LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
Blasfimus
User

Default Most fun/comfortable to shoot in the 1k price range?

Recently I've been saving up to buy a Luger and have noticed that there are many other pistols for a little less that I could be getting. Unfortunately I have almost no hands on experience with most of them and am curious what any of your opinions are on your favorite pre 1945 pistols to shoot? I don't shoot often I just believe if I have a gun I have to shoot it. For example I've been looking at the Steyr 1912 nazi in 9mm Luger. Let me know what you guys have in mind!
Thabks!
Blasfimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

If you are talking military pistols, I would recommend a post-war 9mm P-38 (West German P-1). They can be had for just a few hundred dollars. Highly dependable. High availability of spare parts if you need them. Not so for the Steyr 1912, and I am highly suspect that the Steyr 1912 would hold up in continuous use of modern 9mm ammunition.

Eastern Bloc (Russian, Polish, Bulgarian, etc.) 9mm Makarov pistols can also be had for a lot less money than a Luger.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The P38 design sacrifices accuracy to reliability. My choice on a $1,000 budget of a prewar Walther for shooting would be a moderately used Zella Mehlis PP in .22LR. Its postwar Manurhin counterpart shouldn't cost over $800 in near mint condition. For a prewar centerfire pistol in the same price range, look for a S&W M&P or a Colt Official Police.
Unread 04-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #4
Blasfimus
User

Thanks for the fast replies! The p-38 would have been a great example however I already own one. I'm looking for something in the more unique or uncommon field. My prime goals that I know of would be an original Red9 with original stock or a Bergmann 1910/21. However both are far out of my price range and as much as I love the C96 visually, I just don't find them fun to shoot, plus for that premium price I wouldn't even want to shoot it. Even a shooter grade Bergmann is next to non existent.
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Of all weapons referenced above, the C96 remains by far the most effective sidearm. Here's what Timothy Mullin had to say upon reviewing it among The 100 Greatest Combat Pistols:
Quote:
The men who used this pistol had a very serious fighting handgun. It is fast to use, accurate, and powerful. The M96 [sic] is a good gun that only reveals its qualities in the hands of those who are sophisticated enough to use it as it should be used: as a fighting tool, not a remote-control paper punch.
The 5300-11 C&R list exemption from the NFA provisions for a C96 accompanied by an original holster stock affords a great advantage at longer ranges. At one time, 5300-11 did not require stocks for the C96 and its likes to be original, so using a reproduction stock was not considered an NFA violation. Regrettably, ATF has since updated its C&R list to "correct" this oversight.
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
kzullick
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Why not try for a mismatched Artillery Luger? You might pay a little more but it's a fun shooter.
kzullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
nukem556
User

Well, you cant go wrong with a Hi-Power....one of the all time great pistols....reliable, feels good in your hand, and has history behind it. You might be able to get a war time Inglis model under 1K if you look hard enough.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to nukem556 for your post:
Unread 04-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
Blasfimus
User

I'm not supposed to a luger I just hear they can be finicky to shoot and if there's a gun that's just as uncommon but more fun to use I may be better off. I suppose the question was supposed to be "any pistols more reliable and comfortable to shoot at the range in comparison to the Luger that would be similar in age and designs" I have a bolo Mauser I plan to get reworked as it's a Chinese import. But from what I gather from the earlier post, a Steyr 1912 isn't exactly worth trading out in place of a Luger.
Unread 04-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

One great shooter is the Swedish Lahti in 9mm. Built like a tank, great ergonomics, affordable, reliable and accurate. Down side is that they are big and heavy for a single stack 9.
Also, on a side note, consider a Nambu. Still affordable, and actually pretty well made, if you can get past the early oriental styling. Also a bit enemic in the firepower dept, and expensive to shoot.
9mm brooms can be a hoot too...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Another gun choice would be an Astra in 9mm. They look different and are fun to shoot.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
318is_Parabellum
User

Think about a Radom! Also known as the VIS or, as the Germans called it, the Pistole mod 35(p), it is essentially a 9mm single stack 1911 type with some interesting features.

I would also recommend a P .38, if you didn't already have one. My very early Spreewerk P. 38 will put all 8 rounds into a single hole at 7 yards. There are a lot of import-marked Russian capture examples out there that can be had relatively cheaply ($500 to $700 range). I would avoid the postwar P. 1's, as the aluminum frames commonly crack and fail with much use (hence the addition of the steel hexagonal reinforcement pin).

