LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-01-2001, 01:18 AM   #1
Rick K
User

Default Chrome Plated Luger

I would be interested to see what you knowledgeable guys think about this Luger on the gunbroker.com auction site.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...sp?item=919254
Unread 02-01-2001, 01:25 AM   #2
Rick K
User

Default Re: Chrome Plated Luger

Oops, let me try again. Too many http's

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...sp?item=919254
Unread 02-01-2001, 03:05 AM   #3
Mike T.

The Luger is marked with "N.S.K.K.", which probably stands for "Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahrkorps". As far as I know, the NSKK was like a state-sanctioned auto club for the Nazi party which eventually provided training for military drivers, transported supplies to the Siegfried Line, drove refugees west from the invading Russians, etc. If the gun was finished by some Nazi car nut in 1940 and not by some American con man in 1995, it would probably be very collectable and very valuable, albeit somewhat lacking in artistic merit. How you would tell whether or not it genuine is beyond my expertise; I am sure statistically speaking that there are a lot more fakes than the real thing around with any of these Nazi-related items. I still remember a few months ago the "presentation-model" Luger with the swastika medallion on the grip being offered on the internet for only $189,000.

Unread 02-01-2001, 07:50 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Mike,

I could not look at the picture due to a firewall from work, but if the Luger is chrome plated, I think it was done post war and feel 99.99% sure this is the case. The German soldier that was issued this pistol was responsible for it and if he lost it would have to pay for a replacement. As in the US Army, they were not allowed to alter the weapon in any way without authorization. A chrome plated pistol was not good for a combat situation and the truck drivers in the German Army were constantly under fire. I don't know what the asking price for the pistol is, but I am sure it is more than it is worth. Without any documentation, it is a rework and not worth that much money.

Marvin

Unread 02-01-2001, 08:46 AM   #5
Dok
RIP

Default I have corrected your URL...

so otheres won't have a problem... (webmaster)

Unread 02-01-2001, 09:26 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Bad Fake... But be afraid, be very afraid.

I concur with Marvin that this pistol is a fake. Very Crude artwork. It is definitely a Weimar military DWM that reworked with a very harsh polish job that has nearly removed all markings--INLCUDING the original serial number. This "60" on the side of the receiver is a restamp just before chroming. While close, the stamp is not the same as the original markings elsewhere. Most likely to cover up the fact that the pistol was STOLEN at some point. The sideplate has been buffed so hard as to remove the two digit serial number and the phony addition of a "60" is intended to make this a matching number gun I guess. This pistol now looks like something a pimp would carry.

Ted, if you buffed your reworks like this one was buffed, you wouldn't have any repeat customers.

The only redeeming quality that I could find appears to be a good magazine, that could possibly be a Haenel extruded type. Again if that is the case, the mag alone is worth about half the asking price.

And speaking of Chrome, it looks like it was sent to a bumper shop for refinishing. The current asking price is 300 dollars. If the grips, which appear to be ivory, were not marred by the poor artistic work they might be worth the asking price.

But because of the probability that this is/was stolen, I recommend staying clear of this piece without some proven documentation on its history.

-John

Unread 02-01-2001, 09:35 AM   #7
Ted
User

Default Re: Bad Fake... But be afraid, be very afraid.

Yes John, I got the same impression, that pistol is a fake. I am dont think it was refinished in Germany but in some place in the States. I dont think the person that polished the metal before it was plated really knew what they were doing, unless they were good at overbuffing! It looks hideous to me! Ted

Unread 02-01-2001, 11:05 AM   #8
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Chrome plated Luger...

There is a plant in a town near me that manufactures lighting fixtures, and many a fine pistol has met the same fate in their plating shop. A few months back I reported a 4000 range American Eagle that was brought into a local gun shop that had had the full treatment. Only one wing of the eagle was still intact, and the serial number and proofs had been buffed off the barrel. The frame serial number was light but still readable. Even the DWM was almost gone.

Unread 02-01-2001, 11:13 AM   #9
Dok
RIP

Default Pearls before swine... :( (EOM)

Unread 02-01-2001, 01:50 PM   #10
Mark
Banned

Default Re: Bad Fake... But be afraid, be very afraid.

The pistol is a Police pistol as evidenced by the sear safety. This should totally discount the fact it is an NSKK weapon, along with the well stamped NSKK in the right frame while all the other markings are nearly buffed off. Another faked Luger by someone trying to make a killing somehow. Or a fantasy piece. A Police Luger being in the NSKK service, with nickel or CHROME plating?? Not hardly.

Unread 02-01-2001, 03:41 PM   #11
BILL
User

Hi Rick,

I saw that gun on the "net auction", and chuckled at the discription. It is a US variation without question. Krieghoff was about the only firm that did any of these presentation pieces in WWII and even most of them are fake. Don't believe any of these bull**** stories unless they provide documentation and then be very hesitate as they even fake those.

Unread 02-01-2001, 04:46 PM   #12
Rick K
User

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was pretty sure it was fake though I'm no expert by any means. I knew that I didn't want it though! It's garish and ugly compared to my DWM and my Mauser S/42 which both have their original finish and grips.

Unread 02-01-2001, 05:27 PM   #13
Dok
RIP

Default It looks like a toy...

you know when they produce that plastic that looks like chrome... that's what I thought of.

Unread 02-01-2001, 06:01 PM   #14
Aaron
Banned

Default Not very expensive

A fake, yes. Ugly, yes. But a non-import shooter at a bid price of $450 is overpriced, but not such a terrible ripoff. Why would anybody put all that unskilled work into a $500+ gun and now be willing to let it go for $450? This is the work of an untalented artist, not somebody looking to cash in on some uninformed sucker.

Unread 02-01-2001, 06:09 PM   #15
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Re: Not very expensive

I believe that this poor effort was probably done within a decade or two of WW2 and the costs would have been less than $100 for the pistol and all the outrageous work that has been done on it.