LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #1
apis mellifera
User

Default Magazine ID

I just bought this at a gun show today. The seller asked me if I had a Black Widow. I'm not sure why. Is there something about it that would prompt such a question? Also, ballpark value? I bought it because I have two Lugers, but only one original magazine. If it turned out that I got a deal, that would be great! It has "122" and two eagles over 37 stamped into in.

Many Thanks

apis mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
RockinWR
User

SJ,
* A Type III, blue extruded tube, center pinned Al. bottom, Code 122 (Haenel) P.08 magazine bearing S/N 3048f. These mags were accepted on behalf of the Army by Waffen Inspector sE/37.
* The mag would have been issued as the primary mag for a 42 code, 1940 chamber dated Luger of the same S/N.
* The black widow comment by the dealer was ill informed; but, giving the benefit of doubt, probably a leading question to assure you bought a mag consistent w/ the period of Mfg. of your Luger.
* A "black widow" is normally thought of as a Luger w/ black plastic grips and a black plastic mag base. It is a marketing term dreamt up by one of our enterprising U.S. dealers as a way to sell one more "unique" Luger variation for a increased profit. Normally, the "black widow" Luger would be a byf coded '41 or '42 chamber date after about the "u" block of '41".
* Nice mag in great condition. Not knowing what you paid for this example, a "deal" is in the eye of the beholder.
* Trust this helps.
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
apis mellifera
User

Thanks, yes that was very informative. I paid $95. Considering shipping cost etc, I think that was OK. I could probably break even on ebay. I saw it Saturday and decided not to buy it. I talked myself into it that night, so I bought it Sunday. I forgot that after the guy made the black widow comment, he justified the price saying it was an FXO mag, not that that influenced the purchase.
apis mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote