LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-31-2001, 10:05 PM   #1
Heinz
User

Default new monthly picture

I like the look of Deaf Smith's Luger. I just could not afford the purple Eldorado that must go with it

Unread 10-31-2001, 10:31 PM   #2
Wesley
New User

Default Re: new monthly picture

My god! what a butt-ugly gun!

Unread 10-31-2001, 10:34 PM   #3
BILL
User

It is amazing to think of the glut of Lugers in the late '50s and early '60s. I do remember being 12 yrs old in Chicago and stopping into an 'Army Store' that had a huge nazi banner across the back, bins of army/navy surplus blankets and a glass display case in the front that had about 150 or more Lugers and P.38s lined up. They were $35.00 each except for some long barreled ones that were $50.00. Of course I had no money and was not old enough to even think about anything other than 'How cool it would be to own one of these German pistols'. It was the summer of 1960 and there were a few 'silver' Lugers that the owner of the shop showed us. They were his "special collection" at the time. It is nice to see one of these again featured on our Lugerforum.

Unread 10-31-2001, 11:31 PM   #4
66mustang

I'm just a little bit young for all that.... Well, I remember in the early 70's, that I saw lots of old ads from the late 60's for Lugers for $35.00 and I thought... Boy, wouldn't that be cool.

Of course Nickle plated Lugers are bright and garish and not acceptable, but I still LIKE 'em! I'd pay at least $40 for one...

Cool picture, I'm sure some will object, but it gives all types a chance to shine, ;>)

Ed

Unread 11-01-2001, 12:50 AM   #5
Viggo G Dereng

Default WASH U MODEM OUT WITH LYE SOAP!

UGLY is very thin ! ! .002" or less

Under that skin lurks a thing of beauty that cannot possibly deserve that form of degradation.

ViggoG and Co.

Unread 11-01-2001, 12:59 AM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default IIIIII Like IT!!! .......

I can tell this gun is no closet queen! I have always liked the white widow's!!! Nice gun Deaf!!! I'll bet it shoots as good as it looks! till...later...G.T.

Unread 11-01-2001, 01:22 AM   #7
Rick K
User

Default The poor thing couldn't help...

what was done to her! She's still formidable enough, I'll say!

Unread 11-01-2001, 11:19 AM   #8
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default WHITE WIDOW ... a new marketing term coined by G.T.

How every bit as appropriate as the term "Black Widow" Good Job G.T.! That's what we should call them from now on... You heard it here on the Lugerforum first folks!

I like the way it looks too. Since a very young man who remembers what Bill is talking about, I have always wished I could afford a set of perfect Ivory grips to fit a finely refinished shooting Luger.

While I wouldn't do this a "virgin" collectable, but I would venture to say that Deaf's Luger shoots at least as well as any of it's peers. And probably has a corrosion free barrel to boot!

Someday, these will also be considered historical pieces by our heirs because there are only so many Lugers to go around!

While they may not bring as much as an un-refinished luger, they still have their place- because they "served" history in no less manner than did their less shiney cousins. The fact that they were "prettied up" by the Vet's of the greatest generation who brought them home only shows how highly they esteemed these special Lugers.

-John Sabato

Unread 11-01-2001, 01:03 PM   #9
Thor
User

Default Re: WHITE WIDOWS-I LOVE IT

I may buy one someday, just for the history aspect of the era. I must say I respect the GIs (my dad was one of them) and the fact that they owned these guns is enough for me to want at least one! "See what the GIs did to their Lugers"

is interesting enough for me want one! I prefer the original blued ones, but I would be proud to have one of these guns previously owned by brave American Patriots. Thor

Unread 11-01-2001, 01:10 PM   #10
66mustang

Default Re: WHITE WIDOWS-I LOVE IT

NO, no, my Grandfather would make up a story, like "And I found it below the Eagles Nest, Field Marshal Goering must have tossed it and that is why he surrendered a .38 S&W!! Some guys will tell you that it is worthless, but I know for a fact that it is probably plated with platnium... blah, blah"

Ed

Unread 11-01-2001, 01:51 PM   #11
Johnny Peppers
User

Not too much of a mystery there. One is factory original and the other is not. A factory engraved first generation Colt SAA is now in the $15,000/25,000 range where one done after the pistol was shipped is a $1000/1500 pistol, and worth less than if it had been left original. Also, Colt will not do repair work on any pistol that has been altered outside the factory.

