LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 11-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
MarkC
User

Default .30 bullet head source

Hey guys!

I've been using Hornady 3100's with great results but they no longer make them and the 31000's are $20 for a box of 100 with the cost of powder and primers it is amost cheaper to buy loaded ammo!

I tried some plated bullets with very poor results through my model 1920 commercial.

Anyone have a source of bullet heads that will print nice?

Mark
MarkC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Mark,

$20 a box for bullets is fairly cheap these days. I use Hornady .312 100 gr XTPs in .30 Luger for years. They are accurate and have never had a problem.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
MarkC
User

Guys,

The President of Midway should burn in he*l for his attitude about sending reloading items to Massachusetts.

He refuses to send anything for reloading to MA even a gun shop!

Gun shops are licensed dealers and I have had reloading stuff like bullet heads or dies sent there if other vendors were afraid of the vague MA rules on bullet components. The owner of the local shop is a friend and fellow shooter so he accepts shipments I have made on line from other vendors.

That total a*s with his smug look, at Midway, when I sent (him) the president of Midway a letter, sent me a letter back saying he would not ship bullet components or reloading dies to a retail gun shop and sent me a Midway Hat.

I took the hat to the range and put about 200 rounds through it .... what a f'n jerk, don't EVER deal with MIDWAY and don't send me a f'n hat to make things right, what an insult!

Buy at Widners, they send me what ever I want!

http://www.wideners.com/

I appreciate the info from Ron and Rick but Midway is not some organization ANY of us should deal with when there are other companies who are not so "corporate" and helping us "shooters" out.

Sorry about the rant but they really got me mad with the responce to my letter.

Mark
Unread 11-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,582 Times in 989 Posts
Default .30 Luger bullets...

Hi Mark & all, I've been loking for 93 gr. .30 Luger FMJ bullets for quite awhile now... other then a few boxes here or there over the last couple of years, they seem to be a,"not to be found!" type of item... So, I have a couple of thoughts... on this... does any of our overseas friends have access to them?? We could all go together on a bulk order if possible or pratical ... Or, has any one attempted to set up a low cost swaging operation?? I used to swage bullets as a 9 year old kid in my dads gunshop.. ....doesn't mean I knew what i was doing, but it was east enough so I could do it... The swage was set to make .22 cal soft points for .220 Swift, if you flipped'em over they made full metal jacketed bullets... that was 40 plus years ago, but i still remember how easy it was to do... Just a thought... best to all, til....lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
MarkC
User

I'd be in for a bulk purchase if anyone could locate some that work well.
Unread 11-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default bullets to make...

Hey Mark, what would be both an attractive (bargain), and a fair price for 100 replicated WW or RP type 93 gr. FMJ bullets, with or without cannalure (sp.?) .. exact repros?? I'm looking into the swage options... might be able to swing it? best to all, til...lat'r....GT
Unread 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
MarkC
User

Not really sure?
Unread 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default .30 bullets..... enough demand??

Hello to Mark and all, I've spent more then a little time researching the .30 Luger bullet swage possibilities, and it's definitly a double edge sword kinda quest... Bullet casting is cheap, in all regards, bullet swaging is expenisive, in most all regards.. The advantage to swaging is that heat is not a primary factor in the main operation, and, when done correctly, you get a repeatable, taylor made, absoultely perfect bullet... But, unfortunatly, not a cheap bullet........ Both copper and lead (dead soft, clean), like all metals recently, have become a bit high priced for small quantity buyers (less then a truck load..).. So, to make a long story short... materials are about the cost of already made factory bullets, all by themselves, not to mention equipment and time & effort.... Soooooo, the questions boils down to this... would a .30 luger reloader pay twenty + bucks a hundred to have the correct shape, and weight, FMJ bullets for his pet project loads and gun...??? If not. then it is cost prohibitive by quite a streatch...... I'd like to hear if there is any interest in .93 gr FMJ bullets.. If enough, I'd probably do it...If not??... Oh well! best to all, til....lat'r....GT
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
MarkC
User

GT,

Thanks for the research, I guess $20 per 100 for FMJ is not such a bad deal but add $3 for primers and $2 for powder your up to $25.00 per 100 for reloads when factory ammo costs $20.00 per 50, still a savings but not by much!

Mark
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default cost....

Hi Mark, Yes, it seems a bit expensive... to me too... One of the problems is that scrap material isn't the best choice when swaging... If not clean, pure, soft virgin metal, it wears dies and such faster.. worse on long range costs... and you have to figure in the added time of scrounging for scrap, salvage, etc, etc... It's definitly a dog fight on whether it's worth it or not??.... looks like about a "K" to start up, and more added on as you go.... (not including time) You can buy a lot of bullets for a thousand bucks!!........ and not ever have to pull a handle! Best to all, til...lat'r.....GT
Unread 11-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Also, don't blame the President of Midway.....go after the insane liberal kooks the majority of Mass. voters seem to like to reelect year after year.

If vague and draconian laws were to expose my business in any way, I would look to protect it as well.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
MarkC
User

I'm sorry to disagree, shipping to a gun shop that has a valid license to do business in Massachusetts is perfectly acceptable since gun shops get their goods via UPS from out of state.

The president of Midway is a "putz".
Unread 11-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #13
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default bullets and such...

Hi Rick, Yes, Azis, is a great dog...well worth the small fortune we had to pay to see him healthy... He's not quite two, and still has his wild puppy moments.. my 4 yr. old grandaughter will get him so excited he jumps into the couch, (at full speed), hits and flips off the end, totally out of control... A hundered pound bull mastif flipping thru the air, in /thru, your living room is a sight you can only dream about until you've seen it in real time! ........ I might add that this is a totally uncontrolled random event with absolutely no chance of a gracefull, or anything like it, recovery.... ...add three, now, very disturbed, and excited cats, and a granddaughter screaming with total delight... and you can accurately picture my current ability to recover...
As for the bullets... yes, I have mulled it over and I'm planning to press on with it... Strangely enough, as i mentioned, back in my childhood, I became hooked, and am actually anxious to give it a go....
The fellows at Corbin have been very helpful.. in fact most of the replies to some very basic and entry level questions have been answered by Dave Corbin himself.. very nice gentleman...
Even with price derived from using scrape lead... it's still high when compared to store bought bullets... The real stickler is the jackets.. in order to do it cheap enough to just not go backwards.. (never mind time) you have to buy the copper locally and form / draw the jackets your self... And, you'd better like pulling levers cuz it's just like endlessly playing the slots after that... ... We'll see as time and money present... Best to you Rick, alway nice to touch bases with you... we see stuff thru the same eyes.. tikl...lat'r...GT
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
unspellable
User

I've met that bull mastiff, but I didn't get to see the couch acrobatics.

It's been quite some time since I've seen 30 Luger factory loads for $20.

Hadn't thought about the comparison to a slot machine, but even if you're losing a little money on each bullet you're probably ahead of the slot machine thing.

I have not tried to find proper 30 Luger bullets just lately, but it would be nice to know where to get them.
unspellable is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default bullets...

Hi unspellable, AZIS thought you were pretty OK too!....... as he wouldn't leave you alone after getting a pat or two on the head... You're now part of his,"best buddy" list just like me... Good thing he has a dry mouth.. My boxer dogs used to cover you in slobber.. this guys pretty dry.. Was fun spending the short time we had... Right now, I'm still considering the bullet building.. but have been leaning toward gilding metal instead of copper... probably about .020" thick (same as factory) instead of the recommended .030" copper, by Corbin... Interesting quest... got other fish to fry first!!! best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...