LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 05-06-2001, 02:26 AM   #1
Steve B.

Default Krieghoff Plant#2

Recently inhereted a 1936 (only #`s 36 on crown). After studying Costanzo`s World of Lugers Proofs the marks line up with 1936 Krieghoff Luftwaffe contract made at plant # 2 Gun is in decent shape but need info on plant#2 and any other info on this model anyone knows as I can find none.Thanks Steve

Unread 05-06-2001, 08:19 AM   #2
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Steve...

In total, Krieghoff had 14 plants at the end of the war, based in Germany, Belgium, Poland and Italy. However, I'm not sure what proof mark leads you to believe that your "36" (commonly referred to as a "double-diget 1936") came from "plant #2" (which would be Erffastrasse - in Suhl)? Honestly, I'm not aware of any acceptance stamps that either was used by HK or the Luftwaffe to designate various plants.

To that point - Luger manufacture from HK began in 1934 in their main plant at SUHL (commonly referred to as plant #1). By the end of 1937, records indicate that there were enough parts completed to provide a total of 13,580 completed Lugers - 9950 of those were shipped by year end 1937 - with another small run of 50 chamber dated "1938" to fulfill the original 10,000 contract.

However - to your point, based on all the reference material I have - all of those 10,000 were produced and finished at the main plant only.. Only later in the war - for commercial and limited wartime manufacture, is there some reason to believe that the blueing *may* have occurred in either one of the two other SUHL plants - but final inspection was still at the main plant. However - these pistols were produced from that initial raw parts production run at the main plant.

As to you Double-Digit 36 - very nice!!! It is estimated that there were 500 produced, and are somewhat rare, even for Kriegs. During 1936, HK produced the following variations - "S" (3 variations), "double-digit 36" (two variations), and "1936" Chamber date.

Hope this helps Steve - and please feel free to post some pics of the acceptance stamp that Costanzo book points to "plant #2. I'd be happy to compare it to any of my 1936 variations or take a look in my records for comparisons...

Best Always!

John

Unread 05-06-2001, 08:56 PM   #3
Robert Wiggins
User

Default Thanks John :)

Thanks for the history...I never fail to learn something new from this board...

Regards;

Unread 05-09-2001, 01:04 AM   #4
Steve B.

Default Re: Hi Steve...

Thanks John, Thanks for the reply on the #2 plant. The markings I refer to are in Costanzo`s book page 113 #168 & 169-also Eagle on page114 #175. They are on the reciever in order left to right 168;175;169. On underside of barrel is #169 and what seems to be # 175 on side. My dad got it while in Korea but I don`t know much more history than that the #175 eagle has pants legs as far as I can tell. Thanks for taking time to respond...Steve

Unread 05-10-2001, 01:41 PM   #5
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Krieg Acceptance/Proof Marks.....

Hi Steve,

OK - from your description above - I know exactly what you are looking at (including the "eagle with pant legs")

In order - left to right are the following:

Stage 1 Acceptance mark (known as LWaA I). This was stamped when the inspector did BOTH a visual and a "rough" gauge measurement of the part.

Stage 2 Acceptance mark (known as LWaA 2). This was stamped after the pistol was fitted (bbl to reciever), correct toggle, headspace measured, etc. This was also applied to the major components - barrel, reciever, etc. If the Luger did NOT pass at this stage - it was rejected by the Luftwaffe. The Lugers that were rejected were stamped with a rejection "5 point star" - which appear on many of the Krieg Commercial Lugers (there were some variations to the 5 point star). This is your "eagle with Pant Legs").

Proof Test Mark (known as LWaA Proof Test Mark). These were issued by the inspectors after the Luger was finally fitted, all parts marked/serialized, no visual imperfections, etc.. It is the final mark that would have been applied and assured that the Luger met the requirements of Luftwaffe's procurement.

Anyway - again, the "2" in these marks is not the facility that the Luger was manufactured in.

Hope this helps!!!