LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-14-2002, 10:04 AM   #21
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default No Jerry, TWO :) known to exist... and there ma

Most of the "old-timers" here on the board seemed to have forgotten that all the information that we (the Lugerforum) currently have on this remarkable pistol is available on a page on this website that can be reached from the General Information Link to the left...

I have communicated directly with the curator of the Norton Gallery about it's existence, and both Johnny Peppers and Hugh Clark have actually seen the .45 Caliber Luger there...

I have never seen the OTHER one except in magazines...and on the History Channel special... and I do not know who is the current owner... To the best of my recollection, the last time it sold the price was over $800,000.00! and it is now considered to be worth over a million dollars.

Anyone who has a copy of the 1995? Guns & Ammo article that was written about firing that million dollar Luger is encouraged to scan it and have Dok post it as an addendum to the information page on the .45 caliber Luger.

Here is the link to Mike Krause website where a subsequent article for Guns & Ammo was written in March, 1998 by Garry James.

http://www.krausewerk.com/return_45_luger.html

In this article, the existence of the 2nd .45 caliber Luger at the Norton Gallery is not mentioned.

It is my personal belief that one of the reasons that it is not mentioned is that Garry James has publicly stated both in print, and in the History Channel documentary tape on the Luger that there is only ONE known to exist...and he doesn't want to be embarrassed about being mistaken. Since the value of the ONE is now estimated to be in excess of a million dollars based on his claim that it is unique, the existence of a second one might dramatically reduce the value of the first.

In discussion with another member of this forum the last time this came up, I was told that he had attempted to contact Mr. James about the issue and James was completely non-responsive...

I think that our own RON WOOD should do an update to this page and write a short narrative and post a nice gallery of photographs of his Mike Krause reproduction of this amazing piece of history...

How about it Ron? Would YA?

If anyone visiting this site has personal knowledge (or even rumors!) of other ORIGINAL .45 caliber Lugers, please contact me about the particulars... and I will try to run them down and substantiate their existence.

regards to all,

John Sabato

Unread 03-14-2002, 11:45 AM   #22
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: No Jerry, TWO :) known to exist... and ther

There has been rumors for years of the existence of other .45 Lugers, but I know of no knowledgeable collector that has even come close to uncovering one of the pistols. E.S.Meadows mentions the possible existence of other .45 Lugers in his book "U.S.Military Automatic Pistols", but after doing extensive research never came close to finding one of the pistols.

I thought I still had the copy of the article in Guns & Ammo by Garry James on the .45 Luger, but cannot find it. I wrote Mr. James three different letters trying to make him aware of the other .45 Luger at Norton Gallery, but he wouldn't even extend me the courtesy of answering my letters. I was later told that Mr.James figured prominently in the sale of the .45 Luger prior to the article in G&A, and that he helped promote the idea that only one of the pistols existed. There was no way that he would make known the existence of another of the pistols. Supposedly Michael Zomber was the owner of the pistol, but word was that it had been sold to an Indonesian banker and Mr.Zomber was the front man. The pistol never left the US and when the economy started south, the pistol again came up for sale. Last word was that it was in the possession of Richard Ellis.

Maybe someone else on the forum has later information on the whereabouts of the .45 Luger in the article.

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:06 PM   #23
alain capel

Default Re: No Jerry, TWO :) known to exist... and ther

Hello John,

I do have a photo of another 45 Luger.

Having a problem with my scanner I will see if I can solve that or maybe I could send it to Dok by mail to include it here.

Best regards,

Alain Capel

Paris

France

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:21 PM   #24
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Alain, could you elaborate on the Luger of which you have a photo?

Do ou know of it's origin? Who currently owns it? Do you know where it is located? Is it on public display?

Any additional information that you have would be appreciated... and please send me a copy of the photo when you get your scanner problem fixed...

Merci,

John

Unread 03-14-2002, 07:36 PM   #25
alain capel

Default Re: Alain, could you elaborate on the Luger of which you have a photo?

John,

Unfortunately I cannot give you much more info than the picture.

It belongs to someone I know, a European collector, who wishes so far to remain anonymous.

All I can say is that I saw and held the gun. I am still imensely impressed at such an incredible find of The invaluable historic Luger "par excellence".

Will send the picture ASAP.

Best regards,

Alain

Unread 03-14-2002, 08:44 PM   #26
66mustang

Default Alain, this is a copy or an old one?

If it is a copy like Mr. Martz or a Krausework, or one of these others, they are still cool, but if it is an original, that would really be something.

Ed

Unread 03-14-2002, 08:58 PM   #27
alain capel

Default Re: Alain, this is a copy or an old one?

Ed,

I have no idea.

You will judge from the picture I guess.

Alain

Unread 03-14-2002, 09:16 PM   #28
66mustang

Default I'd take a new .45 Luger anyday! But a real one...