, Collector Forums" /> Lugerforum Archive" /> luger holster - LugerForum Discussion Forums
LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 12-29-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
James L. Shepherd

Default luger holster

I have a luger holster marked on the back as follows-

AUWAERTER&BUBECK WaA101 under an eagle 1934

AG

STUTTGART

Inside the flap is the usual takedown tool pocket but this pocket has a second flap over it.

Parellel to, but off to ths left and under the takedown tool pocket, is a leather loop about 2" long.

What is the purpose of this loop and the second flap over the takedown tool pocket?

I also have a brass cleaning rod, 24 1/2 cm. long, a loop in one end and an oval crest with the letters HWC in it.Below this is the letter D.It came with one of my luger holsters but it fits nicely in the pocket on the front of my broomhandle holster. Is this where it belongs?

Also, what book on German holsters would you recommend for someone like me who is not a real luger collector but has aquired 6 of them and 5 holsters?

Unread 12-30-2001, 12:00 AM   #2
tom h

Default Re: luger holster

Probably the most complete and up to date reference is "Luger Holsters and accessories of the 20th century" by Eugene Bender.

Unread 12-30-2001, 12:47 AM   #3
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

That l934 holster is worth a lot of money and is pretty rare. Good for you!

Lonnie

Unread 12-30-2001, 08:20 AM   #4
Marvin
User

James,

You do have a rare holster indeed! The 1934 dated holsters are usually associated with the "K" Date Lugers. Please take care of this holster! The extra loop and second flap is for a cleaning rod for the 4" barrel Luger.

Do you have a "K" Date Luger to go with the holster? If not, you could do some good trading for holsters you may need. I am not even sure what the value of these are, but you could prtobably get 2-3 regular Luger holsters in trade for this one. Does anyone of the Forum know the going price for these holsters, I would like to know myself?

I can't help with the cleaning rod, sorry. As to the book, the one Tom Heller recommended is excellent and it is one of the best. They are out of print now I think, but you can still find them in the $50-65 range. I bought one about 1-2 years ago that is authographed and paid $65 for it and it is in excellent condition.

Marvin

Unread 12-30-2001, 09:23 AM   #5
tom
User

K Date holsters in vg+ to Exc condition typically go for $375-500 depending on condition; Navy marked K dated holsters typically bring $750-900 based on condition. Not many people recognize them for what they are and their rarity.

Hope this helps,

Tpm

Unread 12-30-2001, 11:34 PM   #6
Joe
User

Jim

I also have a 1934 Luger military holster, color black, manufactured by Lederwerke Karl Ackva, in mint condition. It has the orginial cleaning rod and the correct tool, but alas, no K-date Luger. The Luger will come, hopefully soon, but in the mean time due to the holster's value it is kept in my gun safe. As mentioned by other contributors, this is a rather rare holster and your fortunate to have one in your collection. Take good care of it.

I also cannot speak to the cleaning rod without actually seeing a picture of it.

Joe

Unread 12-31-2001, 07:34 AM   #7
Marvin
User

Joe,

Do you have any idea of the "going" price for the "K" Date holsters. I would like to know myself what these are selling for, when they are for sale.

Marvin

Unread 12-31-2001, 10:28 AM   #8
tom h

James et al, Even though the waffenamted 1934 dated holster are scare, I find that the WaAed 1935s are more difficult to find (most 1935s are police marked). Many of these early WW2 holsters were imported a few years ago from Norway with the belt loops replaced by web belt hangers. So if you find any plugged round holes between the belt loops on the back of your holster, it is probably one of these and will reduce the value in half. Tom h

Unread 12-31-2001, 09:06 PM   #9
mlm

1934 (aka K-date) holsters are of the Weimar era mil holster design where new holsters had an extra flap and toe for the rod in the holster lid. From those I have seen, these also may have black thread or were dyed black as a standard--1934 holsters are virtually all black. 1934 is a common year for luger holsters and the rarity of the holsters does not match up with luger rarity by year. 1935 is mostly police (common) with only a few military's by Heinchen of Dresden (very very uncommon). 1936 is common (have seen both droop winged eagles and straight winged eagles) but 1937's are much less common (in my experience). 1938 is a more common than 1934, 1936 but there are many many 1939's. I have trouble finding 1940 dates as often as 1939 and I see about as many 1940 as 1938 dates. The 1941's are the most common date luger holster of all then the 1942's are much less common than the 1941's although not rare. If there are any 43's or 44 dated hardshell P08 holsters they are really rare.

Just personal observations--not research grade. Others can offer their observations.

dave