LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 10-29-2001, 08:40 PM   #1
66mustang

Default No GUN shows this last weekend???

No guns shows to talk about this last weekend?

What a shame!

Ed

Unread 10-30-2001, 08:08 AM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: No GUN shows this last weekend???

Yea, there was one in Ft. Pierce, Florida. I was able to finish work a little early and I went to the show on SUnday. There was plenty of new pistols and rifles, some Yugo Mauser rifles, but only one Luger! It was a 1917, all matching except magazine for $475. When I saw this one my eyes did light up, but when I looked at it close, it had been reblued. A VERY good job of rebluing and worth the price (not import marked).

There was a Walther "ac 41" with high polish blue, about 90% condition, with a 1942 holster and a post war spare mag for $1,000. The dealer said this was rare with the high polish as he had not seen this year with a "commercial" finish. He also said it was ALL matching, but the magazine was not even numbered. I didn't argue with him on this point. He said if it did not sell at the show he would put it on an Internet auction and get $1,200+ for the rig.

A few post war P.38's, a Russian Korovin, and a German Ortgies.

I am really getting disapointed at the gun shows! The dealers want more for Lugers & P.38s than they are worth. I still keep seeing the same guns at different shows so appearently no one is buying them.

Marvin

Unread 10-30-2001, 09:45 AM   #3
tom h

Default Re: Gun show vs the internet. (long)

As a gun show participant myself, I can give you several reasons that you are not seeing as many collectables as in the past: 1) Many serious collectors are now selling these items on the internet to a national audience without the hassle of paying for tables and having to lug the stuff from show to show. 2) I would estimate that at least 90% of the attendees at the gun shows here in the midwest, are only interested in new pistols, hunting rifles or shotguns. The shows have become the poorman's alternative to the traditional gunshop. Many new or part time dealers are using the frequent show schedule, as an alternative to opening a shop, as they would have done years ago. This not only hurts business at the few remaining full line shops, but also has breed a flock to "dealers" that know very little about their products and know even less about servicing them. Here in the St.Louis area we only have 2 full line gunsmiths who know what they are doing and both are backed up for months. Part of this malaise, can be blamed on the chain store operations, that can purchase new weapons in volume directly from the manufacturer, and sell to the public at less the the small store's cost, but offer no follow up service. 3) I personally would like to see less frequent shows that allowed only curio & relic classified guns, but I suspose that this would not be practical for the show promoters, who are now allowing sales of Benie Babys, T-shirts, Beef Jerky, and whatever. I really hate to see most shows becoming Flea markets. 4) I can only suggest that we support our full-line gunshops, that are rapidly disappearing and shows that only allow gun related items, eg. OHIO GUN COLLECTORS, MVACA, CADA, etc.