LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 03-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Walt NW
User

Default Early Krieghoff question

Quickie question for the Krieghoff experten.
Both the "Blue Book" and the "Standard Catalogue of Firearms" begin their Krieghoff listings with the 1923 DWM/Krieghoff Commercials with the blank or 1921 chamber date and the backframe Krieghoff stamping. What year did Krieghoff rework the DWM's for the military resulting in the 1920 double date and only the Krieghoff "lazy N's" on the right side of the receiver and frame rail for identification as a Krieghoff rework? Appreciate any info.
Walt NW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

Can anyone near their HK books look up a reply for Walt...?

I hate to see a Member's quiry go unanswered...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2005, 11:51 PM   #3
RockinWR
User

Walt/Pete,
* Not a Krieghoff expert; but, a quick scan of Still's, Weimar Luger and Gibson's, The Krieghoff Parabellum suggests the "i" block guns were acquired in 1920 from DWM and reworked in 1921.
* I suspect Krieghoff could make a commercial rework available any time in the 20's or very early 30's for the "right" contract or $'s. Just a lot of other firms were attempting to survive by doing the same including BKIW(DWM).
* Hopefully this will get the ball rolling until the real experts weigh in.
Respectfully,
Bob
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2005, 09:15 PM   #4
Walt NW
User

Little extra info. Thanks to the gang on the forum back in 2000, we concluded my luger was indeed a Krieghoff rework due to the horizonal crown N's on the right side of the receiver and frame rail. Apparently it started life as a DMW artillary, went through one re-work where the barrel was replaced with a 4" 9MM and a new rear sight to compensate for the loss of the normal artillary sight. The new rear sight, by the way, is stamped with the crown RC. This first re-work may have been by Krieghoff as their Lazy N was also stamped on the breech block,barrel, and front toggle link and may have been intended for commercial use. It was, however, apparently confiscated by the military, receiving the '1920' acceptance mark and then the S.P.D. of the Dresden police. Sometime later, it was re-worked again, this time with the buffing heavily defacing all the Krieghoff markings except those on the right side. This may have been done by the police in the late 20's or early 30's. No Nazi or W.W. II markings are on it, so it can be assumed that it remained with the Dresden police. Have only found 3 others of these throughout many years of searching with both Krieghoff and military markings and no "Krieghoff" stamping on the receiver. All W.W. I markings, imperial eagles, inspectors marks, serials, etc. are sharp and clear. As on the original post, since firearms cataloges seem to make no mention of this Krieghoff varient, I was wondering when or if Krieghoff did any re-works for the Weimar military. All info is greatly appreciated.
Unread 04-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #5
Walt NW
User

P.S
Strangeness of the buffing over the Krieghoff markings on barrel, breechblock and side of toggle. Nothing else appears to have been touched. It seems apparent that this was deliberately done to obscure the Krieghoff connection, yet those on the right side of the receiver and frame rail only took a light hit and are still quite clear. Another mysterious example in the Wonderful World of Lugers.