LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 07-14-2014, 04:20 PM   #1
photo-war
User

Default DWM commercial for review

Dear forum members!

What will be thoughts on this (unfortunately deact) DWM? From my point of view it looks good, any red flags to buy this one?

What year of manufacture is this?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Alexander
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	42507  

Name:	0003.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	42508  

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	42509  

Name:	0004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	42510  

photo-war is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to photo-war for your post:
Unread 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

A:
I have no experience with deactivated guns and their market values.
In the USA a live DWM of that sort would bring around $700-$800.
Probably manufactured in the 1920's, I'll let the book guys clarify that.
Hope this helps.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Deactivated or not, it needs a good cleaning!

I don't know anything about the market for deactivates, either. Maybe one of the British guys could advise, then we could convert the euros/pounds to dollars easily enough. I think in a strict sense, it could be worth the sum of the saleable parts, or perhaps the price it might command as a shooter, if it had not been f****d, minus the cost to straighten it out to function again--but that might be a negative sum.
Unread 07-14-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Was the photo of the frame serial number taken with the pistol fully assembled and in battery? If so, the upper is protruding very oddly from the front of the frame.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Interesting how the barrel flange is mashed in about the same spots. And I'm wondering if the rust we see under the barrel isn't a result of welding on that lug.
At this point I'm assuming that these irregularities are a result of the deactivation hatchet job.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJayUden View Post
Interesting how the barrel flange is mashed in about the same spots. And I'm wondering if the rust we see under the barrel isn't a result of welding on that lug.
At this point I'm assuming that these irregularities are a result of the deactivation hatchet job.
dju
Yes, it looks like the barrel flange flats took the brunt of being clamped in a vise twice. I'm sure they used a special wrench, so as not to damage the barrel extension! What, exactly, was done to deactivate it?
Unread 07-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #7
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

If you look closely, those "flats" on the barrel flange are both ends of a steel rod, spot welded to the barrel, that runs through the chamber, making it impossible to insert a round.

The owner did mention that it was demilled and I'm guessing this was part of that process.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 07-15-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
photo-war
User

Yes this one is deactivated but to me this is only legal way to collect P08's. I hope to get it to my hands soon and take a good and detialed photos under day light and with no flash.

Anyway the production yeat information will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Alexander
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #9
hansfischer007
User

Question REDO .? a Dewat pistol.?

Hey Guys….Im totally Clueless in regards to a Deactivated Pistol..personally I cringe at the thought of taking a Beautiful firearm and doing a bunch of nasty things to it…..that being said….IF…you happen upon one…say here in the US where it is Legal to own…..is it possible to undo/redo all that work and make it fireable again.?…and to what extent do you think you would have to go.?…what parts would be totally impossible to use……?..Im guessing the lower part of a Luger would still be good…what about the top parts and which ones…?…..(Im no good at naming all the parts..sorry )….anyway……just a thought as to what one would do to get it working again………say for example….one of our Members that lives in England and has some very nice lugers…happens to move over here……and could bring his collection……how much trouble would it be for him to make it all fireable again……….I know…sounds like a silly question maybe…….but every time I have seen a dewat pistol…..have always wondered ….what…if anything……could be done to restore it.
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to hansfischer007 for your post:
Unread 07-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
photo-war
User

Much depends from de-activation method. But in any case you have to remove and install new barrel first.
Unread 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
If you look closely, those "flats" on the barrel flange are both ends of a steel rod, spot welded to the barrel, that runs through the chamber, making it impossible to insert a round.

The owner did mention that it was demilled and I'm guessing this was part of that process.
Yes, Doug I can see that now after looking more closely at the larger view of the pic...good eye.

Hans, if what Doug says is true--and it makes sense at this juncture that it likely is--changing the barrel and maybe the extension should restore this one to function. The pics Alexander posts after he has it in hand will tell the fine details of the story, but so far it looks like this was all that was messed with. Part tragedy, part annoyance, seeing these deactivated pistols always tugs at my heart somehow, and I go into a sort of "triage" mode, and try to think of a workaround so they, at least, will work again. But its originality is now a ghost of the past. I guess I prefer the deactivated form to what happens to those sent to a foundry!