LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-21-2002, 02:07 AM   #1
Thor
User

Default Luger Mainspring Installation-Step #9

9. Thor's Trick-This is where my methods become a little unorthodoxed!!! With the tapered pin punch STILL in the little hole of the guide rod, I place the frame UNDER the front edge of my WORK bench and have my other screw driver close by. The pin punch large end is pointing down to the floor and the smaller end is through the hole in the guide rod and pointing at the camera (straight up. The small end of the pin punch is placed at the front of the bench under the bench and up against the front edge from below. I put my leg on the Luger frame and push the frame TOWARD the bench. This again compresses the spring and you might have to move the punch slowly back and forth as it is compressing to get the rod THROUGH the cross bar end of the recoil lever, the additional screw driver can be used to move the hook end left or right as needed. Now holding the spring compressed with your leg strength, you can push the hook end over to one side so that when you release the pressure on the frame from your leg the spring will decompress and the hook will go over the end of the recoil lever cross bar. If this didnt work the first time, catch your breath and do it over. Congrats you are done! Since I have adopted this method I have never failed to get the spring in the frame in just a few short minutes. When I started this long ago, I would make the CARDINAL MISTAKE OF trying to COMPRESS THE SPRING INSIDE THE FRAME!! Took me 1-2 hours at least! JUST make sure your bench is anchored well or against a solid wall or you will move it with yoru leg pressure! Thor

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/MSpring9.jpg