LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 07-07-2002, 11:21 PM   #21
Herb
User

For a repro holster try http://www.northridgeinc.com click on parts in the left panel then Luger, but they are belt types. In John Walters book, the Luger Story, ppg 140-141 he states essentially that the pistol lange, or what we call the artillery model was to be issued with a sholder holster to non-commissioned officers and mounted men of the infantry and artillery munitions columns who have previously carried revolvers are to be armed with the lange Pistol 08. There is also an indication that it was intended to be issued to airmen and field artillery, and to equip fortifications. A good book at a reasonable price for your library.
Unread 07-08-2002, 07:34 PM   #22
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts
John D, Well, about half of the Luger shoulder holsters Hugh posted do not have the cut-out for the Luger magazine. Yours does not have it and I was wondering , if this was truly made for the Luger pistol it would have been quite an oversight to have left out this important detail. I am not saying the holster is not correct but that this missing detail is a mystery to me. I would guess there would have to be a study of the piece to determine some answers to what it might have been for originally. Such as, will any other pistol fit in it? Is the magazine pouch correct in every demension for a Luger mag except for the cut-out? Will any other type of magazine fit into the mag pouch? Things like this that would come to mind to solve the question of why this is the way it is. I thank you for the offer to examine this fine piece personally but I think it is a little early to go to that extreme. While I am not a Luger holster expert by any stretch of the emagination, I do see many more of them than most people because of the nature of my business. I take them apart on a daily basis and am familiar with them from the inside out you might say. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:10 PM   #23
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jerry..!

Thanks for the response... OK - what I know is that when I bought this RIG, that the holster is documented as being "as it was brought back". That being said - and given GI's propensity for shoulder holsters - it appears to be as original (I am the second owner from the VET). Anyway - if you look at the angle of the magazine cut-out - it follows the lines of the Luger mag angle, rather then other mags I have tried to "insert" (P-38, BHP, etc.). Also, it is interesting that where the mag would "ride" - there is discoloration where the Mag round bottom would ride (a definate "0" outline). Also - all the stitching matches, so the holster appears to be constructed at the same time (The mag pouch wasn't "added on" at a later time, that I can tell..?)

As well - the hardware is to the period, correct as well. As is the Digit Stamps for the date and the LWaA2 stamp.

However - all THAT SAID!!! [img]smile.gif[/img] You are more then welcomed to take a look in person (I'll send it down to you!!) and give me your thoughts/impressions..!! It's what this forum and collecting is all about!!!

Best to you Jerry..!!!
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2002, 11:51 PM   #24
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John, Thanks for the thumbnail bio...It is right as you say, The mag pouch is slanted for the Luger magazine. I guess the designers could have reasoned that the magazine would be easier to remove without the cutout. Another thing I do not fully understand is the date stamp on your 1936 holster. There is a slight box around the left of the date stamp. This is quite unusual for date stamps. I do appreciate your offer again John of a personal inspection but it is fairly expensive to ship back and forth with insurance etc. and I am not a holster expert, just a student. There are certain facets of holster construction that are very interesting to me, such as thread tie-offs, types and thicknesses of thread and how metal parts are attached. All of which tell a story of the era they were applied. Of course there was the standard military way of doing things and the other markets varied some. I would not want to risk what appears to be a very fine and original holster for my idle curiosity.. I will ask you this however, what is wrong with the lifting strap on the holster you use as a prop in your first photograph? Or is that just a blemish? Thanks , Jerry

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 07-09-2002, 12:13 AM   #25
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Jerry..!

Thanks again for the feedback - but I think you are "sandbagging" a bit - when you sad "..I am not a holster expert, just a student..." [img]smile.gif[/img] Anyway - I think it is a BLEM you are noticing, as here is a close-up of the strap in the closed position... Any thoughts/comments would be very welcomed!!!

Unread 07-09-2002, 01:31 AM   #26
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

[quote]Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair:
<strong>....what is wrong with the lifting strap on the holster you use as a prop in your first photograph? Or is that just a blemish? Thanks , Jerry</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Jerry.....!

I just re-read your post - and my reply - and I *think* you were talking about this lifting strap? If so - *excellent* catch..!!! [img]eek.gif[/img] Ummm - It's not a "blem" - it's *broken* - as the leather was so dry - the "rolled end" of the lifting leather broke off long ago. I still have the rolled end, though... I'm guessing it can't be fixed with the original pieces??

Anyway - is this the one you were referring to?

Unread 07-09-2002, 09:00 AM   #27
Thor
User

Jan Stil shows a black leather should holster with a Black Widow Luger in it in "Third Reich Lugers?. I love the design of this rig and almost asked Jerry Burney to make me one just for fun! Maybe someday!
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 11:30 AM   #28
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John D, Yes that's the one. Sorry I got confused on which thread I was looking at. No, The end cannot be put back on. Even if it could , as you say the leather is so dry it would not be servicable.

John, send me this holster and I will put you on a new pull-up as a favor for all the expense and work you put into the Luger Forum. I would be happy to do this for you. It is a small thing for me to do and I would consider it an honor. Jerry Burney

Jerry Burney
0636 Scenic Lane
Howard CO 81233

719-942-4781

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)

Unread 07-09-2002, 04:07 PM   #29
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Just slightly off topic...

Jerry, I noticed that you made a slight error up above and then posted under it to correct your mistake..

There seem to be a lot of these type errors being made since we moved to the new forum...by many including me.

I guess not many folks have realized that you can use the EDIT feature (only on your own posts) and make corrections instead of double posting.

Just use the Pencil and Paper icon on your post and you can make whatever corrections are necessary.

Best to you,

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2002, 10:02 PM   #30
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

[quote]Originally posted by lugerholsterrepair:
<strong>John D, Yes that's the one. ...
John, send me this holster and I will put you on a new pull-up as a favor for all ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Jerry,

My thanks for your kind and generous offer. Honestly, I am a little speechless - but please know you have my thanks, more then you could know. You see - the holster that has the frayed end-strap is the one I got my Dad when I was 18 and new to collecting. It goes with a "G" date that I got him for Christmas in 1975 - as he'd never owned a Luger, and always wanted one.

Today - I have that same "G" date in my collection - as time "moves on" as they say.

It would be an honor and pleasure to send you this holster. Know now - how much your offer to repair it means...

My thanks for that....
Unread 07-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #31
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John D, Excellent! Just send it to the address I show but be sure you send it U.S. Priority mail as I have it on good authority that UPS will soon be on strike unless they reach an agreement. I will keep an eye out for it and let you know when it arrives. Thanks for your trust and confidence and I will take good care of your Fathers holster. Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

719 207-3331 (cell)