LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 09-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
Roadkill
User

Default Shooting a Type 99 Arisaka

Went to the rage again today, brought a couple of old guns. Just for fun I decided to see how a Type 99 Arisaka would hold up next to a 1903 Springfield.

The Type 99 is an early war gun, the Springfield was rebarreled
in 1942. Both are in as issued condition.

Appearance wise they are more similar than not. Close to same caliber and performance.

Both have excellent sights - target is 75 yds.

Using my reloads I loaded up five rounds of 150g fmj with 46g of WC 844 for each gun. Only difference is the diameter of the bullets and the case length. Many loaders use shortened and resized 30-06 cases in their 7.7 rifles. Cold barrels on each.

First was the Springfield.

Then the Type 99

First round was a flyer - not like I shoot this thing every day and I really had trouble getting a hold with the short stock.

Not bad - both guns are more than capable of the job intended. Now, enough of the old stuff - got some other toys to play with (Romanian Draganov 7.62x54 in a carbine conversion)

Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Roadkill for your post:
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
skeeter4206
User

I shoot an arisaka 99 often as I go to the range. I shoot it and a mosin nagant at about 150 yds with iron sights. I think my ariska shoots a whole ,ot better grouping than my mosin nagant. But my mosin is a pain trying to figure out the sights. Sometimes I really think I have a bent barrel on the mosin.

I recently just picked up a 1908 mauser made by DWM for the brazillian contract. I am curious to put my arisak and 1908 mauser head to head and see the difference.
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote