LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-13-2001, 09:16 PM   #1
Don
User

Default Hold Open

I'm a new Luger owner; just bought a matched 1915 artillery shooter. The gun almost never jams, but the hold open mechanism is erratic. I have an after-market magazine, to which someone attached the original wood bottom. Magazine appears to be black Mec Gar. I clean the gun throughly, including the hold open spring, and it holds open after the last round for only the first few magazine loads I fire. Today I bought a nice used Mec Gar at a gun show, and it doesn't hold open at all. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Unread 05-14-2001, 06:12 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: Hold Open

Don, Since both of your existing mag are Mec-Gar, you may want to try a different brand, perhaps triple K or one of the orig or EG Schmeisser types. You didn't mention trying different types of ammo. This can also make a big difference. The ammo that you need, must have enough power to set the breechblock back far enough for the hold open to engage. Also, check the cut on the bottom of the breech block. If it is rounded perhaps the holdopen is slipping off. Trickey beast, these PO8s.

Unread 05-14-2001, 07:38 AM   #3
Don
User

Default Re: Hold Open

Tom, Thanks for your response. I have used the following ammo, all with same result: 115 gr. CCI Blazer, 115 gr. Selliers & Belloiot (SP?), 115 grain Winchester, 124 grain Federal American Eagle (several boxes), and 124 gr. reload. In terms of cycling, all of the above works great, but what would you recommend?

Also, please tell me more about what kind of magazines you have available that would be appropriate. I have heard discussion of "zig zag springs" elsewhere in the Forum. Is that the answer? At some point I would like to obtain original, and of course first priority is one that works. Thanks. again.