Another good choice would be an Argentine Systema Colt. They are nearly exact clones of a 1911a1. They were manufactured on Colt machinery, under the supervision of Colt employees, and were manufactured out of the best steel available at the time
318is_Parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
Blasfimus
User

These are all great. I collect as well as shoot so I may be getting many of these down the line. While were on the subject, my ideal luger is the Finnish Luger with the older 30luger barrel length but in 9mm. It's the only way to get that barrel length in 9mm. So if anyone has one is good shape I'd love to buy it!
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
danielsand
User

I'll go East!

Browning system Tokarev in 7.62x25. I HIGHLY recommend Yugoslavian version (M57). Holds one round more than Russian (Chinese, Hungarian, etc.), and if you never fired one, be ready for a surprise. It also comes in 9x19, if so desired (simple barrel swap will shoot both calibers!).

Bottle necked 7.62 is a HARD hitting round, and it's muzzle velocity approaches those of .357 magnum. It goes through ballistic vest level II, like a drillbit through the chesee (at 10 yards). CHEAP, easy to maintain, well made pistol.

TT33 (Tula-Tokarev 1933) was a blunt copy of the Browning design, chambered for the Eastern Block round. It was the standard sidearm of MANY countries that made their own versions, and IMO, Yugo version has the nicest finish, and several "modern" upgrades (mag safety, thumb operated frame mounted safety, etc.). They can be had for a song these days, in "unissued" condition. Basically,.......an Eastern 1911.

The pistol is THIN, easily conceleable (if desired), and POWERFULL. It's not "pretty" ("eyes of the beholder"), but it served well in WW2 (Red Army), and it was in service in several countries untill 90s. The ONLY drawback is the single stack, single action design, but as we all know,....shot placement is EVERYTHING. If one can not accomplish the task with nine rounds, fifteen (or more) will not do it either.

Youtube search will show you what I'm talking about.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Blasfimus
User

I used to have a yugo tokerev! It was really cool! But the surplus ammo was terrible and you need to durAstically adjust the sights to hit what your aiming at. I traded it for a shotgun which I traded for a Webley. Also while were on the subject of military handguns, what could I expect to pay for a Ppsh rebuilt from the parts kits? I've seen the Suamis and wouldn't mind settling with one of those but can't find any anymore for a good price
The following member says Thank You to Blasfimus for your post:
Unread 04-24-2014, 02:15 AM   #15
Geo99
User

Get yourself a nice shooter Luger, there are many around for well under $1K.

I was thinking of getting a Steyr 1911/1912 to shoot too. But then I read about them being able to put your eye out with a fairly common firing pin failure. I decided I will own one, but never shoot one. Just something to be aware of.

- Geo
Unread 04-24-2014, 03:48 AM   #16
Blasfimus
User

Had no idea about the firing pin! Thank you!
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #17
ChrisLL
User

Just throwing it out there ... how about a CZ 24? From what I hear they are reliable, lots of fun to shoot, parts are available, and ammo is available (.380).

I don't have one, but have a CZ 70 I love, and I am told the 24 lives up the the CZ reputation. Seems like a nice one goes $400 - $500 or so.

Chris
ChrisLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
danielsand
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasfimus View Post
I used to have a yugo tokerev! It was really cool! But the surplus ammo was terrible and you need to durAstically adjust the sights to hit what your aiming at.

Different worlds, different shooting techniques. Yugoslavian Peoples Army (JNA) states in the M57 training manual, that the pistol is shot SINGLE HANDED (with a weak hand behind one's back!), standing sideways, at the shiluette target at 25 meters, with "6 o'clock" hold. IF shot as such, (the way the sights were installed), it groups under 3inches on the above mentioned target. To qualify with the pistol, the shooter needs to put all nine rounds into 5" circle, on that target (center mass, or close to it).

I shot MANY of them (in YU and USA), and they all performed as intended. "Weaver stance", POA shooting requires different sights. That's all.

New production ammo (NOT surplus) is available from "Prvi Partizan" ("First Partizan") factory in today's Serbia.
danielsand is offline   Reply With Quote