LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 06-16-2023, 01:53 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default 6" Navy profie barrels 9mm

I'm writing here first, in order to post a WANT TO BUY add which is to follow shortly! When you're looking at P.08 barrels to buy, either original or aftermarket, you'll find a great discrepancy in quality and machining overall. The best available, (sometimes!) are of course, original armorers spares, or take offs, if done with the right tools and fixtures. The best 4" spares from WW2 are predominantly Steyr with a sprinkling of Mauser. Next, would be the, "MADE IN GERMANY" marked 4" barrels that probably go back a few decades. There are quite a few Steyr, post war, "MADE IN AUSTRIA" which to me, should be perfect, but actually leave some to be desired when you discover they don't index properly or are a little off on the head spacing?
On longer barrels, the major parts suppliers have all made some at one time or the other? And here is where the problems begin!!! out side of the normal issues, indexing, torque, and headspacing, most have a killer flaw, that at best is correctible, but at worst, will keep the shade tree Luger smith in/on the bleachers, as it really is an issue when doing this type of work. And that issue is, the feed ramp is cut with a radius or ball end mill cutter bit, and because of such, the buller nose doesn't glide up the ramp, but instead, it stops in the concave area of where the ramp would normally be! To make them work, you need to taks a die grinder and re-cut the ramp back in WITHOUT going to deep on the breach face, and also too far into the chanber so as to loose case wall support past the brass inner web.
I've repaired a lot of them, and ruined several as well, it's a crap shoot. Now the reason I'm writing this is because in my search for barrels, I do not want to pay full retail for a sub quality barrel! But, I'm kind of up against it, as I need barrels and therefor cannot be too picky... Anyway, I can fix your barrel if it has the issue i mentioned above, or buy it from you just as well... bottom line, I need some barrels... Please see the WTB add and see what you can do... Best to all, til......lat'r.....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 06-18-2023, 11:51 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Hi, GT,

I believe the 06 AE upper I sent, for which you changed the original 3 7/8" (?) .30 barrel to the .30 70s Mauser barrel Ed Tinker sold me which I'd then had my machinist make into pencil taper) was the first barrel you installed. I'd had a smith here try the project, but he stopped short after removing the original, knowing the limits of his expertise and tooling--which decision gained my respect.

This was before you'd acquired head space go/no go tooling, and checked it by shaking, IIRC. I was very happy with the work, and used the AE shooter in a season of IDPA matches--until SAMMI went out of business and relatively inexpensive, Scandinavian, Berdan primed ammo wasn't available.

Your discourse above inspires me to thank my lucky stars that it all worked out and still works great, thanks to your skills. Good luck in your quest!

David
Unread 06-19-2023, 02:48 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default I appreciate you all!

Thanks David! A iot of water has gone under the bridge since then! Maybe a little bit over the bridge as well! The whole luger barrel thing has a very steep learning curve, and expensive as well! One thing that amazes me when I reflect, is all the fine forum members who have trusted me with their pet projects thru the years! In my earliest attempts, I would often state, "I'll know a lot more when I'm done!" And it was often true... But, you don't learn by staring at it! And, you don't charge for ignorance! and I'm at a point now where I'm more relaxed and comfortable going forward... Anyway, although far from a business you can hang your hat onto, G.T. Specialties has grown by word of mouth, and recommendations by fellow Luger collectors, into a trusted go-to Luger repair center... Thanks again to all of you that make it possible for me to continue! Best to all, til......lat'r......GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: