LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 12-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
OldPilgrim
User

Default When was it made?

Hi guys,

A brand new, first time Luger owner here. I've been collecting guns for quite a few years have wanted a Luger for many years. Finally got one to go with my P38.

I just got a nice DWM, all matching numbers everywhere, 3 5/8 (?) barrel, crown over N, Germany marked version. Crown over N is on many parts. What's confusing to me is the crown is squat like the crown on the Navy versions, not like the taller crown with the N under it (Nitro proof) that shows in the Std Catalog pictures. It sure looks like the crown of the Navy version with the M under it but has the N instead of the M.

It has a wooden bottom mag, but the number on it doesn't match the gun number.

Sorry I can't get a decent pic of it at the moment.

It's all original, not refurbished/reblued and in very good condition, showing less than average wear.

Serial number is 8261 i .

I know how the numbering system works 1-10000 then the letter, but I can't find anything anywhere that says what years had what number/letter combination.

Can any point me to a place where I can find that info or tell me when it was made.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I've just about memorized the Std Catalog, and still looking for more.

TIA
OldPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
alvin
User

The instance that I have matches Std Catalog's picture OK. I have no doubt it's correct, because this variation is not hot at all, usually used by fake makers as "raw material". I have never heard anyone saying another variation was found converted by professionals into this variation. C/N like this..

Yours not like this?

Mine was made in 1920s. 23, maybe. It's the only Luger in my collection at this time. I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cn.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	44360  

alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
OldPilgrim
User

yes, mine is like that.

But if you look at the SCat picture, the crown (C/N) appears a lot taller than than that. Compare that to the SCat's picture of the Navy Crown/M. It looks a lot closer.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
alvin
User

I don't have Navy. But from Std Catalog picture, yes, the crown and M on Navy looks little bit closer than the crown and N on this variation. C/N printed on Std Catalog is not taller in my eyes, looks being same thing.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

You most likely have a DWM Alphabet commercial made about 1921 or 1922.

These Weimar era pistols started in the "i" block.

Marc
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Alvin, you use Aarons book..... ??

Anyway, things are not as cut and dry with suffixes. Pictures of markings - pictures of front of frame

Likely made mid 1920's, but we are guessing here....
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
OldPilgrim
User

I'm looking at the ebook version of the SCat, so maybe that's the problem with what I see.

I'll assume that mine is 'normal' as I expect that I have nothing special.

I was wondering about the barrel length as well as the serial number date ranges. Seems like most are 4 inch but this is definitely in the 3 5/8" area.

I'll try to get some pics soon.
Unread 12-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #8
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Tinker View Post
Alvin, you use Aarons book..... ??
No. I heard Aaron's book. If I remembered right, it has so many errors,,, but it has its use to test collector's knowledge on Lugers. But, you know, I am not really a Luger collector, so no need to buy that book for that special exercise

Standard Catalog of Firearms, was a price guide. Old editor was Dan Shideler, I heard he passed away a few years ago. I used it a lot for pricing guideline. It's interesting that many Luger and Mauser pictures in the book were offered by Gale Morgan. He must have seen a lot, probably a collector himself too, so have many pictures.

Pictures in Std Catalog is for very rough identification purpose, not for collectors. Serious Luger collector still need to get collector grade books.
Unread 12-11-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
OldPilgrim
User

I hope this doesn't violate any copyrights. If it's an issue, can a mod tell me or delete it with my apologies.

See why I was confused?

Unread 12-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #10
alvin
User

Hand drawing,,,, this is too distorted, far away from actual shape of stamps. This type drawing can only be used for rough identification, but not for size, proportion, nor position study. Why didn't author takes pictures, that would be way more accurate than this type of hand drawing, and with less effort.
Unread 12-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Dennis, A couple of points: Barrel length is measured from the muzzle to the face of the breech block. The easiest way to measure this is to insert something thin, like a drinking straw, until it hits the beech block. The illustrations you show of C/ M and C/N marks are laughably out of proportion. It sounds like you have a pretty common Commercial Luger with a 3 7/8th" barrel made in the 1920's.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
OldPilgrim
User

Yup, measuring the 'correct way' it's 3 7/8.

Give me a Smith and Wesson, and I can tell you everything you could want to know. These are brand new to me and I feel like a kid in kindergarten.

Thanks everyone.
Unread 12-11-2014, 10:06 PM   #13
alvin
User

Great. Question on S&W: why did its wheel turning in the opposite direction of Colt revolvers? What's the advantage of running the wheel this way? Thanks
Unread 12-12-2014, 12:00 AM   #14
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Avoiding patent infringement?
Unread 12-12-2014, 12:09 AM   #15
OldPilgrim
User

No one really seems to know how it happened. I've heard all minds of reasons like patent issues, clockwise means a stronger lockup, faster loading. Don't ask why the last two reasons would be valid.

I like:

Because they can,

If there's two people doing things,they'll do them differently,

And my favorite:

Looking downward upon the northern hemisphere the rotation of the earth is counter-clockwise. Thus, if living in the northern hemisphere, a cylinder rotating counter-clockwise would not be fighting against the earth's rotation and would turn faster, leading to quicker shots. Ruger and Smiths rule here. Of course if one lived in the southern hemisphere the opposite would be true, so for the fastest revolver shots there one should choose a Colt revolver.

Colt actually made guns that turned ccw, the Army and Navy models, supposedly at the request of the Navy.

I understand that a new model of a SW turns cw like the Colts.

It appears that most makers use the SW rotational direction.

Also consider that Colt is barely in business now. A true sw aficionado might blame their situation on the rotation of their revolvers.
Unread 12-12-2014, 03:31 AM   #16
alvin
User

It's off topic, but since we're here anyway...

I heard a story saying S&W originally also had a clockwise rotating wheel, just like Colt. In 18xx (forgot the exact year), a government procurement personnel advised them "if you change the rotation direction, you will win the contract". So S&W did that. Finally, they did not win that contract, but that rotation pattern was kept and they did not change it back. So, in this story, the change was not tech driven, it's more customer driven. S&W just followed an advice with intention to gain some business. Probably that's also the reason they did not bother to change it back: either way works, cost too much to change back and forth.

But this is just one version of stories on this. There are other stories.

Customer driven theory might be applied to some other unexplainable changes on other type of guns,,,, I guess.
Unread 12-12-2014, 03:45 AM   #17
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPilgrim View Post
...the crown is squat like the crown on the Navy versions, not like the taller crown with the N under it (Nitro proof) that shows in the Std Catalog pictures. It sure looks like the crown of the Navy version with the M under it but has the N instead of the M...
The drawings of the markings presented in Davis's "Standard Catalog of Lugers" look nothing like the actual markings found on Luger pistols. It is not possible to assess a Luger's markings based on this source. You have found one example of the many shortcomings which make this book useless as a reference book for Luger collecting. Here is a link to a review http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ighlight=books.

Here is a discussion on Luger books http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ighlight=books.

The four digit/letter suffix was common to most Luger production, but the production date it denotes varies with manufacturer and production era. Your pistol is of DWM commercial manufacture, referred to by collectors as an Alphabet Commercial. The i suffix indicates that it was made in 1921.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 12-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #18
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Dennis

Welcome to his forum made of LUGER enthusiasts.
You've probably got a nice gun, an "alphabet commercial" Luger made by DWM presumably in 1921/1922, not that scarce at all but still a nice Luger.
To take a short cut and get most detailed informations about it, the best thing would be for you to post some close pictures of it.

Sergio
Unread 12-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The DWM commercial lugers made after WW1 were susposed to have less than 100mm (4") barrels to comply with Versailes Tready restrictions. TH
Unread 12-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #20
OldPilgrim
User

thanks to everyone.

The gun is in pretty decent shape, not perfect but better than you'd expect for a 90+ year old gun. It was cared for, but not pampered.

My camera is a little dated but I'll try to get some pics sometime.

I hope to add a Broomhandle to my collection some day...if I live long enough.