LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Unit Markings

Unread 05-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
intelliprop
User

Default "42 byf"

This p.o8 has "42" on the top of the receiver, "byf" and 27 on top of the toggle. Other markings: what looks like three "eagles", rt side of receiver, and one more on the barrel, just forward of the three on the recever, the first two of which have "135" below. On the opposite side of the receiver is "527" which also appears on the frame in front of the trigger and underneath the barrell. The numeral "27" appears on the side of the release pin, ejector, and frame (inside), and safety. Another symbol, and inverted "y" appears below the "527" on the front of the trigger guard. Inside of the frame, in a bored out region, in front of the trigger is a "u", with the numeral "1" and "0" aside and above the "u". No serial numbers anywhere. This pistol is like new, blued complete, no pits or cracks anywhere. Can anyone tell from this who manufactured it, about when, and what military unit it may have been issued to? Even more, what soldier carried it?
intelliprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Jack,

Welcome to the forum. Your Luger was made by Mauser (byf code) in 1942. The serial number is 527 probably with an h ( inverted y ?) suffix which indicates the serial number block. The 27 on the small parts are the last two numbers of the SN indicating a "matched" gun. Lugers were made 10,000 to a letter block. The following year they started over with a different letter.

The Eagle 135 marks on the right side are Mauser acceptance and proof marks. The letters inside are just inspectors marks, used to show that it was inspected for flaws.

Unit marking ceased in 1937, so there's not much chance of identifying the unit it was issued to. Any records have long since been either destroyed or lost.

41 byf and 42 byf Lugers are referred to as "Black Widows". So tagged by a U.S. dealer as a marketing ploy, since some have black grips. Does your Luger have black bakelite grips or wood? Either is correct, however there are fake black grips on the market.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
intelliprop
User

Default "42 byf"

Ron:

Thanks for that very concise and able summary. The grips are wood.
One day I was thinking I'd be in Germany and I'd look up the next of kin of the soldier and "return his personal piece". Maybe that wasn't such a good idea, come to think of it.

Best regards;

jack
Unread 05-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Jack,
Bless your heart. That is a noble thought, but it truly is totally impossible. Enjoy your ownership and think good thoughts about the soldier that carried it...he was a soldier and doing his job in spite of the fact that his commander-in-chief was a monster.
Unread 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Jack, welcome to the forum. "Tracing" back to a soldier is almost impossible unless a vet captured it and the "story" can be verified

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
intelliprop
User

Dear Ed & Ron: Thanks for the thoughts and advice. About the German soldier's piece, I inherited from my father. He was in Patton's tank corps. At the "Battle of the Bulge" he ambushed a German fleeing staff car. That's all hearsay. My father is dead. So too his tank crew, I'd assume. No way of verifying. War time chaos. Anything could have happened. But the German soldier's next of kin probably have a better claim to "owning it" as part of his estate than I do. I was thinking they may want it. That may be wrong. A stigma would attach to a Waffen SS Officer's piece. Some things are better left alone.
Unread 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Ron Smith
User

Jack,

Firearms ownership in Germany is very stringent. It's very probable that , either they couldn't own it, or wouldn't want to.

Also, getting it imported back into Germany would be very costly and time consuming. Things are often best, left as they are.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
intelliprop
User

Ron:

Good advice!
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:04 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

sound advice Ron. In addition and you see it here in the America's, that not always is the family interested in a piece of history, especially a "firearm". I personally never push a family member to "keep it in the family"; as they obviously have little interest in it, and I have keen interest in historical items. Many folks and family members simply do not care about a gun; thye might keep uncle Joes flight jacket or the like, or nothing, but that is their family decision.

I figure that I can guarantee a good home, either with me or another dedicated collector. Better to go that route than a police turn in or sold at a pawn shop for $200....

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM   #10
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Jack, at the time your father acquired that pistol it was the property of the German Army not the soldier who carried it. Thanks to the sacrifices and efforts of men like your father they lost and we won. As his heir you are the rightful owner of that Luger.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
intelliprop
User

George and Ed:

Thanks for this, as I'm sure you're both correct.