LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-18-2001, 11:36 AM   #1
Denny Cox

Default Matching Luger question - Don't Shoot!

Hi all, I have a hypothetical question for you, but I may not be able to explain it very clearly. Please bear with me.

I have a 1937 military mauser from the "r" serial number series. The ejector is the only part not marked with the last two digits. It is unmarked.

If I were to find an ejector stamped with the last two digits of my serial number but from a different subscript (let's say the "c" serial number series), would my pistol be considered "all-matching?"

It doesn't seem like it should be, but as the Forum reminds me often enough, I'm a cherry and my instincts are seldom "right."

For the serious (advanced, superior, godlike or whatever they call themselves) collector: How do you verify that this substitution hasn't happened before, and does it even matter?

I apologize for any sarcasm, but sometimes the Forum is discouraging for a novice on a limited budget who can't compete with the big dogs.

Greetings and best regards from the U.S. Army. -Denny

Unread 12-18-2001, 12:00 PM   #2
Jim Van Eldik
User

Default Re: Matching Luger question - Don't Shoot!

WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

Denny - Remember, stay low and move fast!

Jim

Unread 12-18-2001, 12:03 PM   #3
tom h

Default Re: Ejector vs extractor

Denny, The EJECTOR located on the right side of the receiver should be unnumbered. Perhaps you are confusing the name for the extractor located on top of the breech block, which should have the last two digit of the serial number stamped on top on military PO8s. Since this is an often damaged piece, I'd have no problem calling your pistol matching is it can be replace with an original matching Mauser extractor from the same time period, with the proper die set numbers and the correct matching finish. Tom h

Unread 12-18-2001, 12:12 PM   #4
Denny Cox

Default Re: Ejector vs extractor

My bad, ejector is the incorrect part. I am referring to the extractor. Thank you for your kind correction, Tom.

Is there anyway to search for a time-correct, matching-finish, properly-marked extractor other than haunting dealers' parts boxes and gun shows?

My pistol has been refinished by someone before I got a hold of it, but I'd like to "complete" her before sending her to Ted for resurection.

Thanks! - Denny

Unread 12-18-2001, 01:09 PM   #5
Art Buchanan

I like your style Denny. Don't give up; keep asking questions. Enjoy your Luger

Unread 12-18-2001, 01:37 PM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Denny, we all bark at the same volume here... :</strong>
			</div>
			<hr size=
There are no big dogs who can type!

Enjoy that Luger and I hope you find your correctly numbered part prior to refinishing...

-regards,

John

Unread 12-18-2001, 02:49 PM   #7
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,423 Posts
Default Re: Welcome Denny

Denny, Welcome to the forum. When I first joined I thought there was a real slug fest going on here and was hesitant to get on board. There is simply too much interesting and informative information to not get involved. There are people I learn from here every day.

Put a wanted add on the classifieds to ask others about finding your part with number. It's free. I wouldn't worry too much about finish as your luger has been re finished anyway and you plan to have Ted make it right again with his magic. Good luck! Jerry Burney

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:14 PM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

Above all remember that it is your Luger, and if you would like a matching number extractor, go for it. You only have yourself to please.

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:17 PM   #9
Denny Cox

Default Keep your eyes open...Thanks Jerry

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate your welcome. I put the ad in forum classifieds and sent out e-mails to Marstar, Sarco,and others listed in the links section of this page. For everyone who may see this post, keep your eyes open for a military Mauser extractor marked "61" (finish is unimportant)! You'll make this soldier's day if one surfaces! Thanks again and Essayons! - Denny

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:54 PM   #10
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Isn"t there someone who does renumbering for these parts?

Lonnie

Unread 12-18-2001, 04:56 PM   #11
Luke
User

In a recent conversation with a friend, Luger Expert, I mentioned a "matching" Luger; and he asked,

"Matched?" "By whom?"

Good thought. I wonder how many of our "matching" Lugers were completed by the Luger dealer or another collector.

Unread 12-18-2001, 05:39 PM   #12
Denny Cox

Default Thank you, Luke. My point exactly! (EOM)

Unread 12-18-2001, 05:48 PM   #13
bill m
User

Hi,

I feel there is a very important point here that is being missed when talking about all matching. The small parts were originally issued with the last two digits on all the military models. When one of these small parts is numbered wrong, it means that someone has replaced it sometime. Now, that may not bother you, and it may be the way you received it from the vet and ect., but it still tells us that the part has been replaced and is not like it was originally issued. Does changing this part with one that has the correct number make it all matching? Yes! Does it make it all original? There has been some good discussions on this with mixed feelings. I personally feel that if the part is changed with a part from the same manufacture, with the same finish, and same style of numbers, that no one can tell when it was done, and it add value to the Luger as it no longer is a mis-matched Luger.

Unread 12-18-2001, 05:55 PM   #14
Kyrie
User

Hi Denny,

Welcome aboard

Regarding your extractor question, alas, it would not.

â??Matchingâ? is collector shorthand for â??all original.â? There is one and only one original extractor for each Luger. Once itâ??s gone itâ??s gone forever and the Luger is forevermore mismatched.

This is something folks who are new to collecting donâ??t understand, and sooner or later they all come up with the idea of making up â??matchingâ? Lugers. It doesnâ??t work that way :-(

Taking an extractor from another Luger that happens to have the same last two serial number digits as your Lugerâ??s frame and putting that extractor on your Luger will not make it a matching Luger. It will just make it look like it is matching - in short, a fake. If you were then to offer the Luger for sale as matching the offer would be fraudulent. You could be criminally prosecuted and be subject to civil suit for fraud.

Since you will be having your Luger refinished itâ??s highly unlikely the issue of a swapped part would come up as the pistol will obviously be a â??shooterâ? - and whether or not it appears to be matching wonâ??t matter. But it would be wise to be aware that part swapping does not create a matching pistol.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 12-18-2001, 06:10 PM   #15
Herbert

Default Kyrie is Right on Target

A pistol that is made to match by part substitution may pass the "original matching" test everywhere except in the conscience of the faker.

Unread 12-18-2001, 06:23 PM   #16
Thor
User

Default Re: Matching Luger -A Perponderance?

Is that a word? Anyway, I had a thought! Seldom occurs, I know! Hello fellows, If a guy find another sideplate that has the matching numbers but came form another Luger and he puts it on the Luger he is trying to get all the parts to match, but the take down lever is very very hard to close. He now takes the gun to gunshow and sells it and the new owner is constantly having to use a screw drive to open the take down to field strip and clean the gun and because the side plate doesnt fit properly, this action mars the finish........ Just a thought! And didn't the fonts change a little over time? (I know that is another thought) Thor

Unread 12-18-2001, 06:24 PM   #17
Thor
User

Default Re: Matching Luger -A Perponderance?

Maybe that should have been PONDERANCE!

Unread 12-18-2001, 07:43 PM   #18
Luke
User

Default Re: Kyrie is Right on Target

Without taking a position on whether replacing a part is Kosher, I am very much afraid that many of the Lugers out there were matched by a dealer with access to many parts. And, how would anyone else ever know? For that matter, if any of my Lugers were matched by some dealer or previous owner, how would I ever be able to tell? Further, if I sold one of them, I would surely not be DELIBERATELY passing a fraud or fake to the next buyer. The whole thing is a little disturbing, but we have to live with it.

Unread 12-18-2001, 07:51 PM   #19
66mustang

Default Vet bring back non-collector piece?

As I was in the US Army, I can't tell you and I am under the impression that the Germans were aware of serial numbers. But if a Luger broke a firing pin, extractor or what ever else part in 1916, (1944 mihgt be a better example), I can't imagine that any unit armorer would give a rats ^&* if the number was wrong. In war, if it works, use it. If it was made to function, then so be it.

So, even tho the pistol was taken off of a dead SS Captain, it is a non-collector piece?

Ed

Unread 12-18-2001, 09:48 PM   #20
Big Norm
RIP

Default Arf! Arf! :D

Ain't no big dogs hear. Just me and my little dashound. Too bad I did knot find you sooner. I needed an unmarked ejaculator to put in my thingamaboob. I have a unmarked won butt some darned fool put Russian markings on it. Some French guy wants it butt thats a long swim for me to show it too him. I ended up buying a full toogle set on Ebay to get an unmarked won. Payed way two much. I have a spare butt its marked "50". I vote that you try two find a match. (I haven't had a match since Superman dyed. Hee! Hee!) When you dew, it will make you'r day. Its all part of the fun of collecting. If it ain't fun than it ain't worth doin.

PS

anybody have one of those big ol toogle hingh pins with the big head on it fore a navy Luger?

Big Norm