LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-20-2001, 09:28 AM   #21
Marvin
User

Default Re:G.T. & Plastic Smell

G.T.,

Man, you are one guy after my own heart. I know the smell of Thermoset plastic coming from the mold and it is great! I had not thought about the smells until you mentioned it and I love it.

I know the style machines that were used and I can visualize the workers in the plant placing the poweder charge, seeing the mold close and then opening and getting the hot parts out, and letting them cool a little and then de-flashing. Wow, good memories.

Marvin

Unread 06-20-2001, 09:33 AM   #22
Thor
User

Like working at a chocolate factory, be good for a while, then you would either get sick of it or you wouldnt be able to smell it anymore! Just kidding..........great visual story!

Unread 06-20-2001, 02:37 PM   #23
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Going back in time! :)

Marvin! I'm pretty sure we have covered some of the same trail! I have limited experience in thermo forming plastics, and a little more in thermo setting plastics, especially catalyst accellerated polyester and epoxy resins.....and I have also endured the smell of hot styrene when some projects have gone astray!! It is amazing how a mental visualization can bring back those unforgotten smells, or at least the thought of them.......the work they did in the first half of the 20th century was labor intensive indeed...I often think about the operators and the machines they had to use!! Another smell that I will never forget is buytelrate dope for airplane fabric, I think I can smell it if someone even mentions an airplane wing!! I'll bet Patrick can smell that one while reading this post! (Patrick restores aircraft!!) It certainly was a fun thread! till....later....G.T.

Unread 06-20-2001, 02:56 PM   #24
Patrick
User

Default Off Topic A/c Dope

G.T. The old German gentleman who taught me to cover rag aircraft used to put his head in the drum and breathe in the fumes every morning before work. I suppose he lost quite a few brain cells every time. When the sun had heated up the workshop, the fumes got so bad that you couldn�´t see the opposite wall. I even collapsed once and had to be carted out into the fresh air. I�´ve been told that workers at Piper quite often became addicted. Patrick

Unread 06-20-2001, 03:27 PM   #25
Marvin
User

Default Re: Going back in time - Plastics

G.T.,

It has been a long time for me. After getting out of the Army, I went to work for a company as a mechaincal engineer and one of my responsiblities was the Molding Shop. we had 6 Thermoset machines and 4 Thermoplastic machines. The Thermoplastics was for electical wire plug mostly with PVC. The Thermosets were for Bakelite electrical base plates and then Thermoset molded cases. Most of the molds were 4 or 6 cavity type. We also had problems with extraction of the cases and I can fully understand the problems of removing a Luger grip from the mold. I be the also used a mold release agent to help because of all the fine checkering on the grip. Ah, sweet memories.

marvin

Unread 06-20-2001, 06:16 PM   #26
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Off Topic A/c Dope

Yup! That's the stuff alright! I used to get headaches if I was around it to much, we never had adequate ventilation....sure does make pretty airplanes though! Till....later....G.T.

Unread 06-20-2001, 06:22 PM   #27
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Re: Going back in time - Plastics

Marvin! Don't you wish you knew then, what you know now! You would be like a kid in a candy shop! You definitly have some serious insight into the process used! I'll bet you can see the grips being made in you minds eye! till....later....G.T.

Unread 06-20-2001, 06:33 PM   #28
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Hi Ted! Yes, it's like too much candy, or not enough, you need to reach a middle ground. I saw a program about U-boats where the captain said all their food tasted like diesel oil, so when they got back on land, fresh food had no taste at all to them!! Probably pretty much the same as the chocolate idea!! till....later....G.T.