LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
thecrumb
User

Default How / Where to sell / Estimate

I've been thinking of selling my grandfathers Luger. Would like to get something a bit more modern that I would be comfortable shooting.

All the numbers I can see match - and the only thing I know is missing is the small 'key' used to disassemble the gun.

I'm curious where the best place to sell a gun is? And how much I could reasonably expect to get for this one.

I know it's not in the greatest condition but I took it to a local gun shop and they quoted me around $600 which seemed a bit low to me.

I understand a gun shop can't give me full value because they need to turn around and make some $$. What legalities are involved with selling a gun to an individual? Or does that vary state by state?

And is there anything I can do maintenance wise that would help with the value? I watch Antiques Roadshow and they say never restore finishes etc

Any advice would be appreciated!

Jim

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	18056  

Name:	IMG_0100 - Copy.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	18057  

Name:	IMG_0093.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	18058  

Name:	IMG_0097 - Copy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	18059  

thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Can you post a few more photos? That will help us give you a better estimate.
Right here down in the "for sale" column is a very good place to start once an asking price has been reached.
As for the pawn shop quote, yes it is a bit low, but we can't say how low without more photos.
I hope you will think long and hard about selling Grand Dad's Luger for something more modern that is more comfortable to shoot. The remorse may be a few years out but it will come.
The only thing you should do to it is to maintain it so it does not rust. Do not attempt to improve its condition.
Selling to an individual is governed by your State/Local regs, so someone from NC could probably answer that better.
And my fingers are tired...
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #3
thecrumb
User

David, anything in particular I should take photos of? I haven't convinced myself to sell yet - more curiosity at this point.

Will try to take some more tomorrow with better lighting.

Thanks!
Jim
thecrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi,

Take overall photos showing both sides of the entire pistol.

Take closeups of all visible markings. This includes the top toggle, barrel serial number, etc.

Take the pictures in indirect natural light, not using flash. Diffuse light will show the finish more accurately.

The rules governing sales vary from state to state. You can sell directly to an individual out of state if they have a Federal Firearms License (FFL) of class 01 (dealer) or class 03 (Curio and Relic Collector).

If you sell within a state to a FFL, you must still observe state law on the transfer.

I would urge you to reconsider selling your family heirloom. It would be wiser to take good care of it, and save your money for something new to buy and shoot.

Your Luger should be lightly oiled, including the interior parts as well as the exterior. Try not to let oil soak into the wooden grips or the magazine base.

Don't do anything to alter the Luger. Don't refinish it. Don't try and remove oxidation. Just stabilize it with preservative oil. RemOil, a light gun oil, or something similar from Walmart. Don't handle it and leave fingerprints on it. There are things in your finger oil that will promote rust.

You have what appears to be an Imperial German era Luger in original finish. If all the numbered parts are matching, it is collectible.

Your grandfather may have received an authorization from his officer which allowed him to return to the US with his Luger. It would be part of the history of the pistol, and great if you located it.

There are members here that collect stories of these guns. Bring back stories. Please consider sharing it here.

Marc
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

I agree that selling a family heirloom is not always the best choice, but that said, if everyone kept their guns we would not have as many

Heirlooms can be different things to different folks, to Jim, it might be the fishing gear, or quilts that belonged to his grandparents, or kitchen items, it could be anything. So, he should think about selling or not, but remember that go with his heart.

The holster and sideplate are a bit rough, so.... that will bring value down...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote