LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-10-2001, 01:37 AM   #21
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,095 Times in 1,425 Posts
Default Re: KRAUT OFFICERS

David, Tim states in a previous post that Ralph is Ralph Shattuck. I would wish we could stay away from negative references to other nationalities. I am very much against political correctness but I personally find the use of the offensive negative slurs on others a throwback to an abhorrent past that we should bring our enlightned selves to rise above. It is the only gentlemanly thing to do and I am sure the use of such words does not encourage the participation of our European friends and fellow collectors.It only brings bad feelings for those it is intended to hurt and probably makes more than myself ashamed to participate in a forum that would either encourage or tolorate such behavior. While this may have been an oversight on the part of this shadow fellow I find it's use to be, no matter what the intent, to be unseemly. Jerry Burney

Unread 12-10-2001, 03:04 PM   #22
TIMOTHY CANNEY

I agree wholeheartedly! We (myself included in this group), tend to be very negative, especially when it comes to others and their property. Ralph is indeed my friend Ralph Shattuck. As I stated in a previous thread, ANYTHING WAS POSSIBLE AND PROBABLE IN THE FORMER GERMANY. It does'nt make EVERTHING bad or negative! Yes the factory could indeed have placed an insignia in a set of grips without being killed for treason. GI's had allot more on their minds than how someone else 80 years later would judge their war trophies. I like capture papers w/ a gun. Some don't. They can choose not to buy guns with capture papers or even at their discretion throw them in the garbage. Ralph is if nothing else a TOP AUTHORITY on Lugers. I trust him and will continue to solicit his advice when warranted. You don't have to. Until ol' Georg or August Weise comes back to life, it's the best we got!

Best Regards, (I mean it)

Tim

Unread 12-10-2001, 03:33 PM   #23
Art Buchanan

I know some old men who were shot at by Krauts----the term certainly does not offend them.

Unread 12-10-2001, 06:00 PM   #24
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Small Minds

Art, While I do not know your history because you have no profile I will take the liberty to let you know a little of mine. I spent two tours with the 173rd Airborne as a grunt infantryman in the central highlands. I saw things there that have driven men insane. There were many common euphamisms used then and even now that were intended to dehumanize the enemy and make killing him easier on the mind. That is similar to the use of the derogotory term used for Germans.

That a person 55 years later would stoop to this bull**** who has not been directly involved in the conflict and has never had a shot fired in anger come his way, is infantile to say the least and totally uncalled for.

In addition, my Father was with the 8th Army Air Forces and shot down while bombing Germany and spent some years in a German POW camp. I cannot remember over the last 50 years of my life him ever having anything but respect for the people who treated him humanely and with as much care as the circumstances would allow. Granted while not everyone in the European theater was treated humanely there were then and certainly now many Germans who did not agree with the Nazi Party.

Why must we continue with the negative name calling, just because you know some old men who were shot at? I don't think that gives you the right to offend any German who is interested enough to log onto the Luger Forum.

I will ask one more time and then I will have said my piece. Why the use of offensive inflamatory comments? Jerry Burney

Unread 12-10-2001, 08:15 PM   #25
Art Buchanan

Default Re: Small Minds

I supose one could be offended by the term small minds since it appears to be directed at a particular person. To me the word KRAUT is a term long associated with WWII history and is just a figure of speach with no disrespect intended to anyone. Is this a Luger forum or a Political forum for narrow minds? Let's talk about Lugers here and stop the picky crap and continuous jumping on every little thing. Some of the guys that I know off line are afraid to ask serious questions or make a comment because the chosen few eat them up. I spent many years in state government, attended repeated sensitivity training and wrote many affirmative action plans. Maybe I missed something. In 25 years no one ever mentioned that the word kraut was offensive. My point was Jerry----don't jump on guys here. If you don't like the word---then pretend you didn't see it. The word was not directed at you. To whom were you refering as small minds? Probably me, but so what! I would rather talk about Lugers. I am not offended by the small minds words but it does bother me that you kind of made it personal.

Unread 12-10-2001, 09:40 PM   #26
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Give and take

Art, I apologize if you have taken this personally and that would seem to be an antithesis to what I am trying to point out here. I have heard this anti-European rhetoric on the Forum before and it is one of the things that makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

It is my love and interest to talk about Lugers on this great Luger Forum and I think you can see from my posts I do almost exclusively that. However I am wont to call a spade a spade when the occasion calls for it and please do not take my comment of "small minds" to heart personally. It refers to anyone who wants to claim it. All I am saying is the World is hard enough as it is why make others miserable. As for the word Kraut do you mean to say this is an affectionate term for the German people? If you do not think it is offensive, is it perhaps descriptive? Somehow I think something is missing here. Jerry Burney

Unread 12-11-2001, 12:53 AM   #27
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Give and take (EOM)

Unread 12-11-2001, 01:01 AM   #28
The Shadow Knows

Default KRAUT

The shadow.......and all his forebearers are KRAUTS!

so, what is the big deal....lighten up, you guys.

Unread 12-11-2001, 03:03 PM   #29
Dok
RIP

Default OK... Enough with the "KRAUT" thing...

this topic is "Off Topic" and inflammatory. The arguement that a word is just a figure of speech, is in itself highly subjective, it's a figure of speech to the speaker, but something else entirely to a listener. The word "Kraut" and the word "Nigger" belong in the same class of words as far as I'm concerned and there is no place for them here. So let's drop that part of the thread and get back on topic, or I will kill the thread.

Dok (Webmaster)

Unread 12-11-2001, 03:12 PM   #30
Dok
RIP

Default Do any of you remember...

sidhartha (a new poster) asked a question about his Luger before you all went off on a tangent. A return to him might be in order...

Dok

Unread 12-11-2001, 04:07 PM   #31
Thor
User

Default Re: OK... Enough with the "KRAUT" thing...

Sounds good to me!

Unread 12-11-2001, 04:59 PM   #32
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: My apologies

Gentlemen, I want to apologize for anything I said that may have seemed personal. I know no one that is a regular on the forum that I would sling arrows at. It is certainly not my intention to anger those whom I wish to associate with. Thanks for the offline support. Again my apologies, especially to Art Buchanan. Jerry Burney

Unread 12-11-2001, 05:45 PM   #33
Art Buchanan

Default Re: My apologies

Accepted.

Unread 12-12-2001, 03:27 AM   #34
Wombat
User

Acck! I haven't checked this messageboard in awhile, and the first thing I see is this thread... I don't like the word 'kraut' (yes, i'm german). Also, I don't like the term "YANK" either. Ya know, when people from UK, or Australia call us Americans that. Cause, I'm from Georgia and all

Unread 12-12-2001, 03:54 AM   #35
JuergenG
User

Thanks, Dok !

Juergen from Germany

Unread 12-13-2001, 09:29 PM   #36
Jim Van Eldik
User

Wombat:

There is no such word as "Yank" in Georgia.

(see "Damyank")

Jim