LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM   #1
dholpuch
New User

Default WWII Luger information

I've been collecting milsurp rifles for a period of times and am looking to getting into lugers. My milsurps consist of all WWII guns so I'd like to stick with that theme. I was referenced to this forum from a user at gunboard forums and have a couple questions.

First, is it reasonable to get a decent WWII (early) luger for under or about 1500? I would prefer something that I could not feel bad about shooting on occasion so not museum quality or anything like that, but just a decent representation of a slightly pre war or early war luger.

Also, is this forum the best place to find said lugers? Is gunboards? Or do you guys recommend buying from a business as those typically are a bit more expensive. I know it pays to be patient, but I just want to make sure I'm looking in all the right places.

Thanks in advance,

Derrick
dholpuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
4 Scale
User

Welcome, you have asked some really good questions.

Luger "shooters" of WWII vintage are IMO a great first pistol from a standpoint of price, availability and quality. A WWII vintage shooter can be had for around $1,000, give or take a few hundred depending on finish, if/how many parts match, overall condition. If you have the patience it is best to buy a book or two first. The nicer books like Still or Gortz & Sturgess cost hundreds of dollars but that is very cheap insurance vs. making an expensive mistake. The biggest factors in getting a decent shooter at a fair price are IMO knowledge and patience.

Lower end collectibles (a collectible Luger typically has original finish and all or almost all matching number parts) start around $1,200 or so, my cheapest collectible was $1,250.

This forum and the other forum http://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php are excellent resources for buying. Auctions can be too, but require caution. The local gun shop/gun show is IMO not a good resource, few choices and they mark up too much. Simpsons web site is another dealer option, they do get shooters from time to time but they go very fast - within hours of posting - so you must check their 'new items' listing frequently.

Last edited by 4 Scale; 12-02-2021 at 01:51 PM.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post:
Unread 01-20-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Eugen
User

Smile

Derrick, welcome to the forum. Check out the forum's FAQ section. It is more of a Luger primer or tutorial. You will learn a lot just by reading the great information that has been collected there. Plus it's free.
The following 2 members says Thank You to Eugen for your post: