LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 12-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
TexWaltfan
New User

Default Info on 1917 Artillery Model

Hello,

Recently came across a 1917/1920 Luger P08 Lange Artillery Model. Serial# is 5828. Barrel is stamped with 1917 date with 1920 date stampedabove. DWM scrowled on toggle. Last two digits of serial number are on various smaller pieces. Smaller pieces like the trigger and saftey catch are strawed. On left side of frame and barrel are four stamps, identical to # 15 under proof marks in Technical Information section of the luger forum. Blueing is thin but complete. Magazine has wooden base and appears original to the pistol. Grips appear original and are in very good condition (strong checkering, no dings) Want to know if any members have historical info on pistol. Is $1500.00 a fair price? I understand Simpson and Son reworked, repaired pistols after WW1. Does this affect value? What are the chances this was a Frankengun cobbled together from parts? Barrel appears to be original to pistol. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Texwaltfan
TexWaltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
mauro
FIREARM HISTORIAN AND AUT

Hello Texwaltfan,
First of all welcome to the Luger Forum. To have further information about the Luger Artillery model you can have a look at my web site:
http://lugerlp08.free.fr/

It is mainly focused on the LP08 model. You can see an introductive article about the Luger Artillery. There are also several pages related to the accessories.
I hope this helps.
Ciao.
Mauro
Unread 12-22-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Tex,

If all parts match, there is no reason to think that it is a rework or Simson rework. Many LP08s were drafted back into service during the Weimar period and property marked "1920". Are there any grip strap markings on your Luger? Many were put in to service by the navy and are backstrap marked.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote