LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-19-2001, 08:15 PM   #1
Joe Truchard

Default !910 DWM Bareback

I recently purchase a 1910 DWM Barebutt Luger at a gun show

in Austin, Texas. It appears not to have the toggle holdopen

capability when the last round is fired nor will it stay open when the toggle is pulled back. Is this correct or is there something wrong with the pistol? Otherwise the luger

was in very good shape with two original mags.

Unread 06-19-2001, 08:28 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: !910 DWM Bareback

The holdopen feature was not standard until in the 1913 model. Most earlier militaries had the holdopen retrofitted; so yours may have escaped being fitted with one. Is your 1910 serial numbered in the commercial or military style?

Unread 06-19-2001, 08:52 PM   #3
BILL
User

OK, pardon me pardner, but what is the 'bareback/barebutt' context? (Been around horses and Lugers so you don't have to mince any words).

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:05 PM   #4
Hugh
RIP

Bill,

I think they are referring to the fact that it doesn't have a stock lug; hince "bareback/barebutt".

Unread 06-19-2001, 09:46 PM   #5
mac

MOst of the early lugers were modified to have a hold open latch but your 1910 began life without a hold open. It also did not have a stock lug as you note and if you look at the sear bar, it may have a long extension surface that was trimmed back on many lugers after 1916. The nonemclature "3rd issue" describes a 1910-1913 luger that has an added hold open, shortened sear bar, and one other modification I am not sure of. Yours sounds like a "1st issue" but only removal of the cannon (luger top half) to reveal the hold open area can confirm this. Sometimes, it is due to a worn magazine.

Congratulations on a nice early luger. I won an auction through Sterling of Tennessee when I first entered luger collecting. Dated 1910 and s/n 4851b, I never received the notice to pay and my contact to the auction house was not returned. I have been wondering what the auctioneer did with that luger ever since. Needless to say, I don't fool with that outfit any more.

Unread 06-19-2001, 10:01 PM   #6
Tracy

Joe if you are from the Austin area we have a Gun collectors club here.It meets the last Tuesday of the month at 7PM, location the Lions Club building on Justin Lane about 2 Blocks off Lamar.

Bob

Unread 06-20-2001, 08:18 PM   #7
Joe Truchard

Barebutt is what collector's have told me it's called.

That is correct, it has no stock lug. Thanks everyone for the comments. As you can see I am a novice at lugers and just really got interested in them a year ago. Too bad i wasted 60 years of my life without them. They are a joy to shoot and fun to just admire. It's just something about

them that draws my attention like a magnet.

I enjoy reading the postings on the forum. And I think

dok has done a great job. I think Ted is always the gentleman. So are the other founders. Thanks again for

making the forum an everyday part of our lives.

Unread 06-20-2001, 08:41 PM   #8
Rick K
User

Default My sentiments exactly :) (EOM)

Unread 06-20-2001, 09:36 PM   #9
Thor
User

Thank you Joe, I can really be a horses butt, but when I feel the urge coming one, I usually try to exit the forum for a day or so! You guys are my dear friends and the last thing I want to do is make one of you angry with me. Your friendship is worth a lot! But ask Natalie, I can be a real bear, nobody would like me much when that happens! It just isnt worth it to me! I cant do anything much about getting older......but hopefully.....I can get a little smarter!! Thor

Unread 06-20-2001, 09:46 PM   #10
BILL
User

Where else can you talk about Lugers? (maybe a gun show..maybe). Where else can you ask a question and have it answered so quickly by so many knowledgeable folks? (nowhere).