LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 02-19-2005, 08:07 PM   #1
Ron Smith
User

Talking Very Rare 1917 Erfurt .(info added)

I received this today. I back slid on my vow to seek out only Weimar Reichswehr unit marked Lugers. When I saw this, I had the feeling that something was special.
It's a basic run of the mill, roughly finished 1917 Erfurt. Ser# 4861g. The usual Erfurt proofs on virtualy every part. And has the chamber cut for the Artillery sight, as do Erfurts. Has C/RC stamps on barrel and rear toggle. It must have been a lemon, coming out of the shute.
Only about 80% blue overall and a hint of straw on small parts. Bore is excellent. Well used, but taken care of.

The special part is the unit mark.

I posted a question previously about the unit marks. Unusually small font and stamped along the edge of the front grip, reversed from the usual application. Top to bottom. Not to regulation. Only .05% of 1917 Erfurts were unit marked. As per Imperial Lugers by Jan Still.

With the help of forum member and advanced collector, Geo Anderson.
I have gotten a unit mark translation courtesy of unit mark expert Mr Klaus Schad.

17.3KP.FLA.M.G.ABT.912

17Th Reg. or Weapon(I am unclear on this)
3rd Kompagnie
Fliegerabwehr-Machinengewehr
Abteilung 912

Fliegerabwehr(Flyer Defense) or Flugabwehr(Air Defense) units known as "Flamgas'", were formed in 1916-1917. To defend command posts, supply depots, ammo dumps,etc., from Allied air attack. Each unit was made up of 3 companies, with 12 machineguns in each company. Geo and Mr Schad state that this is a very rare unit mark. As it was applied after unit marks were no longer required. And due to the limited number of "Flamgas". Consisting of MG Abteilungs No. 801,803,901-921 and 925. For a total of only 23 Sections.(pg192 of Imperial German Army 1914-1918 organization,structure,orders-of-battle. By Hermann Cron)

Mr Schad states that this unit was formed January 1st 1917, and was part of the 7th Army group.
Page 211 of ~Histories of 251 Div~ indicates that the 17 Anti-Aircraft section was attached to the 12th Inf. Div.

This is a photo from G�¶rtz' of a machinegun crew in an air defense posture.

I would like to thank my friend, Geo. Anderson and Mr Klaus Schad for the valuable information and assistance in identifying this mark. I am a very happy unit mark collector, and feel very fortunate to have found this Luger.

I apologize for the poor photo's, but it's raining and outdoor natural lighting is poor at best.

Ron

I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...

Last edited by Ron Smith; 02-20-2005 at 08:56 AM.
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
policeluger
RIP

Very.....very nice!
policeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM   #3
Ron Smith
User

Howard,
Thanks! I almost passed it up. Sure glad I decided to ask.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote