LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-14-2004, 07:25 PM   #1
montenegrin
User

Post F2000 etc.

Being a green member I'm not sure if it's OK to post about assault rifles here, but I had an oportunity to test-fire a couple this week and was very impressed. The first one was the rather well known Heckler & Koch G36 5.56mm, the second FN Herstal F2000 5.56mm, a relative newcomer. F2000 is a bulpup design with many inovations; for starters, the empty cases are transported forward trough a tube over the barrel and are ejected at the front end. To shorten the story, both rifles are shooting like a dream, and using the integral scope it's so easy to make small groups at 100 meters, even at full auto. I was also shooting the FN sniper rifle in 338 Lapua Magnum; with Schmidt & Bender 3-12 x 50 scope I was able to hit target at 600 meters every time even with a very wild wind blowing. A unique experience if one is not used to such arsenal. By the way, I was a civilian guest at an army trial.
montenegrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
ToggleTop
User

Hello Janez,

Could you please tell me what an assault rifle is? I have heard of them but not sure just what they are.

Thanks,
ToggleTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
Jack Lawman
User

Pardon me, but if I may offer my opinion:

"Assault Rifle" means different things to different people. In the military sense of the word, an "assault rifle" is a battle rifle capable of both semi-automatic and full-automatic fire (at the discretion of the operator). They have the ability to accept detachable, high capacity magazines (20-30+ rounds). They usually have other features such as flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, and collapsible stocks. Variations include the AK-47, M-16, FN/FAL, etc. Assault Rifles are the issue rifle for most of the world's armies.

Here in the US, civilians are permitted to own SEMI_AUTOMATIC ONLY versions of these popular rifles (full-auto ownership is permitted but strictly regulated). People opposed to gun ownership by private citizens in America label these versions as "assault weapons". They liken them to their full-auto counterparts and work to have them greatly restricted or outright banned. In the American lexicon, the term "assault rifle" evokes an unusually high degree of emotion (the nature of which depends on which side of the gun control argument one resides).

Supporters of private firearm ownership believe that assault weapons are nothing more than semi-autos with military style features. People looking to discourage firearms ownership believe assault weapons have no useful purpose (save the slaughter of innocent civilians), are evil, and should be banned.

For a good thread on the gun control debate, try:
LF Right to Keep and Bear Arms Thread

It's pointed if not a bit wandering.

Jack
Unread 10-15-2004, 11:34 AM   #4
montenegrin
User

Hello ToggleTop: In essence, "assault rifle" is a tactical (and rather fashionable) expression for "automatic rifle" (full auto, selective fire). But Jack already explained it nicely, with different meanings and aplications.
Jani
montenegrin is offline   Reply With Quote