LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:27 PM   #1
George Bough

Default Persian Luger

HI.This is George.I uploaded the pics of my luger.Can anyone tell me where they are.If you can view them meybe you can tell me something about it.Thanks

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:48 PM   #2
BILL
User

Default Re: Persian Luger

Hi George. If you uploaded them as part of your message, well, something didn't go quite right. The biggest problem with uploading a photo that people make is cutting and pasting the http address (since the http and the colon are already provided in the text bar. Can you go back and try again, since I don't think they showed up. If, on the other hand, you sent them to the webmaster to post then they are probably still in his in-basket.

Unread 06-09-2001, 04:56 PM   #3
George Bough

I just tried to upload a pic that wason my computer not on a web page.Do i need to make it a web page first.Thanks

Unread 06-09-2001, 05:01 PM   #4
BILL
User

It doesn't have to be on a web page. You just have to know where it is on your computer and what the file name is. (i.e. C:\Program Files\Adobe Photoshop\Pictures\pistols\persianluger.jpg

The forum's software will upload this from your computer and attach it to your message (so's we all kin see it).

Unread 06-09-2001, 06:01 PM   #5
Wombat
User

Default Pic of his Luger. Which, I also want badly :D

You can send me your Persian Luger, and I'll be more than happy to take some Digital Pics of them.

j/k

George sent me some pics via email, here is one of them:

Pics were a bit blurry and I would suggest using a 'flash' with the camera. Or, more light for sure.

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/Luger/LUGERP~4.jpg
Unread 06-09-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
BILL
User

This is another picture of George's Persian Luger. It is the property of the late Shah of Iran and was a gift to him from a retired US military officer. It is virtually unfired, in it's original box from Mauser and has the dated test target (1936) included. Not shown is the holster. What a piece of history. He believes it has only been fired three or four times. He has all the verification papers. You get to see it first here.

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/Persian.JPG
Unread 06-09-2001, 06:52 PM   #7
Kyrie
User

Hi George,

You have not only a Persian Luger (one of the more rare variations), but a presentation Persian Luger. As this is a one-of-a-kind Luger, I cannot even guess at how many thousands of dollars it would bring if sold. Iâ??d strongly suggest you have it appraised, and insured

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 06-09-2001, 07:01 PM   #8
George Bough

Thanks Kyrie.I think it might be worth 20,000 plus but who would i get to appraise it.I don`t know any.Thanks

Unread 06-09-2001, 07:57 PM   #9
Thor
User

I agree with Kyrie and go slow, the insurance is the first thing and find an authentic appraiser. When people see this gun, they might throw some dollar amounts at you, but I would wait for sure and find out what it is really worth! I would sugguest not only Shattuck but perhaps somebody else like Bob Simpson! I would get two or three estimated and they will have to handle/see the gun to give you an acurate appraisal. These specialty guns must be authenticated as being real and not someones fake up! Just the few pics I have seen indicate on first examination the real deal! WOW, this Beauty could be worth some high dollars. It's importance to history is of paramount importance to Luger Collectors and it must be preserved! Thor

Unread 06-09-2001, 09:03 PM   #10
BILL
User

George, hopefully you can post some really clear pictures of the added inscription in Farsi that is on the pistol. This will shed a lot more light on the history of this excellent example of a Persian Mauser contract pistol. Be really careful when you fold the test target back up, sometimes old paper is really solid appearing until it hits the air and then it falls apart. Great to see this surface out of the closet, George, as this doesn't happen often. Thanks.

Unread 06-10-2001, 04:26 AM   #11
Patrick
User

George, I�´m sure that any of the internationally acclaimed Luger authorities would be glad to charge you for an appraisal. But they would need more information than has been made available as yet.

When was the Mauser made? What is the serial number? Is it fully-numbered? Are the magazines marked with the pistol? If it is a pre-war Luger, why did the U.S. officer take the trouble to present the Shah with a pistol that had been issued in large numbers to his own armed forces or had already de-commissioned? What proof is there that it was ever the Shah�´s property? Who sold it - and how did he get it?

All these questions (and a few more) would have to receive satisfactory answers. Without answers, the engraving is merely detrimental to the value of the pistol. Patrick

Unread 06-10-2001, 08:29 AM   #12
Johnny Peppers
User

Patrick,

Not to speak for Bill, but I think he was just a little excited when he gave the lineage of the Persian. It was the property of the Shah of Iran who presented it to an American general, whose family later gave it to George.

The pistol is a contract piece purchased by Persia in 1936 and 1942. Part of the contract was for standard 4" pistols and part were LP08's. All the markings are in Farsi. The pistols are well documented, but as with any highly collectible piece it should be fully authenticated.

Unread 06-10-2001, 09:55 AM   #13
Patrick
User

Default Re: Persian Luger (?)

I agree. Without further proof, I�´d not be willing to believe any story that goes with a Luger - especially not if the story includes a general, a head of state and/or the SS. Was the Shah in the habit of passing off obsolete firearms from his arsenal to high ranking U.S. military staff?

But, on the other hand, maybe her Majesty the Queen presented my old Webley revolver and its well-blancoed holster to some visiting dignitary. I only hope she had it engraved in Gaelic with a suitable warning as to its general condition.

Unread 06-10-2001, 10:34 AM   #14
MK

I have to agree, the auction boards often have nickel plated or high polish reblue Lugers and P.38s that all seem to have been brought back by Generals.

Mike

Unread 06-10-2001, 11:17 AM   #15
Thor
User

The Shah was in the habit of giving gifts! A retired Colonel in the US Air Force, now in realestate, sold my Mom's house for us after she died. He was the officer in charge of delivering some Phantoms to the Iranian AF (WHEN they were our buddies) during the Shah's regime. He was given an ornate piece of jewelry. It was worth a lot of money. I fully trust this story as this man has full integrity in my view. He was known to tell high tales. I fully believe it! Thor

Unread 06-10-2001, 12:49 PM   #16
Kyrie
User

Hi Folks,

Somewhere in the various Luger reference works there is a story of the Shah of Iran giving a US Officer a Luger. I think there is even a photo of the presentation. This may well be that Luger.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 06-10-2001, 02:05 PM   #17
Patrick
User

... and I�´ve got a picture of the chicken farmer Himmler with a Luger. Mine just could be the same one. Anyone want to give me 20000$ for it? (I�´d even be prepared to have it engraved with whatever�´s necessary - "Sieg Heil!" etc.) Patrick

Unread 06-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #18
BILL
User

Yep, this is really the first item I have seen in a long time that has even slightly raised my LBP (Luger Blood Pressure). When all the facts are known about this piece then we can have all the 'Colonel Erfurt' fun we want. I enjoy that myself. Since nobody is trying to sell me anything, or impress me for that matter, I have no reason to be mistrusting. I believe the history that was related to us and we have seen pictures..let's just wait and see. I am not trying to influence anyone here to 'believe' anything, just thought we were all interested in Lugers. I have reread my posts and apologize if I misled anyone. At this point I will say that it is probably a presentation Luger that was given to a US military officer by the Shah, I am not making any other claims than that. In the scope of all things important, that is maybe a one on the Richter scale (just tought you guys might like to know about it). Full speed ahead.

Unread 06-10-2001, 02:37 PM   #19
Johnny Peppers
User

Patrick,

What is it about the Persian that indicates to you that it is a fake? Maybe you can give us all a lesson.

Unread 06-10-2001, 03:41 PM   #20
George Bough

Kyrie I have the picture of the General on the paper where he registered the gun in Washington.On the paper it says it was a gift from the Shah.If you ever see that story again let me know.I don`t know how how the General got it.His son the Col told me the Shah presented it to him as a gift.The Major General`s name was Vernon Evans.Thank you all for talking about it.If you need to know more about it let me know.I also have more pics of it.