LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 01-16-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
waltherguy
User

Default S Krieghoff 4200 on auction arms

Wondering if anyone else noticed this? What a shame... Isn't ser 4200 the last number in the Late "S" code? I'm guessing someone with Thor's skills could restore this?

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...%20luger%209mm
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

It would take a lot of work. Ted is not set up to remove the nickle I do not beleive, and then some of the writing would have to be fixed. I was outbid around $750, figured I did not want to go much higher...

I bet it goes for another $100-$150.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
waltherguy
User

Good to know Ed, ya.. I looking at the price now and I'm very tempted.. But all said and done total money into the gun to make it right might not be worth it.. Still tempting though! :-)

Correct me if I'm wrong.. but the side plate should not be numbered with the "00"? If it is supposed to be numbered, it looks a bit big from the pics.. but its hard to tell.
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Very good, I am not up on Kreigs, but a certain friend of mine said the sideplate was wrong! Yes, Mustang-Ed is me on auction arms, I think on gunbroker too....

My one and only krieghoff is a very early S date, so i was tempted for the heck of it.

I personally think it is worth around $1000, only because it is a kreighoff. That said, if it was a simson, I would be trying for it a bit harder , but not a lot more money either
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
waltherguy
User

Good Call Ed, it ended at $895.. I was tempted to Bite.. Others will come my way.. I don't have a Kriegoff, someday
Unread 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #6
Navy
RIP

I know of a *minty* S code that MAY come on the market shortly. Pls contact me off list if you have interest.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 04:08 AM   #7
Alx
User

As for the plated Krieg, it looks relatively or maybe even totally unbuffed. If it was plated soon after the war, and only chemically stripped first, or plated simply over the original finish, ( which could explain the extremely poor condition of the plating now ), the guns metal underneath may be nearly untouched and new.
The best looking Luger I ever saw came into my possession with flaking chrome plating, which I had ELECTRO-stripped by a company which does plating of stuff like home hardware etc. The gun looked crisp and square under the plating, so I took the chance and bought it, on the cheap of course.
The plater only charged $50 . ( I disassembled most of the parts of the gun, except the toggle train, and bagged them according to size. Springs and pins in one bag, medium size parts in another, larger parts, and then in the fourth bag, the frame, and cannon. Carefully listed the parts and the bags they were in, with count, to make the plater's job easier for him to keep track of. They wire the parts together in strings, and hang them in the dip while the chrome is sucked off electrically.
I gave them strict instructions to not touch the metal with any abrasives, no carding, no sanding, buffing. They electro-dipped and stripped the parts I gave them, and when I got them back they looked like new millings. The still wet-from-rinsing parts had a slightly frosted evenly dull finish that looked a bit like light bead-blasting, but very flat, square, proper curves, and NO scratches, no wear, no scuffs; amazing. The metal was totally protected by the plating for the last sixty years, and was in pristine shape. Just needed skillful blueing to be a new gun.
In fact, the freshly exposed new metal really looked so much better that I considered just keeping it and leaving it in the white. I wish I had taken photos of it when assembled, but I sold it almost immediately for several hundred dollars more than I paid. ( I only keep Imperial Lugers. ) The Luger collector buyer took it at the first price I asked, which was of course not as much as I should have asked.
Anyway, depending on the condition the gun was in before plating, and the plating pre-process used, there is real value inside alot of these ugly plated Lugers.
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
Fritzer
User

Ed,

Thor did remove the plating for a friend's S/42 a couple of years back.
He shipped out a silver luger, and recieved back a beautiful example of Ted's fine work. Don't know if he's still doing it today - but it was included back then.

Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
Pete Ebbink
User

Fritz,

I recall the Simpsons LTD shop sold an S-Code a two years or so ago that was well into the 82xx serial range.

It was listed in their old catalogue of Nov/Dec 2004...asking was $ 3950.

IIRC...I think I asked about this one on the LF in the past. Replies were that the "pulling" of frames at the HK factory in a bass-ackwards fashion could result in such a high serialled S-Code.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote