LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 11-08-2002, 01:45 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Post Odd Way To Boost

Just got a 1918 Artillery out of hock (literally, it was on layaway). Its in OK shape, 80% or so blue, straw faded away, some unfortunate sight work done on it, but not bad for the price.

I've been examining it closely, and have found an amazing thing. At first look it is all matching, but...under magnification the witness mark shows that the gun has been rebarrelled. The barrel appears to be an authentic LP-08 barrel, the proof is right and the serial numbers are the right size and in the right font (as is the bore dimension stamp), the barrel shows the same general wear as the rest of the gun.

But--

The frame number is 886b, and the barrel number is 886l (this is a bad typeface for the demonstration, thats lowercase L). If you check the script samples under Technical Information to the left, you will see that the marks are identical, save for one tiny stroke--easy enugh to miss during examination at the gun case.

Makes me wonder why someone changed the barrel in the first place, and why they would go to such trouble to find another barrel with a serial number which is all but the same.

I also have a question which may find an answer out there. The trigger lever is obviously a replacement, it is in white and stamped E25+. The + is not a plain stamp, it is an outlined figure like the Swiss cross. Does this ring any bells with anybody?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:34 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Dwight, I agree that your trigger lever is a Swiss. I do have original DWM, Erfurt, Simson or Mauser ones, if desired. Tom H.
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:17 AM   #3
Stu
User

Hi Dwight. I have exactly the same thing on a 1924 commercial. In addition it's fitted with a 'small button' locking bolt marked the same way on it's back face.

Who made the Swiss spares and for whose benefit I wonder ?
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 07:07 PM   #4
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts
Stu,

Do your Swiss parts have letters/numbers, or just the Swiss cross? Does anyone know what the sumbers signify?

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2002, 09:08 PM   #5
Stu
User

Hi Dwight, mine both have CN then the outlined +. I've no idea but as mine's commercial and has a Swiss style locking bolt I imagine they may be contemporary and the result of a repair in Switzerland at some time ?

My imagination may be taking over here [img]smile.gif[/img]
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I noted quite a few Swiss replacement parts in the imports from Norway of several years ago. Perhaps, these Swiss made parts were the only ones available new to them in the 1950s, when the Swiss were getting out of the luger manufacturing business.