LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
yankeesfan81
New User

Default Need help with information on a newly acquired P08

Well I recently acquired a P08 9mm from my uncle, he told me that a friend of his brought this pistol back from WWII. It is still in pretty good condition with holster wear on the blueing. My uncle said he shot it years ago and has sat in the safe since.

I was told that it was 1941. It has byf markings so it is a Mauser from what I have read. Serial # is 52** It has all matching numbers on the exterior components except the mag. I have popped the grips off yet to check them and havent broken the gun down either. Any information would be greatly appreciated. And also what kind of value could I see on this piece. I dont have the pistol with me at the moment, I left it at my fathers because he wanted to check it out.

Here are some pics though. I know that in order to get a true assessment on value that I will have to take more pictures.

It also came with a holster with a stamp on the inside of bdr44. From what I have been told on another site, the holster is a P38 holster.

I basically want to confirm date of manufacture and possibly value? Thanks for any info and help.

Matt
yankeesfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Matt,

In order to estimate the completion date of your pistol, we must have the complete serial number, including the suffix. The suffix is found on the front of the frame, just below the nujmerical portion of the serial number.

Go Yankees!!
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,509 Posts

If it's all matching, and in about 90% original finish, with a mis-match period correct magazine, it should be worth $1300-1500 to a collector.

Black bakelite grips would be appropriate for this period. Post photos of the inside of the grips to confirm that they are period and correct.

If you want an insurance value, look at some of the firearms being sold by dealers like simpson's ltd and others that post online.

Marc
Unread 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
yankeesfan81
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Hi Matt,

In order to estimate the completion date of your pistol, we must have the complete serial number, including the suffix. The suffix is found on the front of the frame, just below the nujmerical portion of the serial number.

Go Yankees!!
The suffix on the frame is an "X"

theres an "882" under the serial number on the bottom side of the barrel near the frame. Dont really know if this tells anything.

The Proof Marks on the side of the barrel are #46 on the LugerForums Techincal Informations Proof Marks page. 3 eagles marking with "655" "555" and swasticka under each respective eagle.

I disassembled the the pistol and took the grips off and separated the bolt from the barrel and all numbers that I saw were "42" so it appears that it is complete matching numbers besides the magazine.

Unread 06-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,523 Times in 2,089 Posts

the proof and acceptance markings on the right would be eagle 655 and eagle 655 and proof eagle

the 8,82 is the bore, land ot land measurement, this can be found in the FAQ

Is there a story on your bring back? I collect and give credit in my books on bring backs....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
yankeesfan81
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
the proof and acceptance markings on the right would be eagle 655 and eagle 655 and proof eagle

the 8,82 is the bore, land ot land measurement, this can be found in the FAQ

Is there a story on your bring back? I collect and give credit in my books on bring backs....
ok that is prolly right, I thought it read 555 on the second eagle but the first 5 was hard to read.

My uncle received it from a friend of his that brought it back from WWII. Thats really the only story that we have on the bring back.
Unread 06-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

yankeesfan, 41 byf Luger serial number 5242x was completed about September 1941. Hope this helps
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote