LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 07-31-2002, 08:59 AM   #1
Navy
RIP

Unhappy Sent another one back

Yesterday afternoon, I sat down with what purported to be a late Weimar/early KM piece with the intertwined MA on the left side of the chamber. A neat looking gun in excellent condition.

Drug out the Ott light and loupe and started going over it very carefully.

All of the fonts on all the SN locations looked pretty good and were uniform in appearance, except...something didn't sit quite well.

Examined the Ost Flotte property marking; it looked properly struck and had the requisite halo, but still there was something.

Then, very suddenly I knew.

There was a smell to the piece. A very faint smell but present none the less. The scent of cold blue.

Went back to the markings and SN. Very close inspection under high magnification revealed there was a slight disparity between the top of the digit 5 on the front frame SN and else where on the gun. The difference was very slight but there none the less.

Examined the MA stamp and noted that it did not have the halo nor was it clearly under the finish. High magnification made it clear. The markings were engraved, not stamped and had apparently been touched up with cold blue also.

At $2K, this should be 100% right. It wasn't.

Back to the dealer and one more guy I shall not do business with again. [img]frown.gif[/img]
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote