LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 06-10-2001, 05:16 PM   #21
Thor
User

Default Re: Persian Luger

I think I will look forward to a certified appraiser sees it. When and if it is authentic and George gets offered a lot of money then we will know if it is worth it or it is a fake. I am optimistic it is real! Thor

Unread 06-10-2001, 08:20 PM   #22
Kyrie
User

Hi George,

I'll dig around a bit and see if I can find a reference. The name Vernon Evans rings a bell.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 06-11-2001, 04:59 AM   #23
Patrick
User

Default Re: Persian Luger (?) - Long!

.. I apologise if I sometimes seem sarcastic. Not being a collector - and living this side of the Atlantic, it very often astonishes me how gullible collectors, and how similar the victims of a scam and the perpetrators often are. Whatever the value and authenticity of the Persian Luger under discussion may possibly be, the immediate Pavlovian reaction to an unsubstantiated and somewhat farfetched story sets a price tag of 20.000$! A potential purchaser could even be referred to the Forum, where he would be confronted with glowing testemomials.

On the other hand, the same collectors clamour for protection against fraudulently stamped magazines and other practices that are quite simple to spot if the purchaser is not blinded by the desire to make a quick profit on the basis of very meagre Luger lore - whether it�´s authentic or not.

But maybe the only way to learn about anything is to be taken for a ride by someone else who has also learned the hard way.

That�´s why I sincerely hope that the Persian Luger achieves the 20.000$ mark.

Unread 06-11-2001, 11:33 AM   #24
BILL
User

Patrick, from a collector's point of view the discovery of an historically important Luger is monumental. Sometimes items of this nature have to literally be 'talked' out of the woodwork into a bonafide collection so they are not lost to someone who might just decide to have it chrome plated. Please don't misunderstand enthusiasm for gullibility. I wonder how many Lugers of real importance have been lost to 'suspicious minds'? I agree, always verify something before purchasing it. Don't, however, discount it arbitrarily.

Unread 06-11-2001, 02:35 PM   #25
Patrick
User

Default Sindbad�´s Luger

Bill, admittedly, Persian contract Lugers are not two a penny. And although U.S. generals are more common than others, the Shah wasn�´t exactly over-generous when he handed over an obsolete Luger as a parting trinket. So, if the standard price for a Persian contract Luger in fairly good condition, with its box and original Mauser target is approximately 20.000 dollars (as estimated on the Board), there must be some reason for it that outsiders find it hard to understand. Maybe it�´s something to do with Hollywood. Patrick

Unread 06-11-2001, 02:43 PM   #26
Thor
User

FYI, Shattuck has on current list this Persian, not $20,000 but probably std issue WWII left overs, no side inscription:

Food for thought!

"SHAHâ??S PERSONAL GUARDS LUGER MINT IN AND OUT Price: $6,500.00" Thor

Unread 06-11-2001, 03:01 PM   #27
BILL
User

One more point that maybe some of us might be missing. Upon comparing the standard Persian contract Luger (4") to the one pictured in this thread..there is quite a bit of Iranian engraving on the side that is lacking on other Persians that I have seen (in photos). Since we don't have a clear picture, or can't decipher Farsi characters, it isn't apparent what it might say. If this was, indeed, a gift from the Mauser manufacturing company in 1936 to the Shah (King) of Iran (Persia) then it might be a special 'presentation' pistol for doing business with them, or honoring him in some fashion. All of this is totally speculative based on further research. As Ted points out, even if it is a lowly, commonplace, unused, still in the box, palace guard's Persian Luger (with matching holster, two magazines, cleaning rod and original test target) it is probably worth more than 10K (US dollars). Let's stay tuned and see what the appraisal is. And, as always,..'take me to your Luger'!

Unread 06-11-2001, 04:16 PM   #28
Johnny Peppers
User

I really don't believe a value has been set on Mr. Bough's Luger as the $20,000 was an arbitrary figure offered by someone on the board. Likewise it has not been offered for sale by Mr. Bough. I find it hard to understand why the pistol or it's authenticity has been attacked before anyone knows anything about it. If I had no desire to own the pistol nor the wherewithal to purchase it, I would not attack the integrity of the owner nor the pistol until I knew for certain that the pistol was not correct as described. It would take more than a few out of focus pictures for me to decide one way or the other about the pistol.

Stranger things have happened. Some six or eight years ago an original Springfield M1 Rifle still in the original gas trap configuration came into a Little Rock, Arkansas gunshow. There it sold for $500.00. After changing hands at that show twice, it was sold at the Houston, Texas gunshow for $1200.00. The dealer that bought it at Houston eventually realized almost $60,000.00 for the rifle because he was the first one to recognize what it was.