LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-17-2002, 12:41 PM   #1
Thor
User

Default Auction Luger

Seems to have both sear and mag safety??

Auction Arms.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=2597380

Ted's Luger Strawing Service
Unread 04-17-2002, 01:04 PM   #2
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts
Default Re: Auction Luger

Ted, It is very unuseual to see a mag safety left installed. In fact I have never seen one. This seems to be there but hard to see with the grips in the way. Jerry Burney

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:15 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Naw, under magnification the mag safety is clipped

but the sear safety is present...

-John

Unread 04-17-2002, 01:50 PM   #4
tom
User

Default Re: Naw, under magnification the mag safety is cli

Look at the halo around the 66 on the toggle rear...

Tom

Unread 04-17-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
tom collins

Default Re: Naw, under magnification the mag safety is cli

do you think there has been some photoshop work done here? if so, it's a very careless mistake.

Unread 04-17-2002, 02:01 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole!! (EOM)

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:39 PM   #7
Edward

Default WATCH OUT! Sig380 is a ..!

.... Text disappeared

Unread 04-17-2002, 04:49 PM   #8
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default Don't know about scam, but . . .

wouldn't touch his auctions with a 10 foot pole!!!

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:16 PM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Edward, Hearsay evidence of wrongdoing... :(

is not permitted on this forum by the owner & operator.

While I can understand your motives and intent is to warn the users of this board about someone you may suspect of shady dealings, Unless the bad experience with this seller was personally your own, please don't post it here...

All persons with an interest in Lugers are welcome on this board. but I urge you to please read the Forum Decorum document (there is a link at the top of the Message Board Page, or you will find it under General Information) for further information about rules and terms of use...

Thanks for understanding...

regards,

John Sabato

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:19 PM   #10
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Technical Inspection of photographs reveals

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts
Default Re: Technical Inspection of photographs reveals

Good analysis...but consider this. I am sure the poor doofus that was responsible for making up this police Luger was really concerned about what collectors in 2002 would think of his number placement. The halo around the numbers indicates stamping after blueing, but sometime a long time ago. I look for halos when I am trying to detemine authenticity. Refinishing grinds off the original raised metal around a stamping that produces the halo. There are fakes and then there are legitimate re-works. I would side with the latter. Not criticizing, just observing.

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:25 PM   #14
tom
User

Default Re: Technical Inspection of photographs reveals

I agree; this piece is a Weimar period police rework IMHO. A legit collectable.

Tom

Unread 04-17-2002, 06:47 PM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Carrying the forum guidon is everyone's job :)

Unread 04-17-2002, 07:02 PM   #16
bill m
User

Default Looks okay to me!

Hi,

The Weimar Lugers are different than the Imperial Lugers and can be either reworked of Imperial Lugers or of new manufacture. The number placement, style, and size can be a combination due to when they were put on. When you start considering number placement and "halo's" on these reworks, and comparing them to Imperial Lugers, you are mixing "apples and oranges", so to speak. This partucular Luger was reworked, more than likely twice by the police. You do not know if the TOGGLE is the original one, or just pieces of the original one. The "66" could have been put on some of the parts anywhere from 1919 to 1933, so it would be very possible to even have a different style and still be correct for this variation. Weimar police Lugers have a lot of commercial Lugers re-routed to the police and then numbered in the military style, so you see a "halo" on a lot of the numbers, which is absolutely correct for these models.

Unread 04-17-2002, 07:34 PM   #17
bill m
User

Default Change your policy

Hi John and John,

Although I see your concerns, I feel this forum is suppose to be to share Luger information, new purchases, new information, all Luger related information, including bad experiences. I'm not a lawyer and actually do not have much use for them, smiling, but understand the concerns about law suits and libel suits, slander, and ect., but really feel if you are going to allow posts on praising dealers and recommending certain business people, then you should allow negative feedback also. Personally, I do not think it is right to promote certain people or dealers just because one is a good friend of them, or has had a satisfactory business dealing with them. Not all dealings are positive no matter how good one's reputation is. I have no problem when a question is asked to give the poster a name, but I do not think it is correct for the Forum to basically sponsor, support, suggest, recommend, and promote certain people or business's, and then not allow others to post feedback which suggests a different reaction. Isn't the Forum libel in some way if the people they sponsor, or recommend, and as a direct result of this, are brought into some sort of litigation? In this thread, you have responses saying this gun is not correct, which makes you in some way libel, doesn't it, if it doesn't sell? I'm confused, as it is considered okay to tell someone a gun is a fake, or messed with, or not correct, but not okay to say the businessman's name? You're the boss John, I respect that, and how you want it will be the way it is, just wanted to give you a slightly different opinion on this matter. - bill m

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:11 PM   #18
tom
User

Default Re: Change your policy

I am inclined to agree with my friend and cowboy buddy Bill. While I count as personal friends some of the dealers frequently mentioned on this board, it does appear that a more balanced approach could be possible. All of the auction bbs have a feed back mechanism; perhaps the forum moderator/owner should consider such an option. I believe we have a two fold obligation to those newby collectors entering this fascinating area of collecting history: recognition for those who have treated us exceptionally well and identification of those who have proven by their deeds that they are unscrupulous.

FWIW, the Bayonet Collectors Network works as a group to "encourage" less than fully satisfactory vendors to make good by sending many, many emails to any vendor who has been less than honest with a member and they have never had a legal problem.

FWIW, my zwei pfennig

Tom

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #19
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default That won't happen.

The policy isn't going to change. I think most people - including lawyers - understand the difference between posting substantiated opinions based on first hand knowledge ("Joe Schmoe ripped me off..and here is what happened.." (and being responsible to share both sides of the story)) rather then diatribes such as the earlier post which was nothing more then a "rant" on what someone thinks they may know based what they were told third hand - or even read on another web forum... Give me a break.

This isn't the "National Enquirer" of gun discussion forums, Bill - this is a forum to discuss Lugers - and if someone wants to post second-hand "he's a scum bag cause my friend told me that a friend of his...", let them do it elsewhere. If someone has a good or bad first-hand experience with a buyer/seller - feel free to post it here - but be ready to share all the details ΓΆ?? even the details that may not support your side. Such is the nature of public posting.

In so far as all your questions regarding liability, they are terrific questions, and have been debated throughout the State Supreme courts and Federal Court systems for years. However, operating a website in a manner consistent with it's stated content policies and even with the implied and guaranteed protection under the Federal Governments CDA - it's a lengthy subject. Needless to say, having run interactive, non-moderated sites going on to 5 years - I'm probably pretty much aware of the liability issues involved.

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:33 PM   #20
Thor
User

Default Re: I agree with John

It is a priveledge for us to use this forum only granted by John so I think we need to play by his rules. Must not be too bad, look how it grows, lots of folks are migrating to this environment and forum because we are polite. HE KNOW BEST how far his butt is stuck out for us when it comes to this stuff, he manages tons of site so HE KNOWS OF WHAT HE SPEAKS, I doubt he wants to be constrictive, but he must have these rules to protect not only the site but all that partcipate.

If you want to say something bad about a dealer or person, send a private email TO ANYBODY THAT FREQUENTS the forum, you can get your message out and John is not held responsible. Think about it, John is doing the right thing IMO. Thor

Ted's Luger Strawing Service