Unread 11-01-2001, 03:56 PM   #12
BILL
User

I think that there are cases where the 'third party embellishments' are actually worth more than the factory originals. One instance that comes to mind is a Colt that has been adorned with aftermarket Tiffany grips. There are changes that can be made to factory original pistols that increase their value. As with all rules, there are exceptions. I will almost always opt for factory original, though.

Unread 11-01-2001, 04:58 PM   #13
Johnny Peppers
User

Colt used Tiffany & Co. to adorn many of their engraved and embellished pistols. Along with the likes of Schuyler, Hartley, and Graham Co.they would not exactly be considered aftermarket. One of the last pistols adorned with Tiffany & Co. style grips was done by Colt in 1978 with Colt making the grips. A Colt with Tiffany style grips verified by a factory letter would be worth much more than a pistol with Tiffany style grips fitted after the pistol left Colt.

Unread 11-01-2001, 06:51 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,579 Times in 988 Posts
Default Re: WHITE WIDOWS......

Hi Guys! I heard that term a long, long, time ago! I didn't start it, but I sure think it is appropriate! Glad you liked it! till...later...G.T.

Unread 11-01-2001, 08:22 PM   #15
Heinz
User

As I said in opening this thread, I do like the look of Deaf Smith's Luger. I have an FN (browning) 32 that was brought back from WW2, taken from a German Police official by a friend of mine who was a translator. It is nickeled and has white plastic FN grips. I load it up with Winchester silver tips and it is easy to carry. It shoots as accurately as you could throw it. Looks good though. . .

Unread 11-02-2001, 12:21 AM   #16
tom h

If anyone else wants some white plastic grips like those pictured, I have a couple of sets left @$25/set. Tom

Unread 11-02-2001, 08:57 AM   #17
Steve Lempitski
User

Default Prettier than my Dreyse

I was given a Dreyse 1907 .32 auto, that was found in an attic. Someone had it chromed, with clear plastic grips. What an UGLY pistol it is!!

Unread 11-02-2001, 10:09 AM   #18
Thor
User

Default Re: Prettier than my Dreyse

This is funny! Marvin Cook just bought one, but his might have been specially marked and is considered a find, but it is an ugly pistol! Espcially compared to a Luger. Saw a Luger on TV last night. German Soldier was wounded and was carrying and displaying a Luger. Didnt get the name of the show, but it was in Black and White. Thor

Unread 11-02-2001, 10:44 AM   #19
Marvin
User

Default Re: A Pretty Dreyse?

Ted and Steve,

YEA, I just bought on of these "elegant" pistols! It is so ugly, it has a little charm about it, (I think???). Seriously, I did just buy one and my wife will pick it up at the UPS office today. I hope to get to see it next weekend on my home visit. This one is an "RFV" marked Dreyse for the Reichs Finance Ministry's, Border Guards. I did not have any Third Reich Civil pistols and at the price I paid for this one, I could not turn it down. It is in 95% condition, supposed to be nice, and Whittington styates that only approx. 1,000 were issued. I will let you know how it looks next weekend. It sure ain't no Luger, but it is Third Reich.

Marvin

Unread 11-02-2001, 01:08 PM   #20
Sid Gariss

Default Re: A Pretty Dreyse?

Steve or Marvin, How about posting a photo of one of these guns. I am not familiar with it and would like to see all the "charm" that these gun have that you have been talking about. Thanks.

Sid.