LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 05-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
dwr461
User

Default Giving a thumbs up.

I know ya'll don't know me. I'm not an expert on Luger's by any stretch. I own only one. However I do collect far to many C&R rifles. The pictures of it were posted on the new member's forum. It's an all matching, except the magazine, 1915 DWM. I shot it one time. On the very first pull of the trigger the back of the breech block broke where it held the spring guide in place. The metal just snapped off. It looked almost crystalline at the fracture.

Anyway since it's all matching I went searching for a gunsmith to mend the broken part. I found one who answered his phone (very rare thing I find anymore for a business to answer the phone), was willing to talk to me and be polite As if that wasn't enough he actually sounded knowledgeable.

Mr Charles Danner
3189 Huntsville Hwy
Fayetteville, TN

(931)433-3276

He received the toggle assembly from me on a Monday morning. He called me that day. We spoke about what needed done. Tuesday (the NEXT day) he called me saying the part was ready to go. I sent him a check and Thursday of the next week the part was back.

I know where the part was broken and I have to look very hard to see where the repair starts. My Charles said the metal appeared to have been over hardened during manufacture and that the welding had drawn down some of the temper which should increase the working strength of the breech.

Anyway the part looks great, the price was extremely reasonable, the service and speed of service was awesome.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to dwr461 for your post:
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default They don't get any better!

Mr Danner is top of the line... he has done work for a Luger customer list that most can only dream about!... I've seen his work for the last 25 years! Alway a cut above.... best to all, ........til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thank you for posting your experience with Mr. Danner. It is always good, at least for me, to keep a running list of excellent Luger gunsmiths.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
tx_oil
User

Au contraire, Dave... I know you!! I'm glad that you were able to have your Luger fixed professionally, competently and rapidly. Those qualities are rare, it seems. I, also recently acquired , my first Luger and am having great fun shooting and learning about the Pistole Parabellum. Give me a shout and maybe we can meet up at Sherberne for a range day?
Unread 05-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
dwr461
User

Can do, after I get a WW2 type vented firing pin.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

"LugerDoc" should be able to fix you up with a good firing pin for shooting... Welcome to the Lugerforum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post: