LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-24-2002, 09:41 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default OT-Change subject (long)

While ya'll working out those other problems how about giving me some advice. I was coming in from coyote hunting at dusk yesterday and this strange looking animal crawled in front of me. It was a dang armadillo. I've never seen one here in N.Ala in 30+ years of hunting. It looked at me sorta strange, so I kicked at it and it rared up and made some wierd noise. My gun was cased so I went for my pistol. The thing got aggressive I think. Got the pistol out and took aim but couldn't figure out where to shoot it. Never shot one of these gladiator possoums before. Ugly thing. If you hit it in the head can it keep on going like a chicken or do you have to shoot it somewhere else? Will a .32 even faze it with all that armor? Does it attack if its wounded? So I put up the pistol and got in my 85 camo dodge pickup and decided to just run over the nasty thing. But do you hit it center like a big raccoon, or use a tire like with a squirrel or cat, or hit a glancing blow with a fender like on a big dog? It finally crawled away. Questions: Are they poisonous? Do they attack? Are they day or night animals? Can they jump? Do they climb trees? Where do they sleep? What size gun is best to shoot one? How do you know if they are dead? What do their tracks look like? What do they eat? Do they make good pets? Do they answer predator calls? Do they hunt in packs? Do they bite if you step on one in the dark? Do they like creek bottoms or ridges? This is very new to me and as much time as I'm in the woods I need to know.

Roadkill

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:07 PM   #2
Orv Reichert
RIP

Default Put the Bottle away..and take a nap! (EOM)

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:23 PM   #3
Roadkill
User

Default Re: Put the Bottle away..and take a nap!

Can they swim? How do they mate? Do they have litters or lay eggs? What do they sound like in the dark?

Roadkill

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:40 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts
Default Re: OT-Change subject (long)

Are you sure it was an Armadillo and not the rare Miniature American Rhinoceros? At dusk it is difficult to make out the details. If you do shoot one, please don't shoot it in the....I'm sorry, I just can't go on, it is too horrible.

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:47 PM   #5
Terrapin

Default The ones that can fly have nervous colons. EOM

I crack myself up.

Unread 04-24-2002, 10:55 PM   #6
treebeard
User

Default Armadillos do Jump!

In my insensitive youth--in a state that considers these things as a danger to river levees-- I shot one with a .32 HSC. The critter jumped about three feet straight up--came down and disappeared before I could get off another shot--as a result I now believe a .32 in not enough gun. In certain circles down here they are considered as good food--especially in a gumbo with other undentified meat. Seriously-These animals carry Leprosy and have been known to infect humans--usually by being cut by the bones when cleaning them prior to cooking.

Unread 04-24-2002, 11:03 PM   #7

Default Re: Armadillos do Jump!

We only have sharks and alligators here (as far as I know). A 44 magnum works fine on these, it should also work on an armadillo.

Unread 04-24-2002, 11:46 PM   #8
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Armadillos :D

Roadkill,

A 32 is definitly not enough gun. You need a Long bbl 30 Luger loaded with hot 60 gr Gold Dots. It will make them jump about 4 feet high and come down dead. They are night animals and will bite. However they are shy and will usually slowly shuffle away if they see you. They have poor eyesight and if you are quiet and move slowly you can sneak up pretty close to them. They cannot climb trees, but can dig like h---. My yard is full of holes where they have dug up grubs to eat.

They taste like pork ( so I'm told by those whose appetites are braver than mine). They are not poisonous, but are known to be carriers of Leprosy.They will not attack when wounded, unless they have recently raided a Lonestar Beer Truck. The Texas version, which naturally is much larger than the ordinary run-of-the-mill 'dillo, has been known to gang up and overturn Lonestar Beer trucks and go on drunken sprees. A drunken Texas Armadillo is something to be reckoned with! It is advisable to give it a wide birth. It is not known why they only attack Lone Star Beer trucks and ignore trucks carrying other brands. Some kind of "Texas Thing" I suppose. I have been told that fresh "roadkill" is more tender than those taken by other means. I suppose if one was run over by a Humvee, it would be even more tenderized!

Unread 04-25-2002, 12:14 AM   #9
bh

Default Re: Armadillos :D

hugh....as a fellow texan......you have a line of bull**** that does us all proud!!!!!!!

Unread 04-25-2002, 12:24 AM   #10
Steve
User

Default Re: Armadillo PhD

Which one of you Texans has the Ph.D. in Armadillology? One of you must since it stands for "Piled Higher and Deeper"!

Unread 04-25-2002, 06:37 AM   #11
Roadkill
User

Ya'll ain't serious. Whay am I gonna do when I meet up again with one? This sounds like a new excuse to get a "specialty" gun like Hugh has.

Roadkill

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:00 AM   #12
Thor
User

ANY loading in a 45 acp should do the trick, I have an awesome 700 ft-# load I fire out of a large frame revolver (yikes....the "r" word) with a 146 speer half jacket hollow point at 1425 fps that used to demolish with much aplomb those bowling pins when I shot in the matches. Watching the splinters fly was fun and that KABOOM was pretty impressive too. Watch our for those SNAIL RATS! Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-25-2002, 08:27 AM   #13
Thor
User

My 240 WBY with SX bullets would do the trick as well. Red mist and armor plates

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:45 AM   #14
Jim Van Eldik
User

Be respectful guys. The armadillo is one of the driving forces behind our movement to keep and bear arms. I have seen some of the most liberal tree hugging get in touch with your feminine side pinkish PC Jane Fonda forever folks RUN OUT and buy a shotgun once they've had these critters grubbing in their well manicured lawns. By the way, they are immune to shotguns.

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:46 AM   #15
Thor
User

I used to hunt Jack rabbits with a 7mm Magnum loading 120 Hornady HP at 3500 fps, WOW......spectacular.

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:46 AM   #16
Jim Van Eldik
User

Be respectful guys. The armadillo is one of the driving forces behind our movement to keep and bear arms. I have seen some of the most liberal tree hugging get in touch with your feminine side pinkish PC Jane Fonda forever folks RUN OUT and buy a shotgun once they've had these critters grubbing in their well manicured lawns. By the way, they are immune to shotguns. JV

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:49 AM   #17
Jim Van Eldik
User

Sorry for the duplicate guys. It's worth reading twice right?

Unread 04-25-2002, 08:49 AM   #18
Roadkill
User

Look ya'll. I'm serious. I hunt coyotes with a AR15 in 223 but I refuse to insult this finely tuned instrument by lowering its status to shooting one of those gladiator possoums. I'm not going to do it. I carry a Walther PP for tracking downed coyotes in the rocks/high grass and for the "lights out" finale should they require further attention. If this is a little light then I'll use something else, but it needs to be on the easy to carry side. I bet a shooter Luger would work.

Roadkill

Unread 04-25-2002, 10:50 AM   #19
Roadkill
User

I just read all this again, and I'm not a whole lot better off than before. I realize this might be a little pay back for the not being able to find the hammer on my luger bit, but I can handle it. So far I know that shotguns won't work, they dig in the ground, they like beer, they can jump, the bigger the gun the better & liberals hate them (so they aren't all bad), they carry leporsy,and some folks eat them but very carefully. Do you use beer as a cover scent and we don't have Lone Star here in Alabama do what's the next best brand? My wife is a very patient lady or she would not have put up with me for 27 years, but if I take a six pack out out of the fridge and say I'm going to hunt these gladiator possoums she will not believe me, much less what the game warden might say with me sitting out in the woods with beer poured all over me & empty cans spread 360' around and with a very high powered exotic firearm.Nobody told me yet how to run one down in my 85 camo dodge pickup but since they are often seen as roadkill somebody has got to know how. And I don't think "a guy from Texas said this is how you do it" would work.

Roadkill

Roadkill

Unread 04-25-2002, 11:25 AM   #20
Thor
User

How do you call them? A coyote call probably wont work. Try clacking a couple of full cans of beer together, or take some snail shells and clang them together and moan a little! Couldn't hurt! I think you missed the Armadillo purse, that was a hoot!!!!! Thoradillo