LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 05-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #1
sportsbud
New User

Default New Here

Joined this forum out of boredom. I am currently sitting the the middle east (involuntarily) and have been browsing around looking for C&Rs to add to my collection back home. So far I have added several and they are waiting at my FFL for my return.

I got curious about lugers as since I have been able to buy a handgun it has been on my list. I hope to cross off the P38 soon, but damn Lugers are expensive! I figure if I am going to spend that much on a handgun I might as well do some research beforehand. So here I am.

A little about myself back home I live in New Orleans, I am a 50/50 collector/shooter, I enjoy my historical firearms. The current gem in my collection I my recently acquired NPM M1 Carbine and a RC 98k. I hope to change that and have a nice luger soon.

If anyone has and affordable starter luger (shooter that's mismatched) I would love to buy one off of you. Otherwise I am here to learn (particular about the NFA exemption for shoulder stocks and also what the ATF says about replica stocks)

Any leads or particular threads I should read?

I am active on many others forums with the same screen name.
sportsbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Hi and welcome.

Particular threads? Yes, all the stickies and those in the new collector sub-forum.

Lugers are not "expensive"- well perhaps a few specialized ones are- some can be purchased for the price of many current, new made handguns that are sold today.

One of the "things" you will learn here is that there is a tremendous variety of luger pistols, and many places to buy them. Where, when, and from whom you purchase all affect the price you pay and the more "knowledge and patience" you have the better deals you will find.

Stock info is discussed in many threads, try the search feature on the forum, it will be a big help- but you must also be prepared to spend some time reading and studying.

Perhaps the first thing you should do is to start a luger book library.

Again - welcome and good luck on your quest for a luger pistol.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 05-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Welcome aboard. Lurking about here is a good way to educate yourself as you serve out your sentence in the mid-east. Over time as you get specific questions and interests, we'll be able to assist you in your quest.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DavidJayUden for your post:
Unread 05-11-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Welcome to the forum. It's good to know that we are an antidote to boredom...

You'll enjoy our FAQ document. It's a useful reference and should give you a few hours of interesting reading.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13121

It's not so much that Lugers are expensive... The problem is that it's easy to make a mistake and pay way too much for one if you don't have adequate background.

There is a difference between a collectible Luger and one that you would buy to shoot. The price difference can be 50%. There are also some more rare variations of Lugers, and the potential that someone has "boosted" and faked the markings or characteristics. More than most firearms, you have to be careful.

There are good reference books that help, but they are expensive compared to other books. Hopefully our free FAQ can help you get started. The value is much higher than the price.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-11-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
sportsbud
New User

My only experience with Lugers is shooting a friend's jam-o-matic Swiss model 1900 DWM made. Was fun and all. This seems like another culture and history to learn. I started with mosins (before they were cool lol) I have a lot of knowledge of marks from that in my head, I have a few Swiss rifles as well. I have looked into the history and markings of US surplus, German rifles ( have a scrubbed imperial German GEW98), and have looked into the mind boggling variations of Mausers particularly the Turks. So pardon me if I can be a bit slow on the uptake as I'm curious about everything and want to know it all... Also everything I own will get shot the only exception is my 1864 Springfield with a broken stock. I make sure to use good eye pro with the turked Gew88s. I also enjoy throwing flames with my M57 Tok and Mosin carbines. (Bayonet charges are fun too). But I have my eye set on a shooter already.... Or I may wait till I get back and carry some cash with me on a adventure (motorcycles are fun) around backwoods LA gun shops. One of the shops I walked into once as had A ZH 29 Ethiopian contact...(was out of my league)
Unread 05-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum sport.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
sportsbud
New User

Just got a lead on a 1920 DWM in 9mm appears refinished and obviously rebarreled but it's my families shop... What seems to be the going rate for them now?
Unread 05-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Depends... $650 to $800 for an unmatched / refinished Luger depending on condition and whether it actually cycles properly . Better condition at the higher end

Matched but finish challenged Luger up to $1000... These are all shooter class.
The following 2 members says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 05-12-2018, 03:56 AM   #9
sportsbud
New User

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get a good price (it's family so I have to see them again so can't go too low)