LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 05-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
mdrumbore
User

Default 1.l.b.a.21.

I picked this up a little while ago and wanted to share it with the other forum members along with some of the info that George Anderson found on it. If anyone else knows anything let me know! It's a 1911 DWM by the way.

Mike, the unit marking:1.L.B.A.21. indicates Luftshiffer-Bataillion 1, Bespannungs-Abteilung, Waffe Nr. 21 (Balloon Battalion 1, Rigging Detachment, weapon number 21). These units supported artillery Regiments where they provided observers in tethered gas balloons who directed firing adjustments to the gun crews.

The 1st Luft Battalion was garrisoned in Berlin in 1914 and was probably subordinated to the Guard Army Corps. The T.O.&E. (Table of Organization and Equipment) indicates that of the 178 man full compliment of officers and men that 103 enlisted men were issued K98 rifles and 62 enlisted men were issued P08s. The break-down of those who were issued P08s was 1 senior sergeant, 8 corporals, 1 medical NCO, 1 flag bearer and 51 drivers (horse-drawn wagon drivers).
Attached Images

mdrumbore is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to mdrumbore for your post:
Unread 05-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
abukafura
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

This is a really neat and rare marking. Leave it to George to make sense of all these abbreviations. Nice looking gun,from what we can see.
abukafura is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to abukafura for your post: