LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
skeeter4206
User

Default D.v.p. East german luger

I recently got a D.V.P. luger with the East German eagle surmounting a crown/U on the left frame and receiver. The barrel appears to have been replaced with the crown over N power proof mark with 653 stamped underneath the crown/N which signifies the rebarreling in June of 1953.

After closer inspection of the luger revealed obvious buffing with some areas removing existing markings. On the right side of the receiver appears to be a de/63 stamp which is still half visible. There is something else stamped on the right side underneath the import stamp that I can quite make out.

I'm curious about the buffing off of the original markings, if this was something that would have been done when the luger was rebuilt. The magazine that came with this luger is the 2/1001 style which is proper for the D.V.P. rebuilt luger. The aluminum base has obvious buffing that removed the original markings and then stamped with the SN on the frame and receiver.

I wouldn't mind some feed back from those that could help out with what I am seeing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4455.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	52796

Name:	DSCN4462.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	52797

Name:	DSCN4017.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	52798

Name:	DSCN4031.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	52799

Name:	DSCN4036.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	52800

Name:	DSCN4046.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	52801

Name:	DSCN4054.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	176.9 KB
ID:	52802

Name:	DSCN4059.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	52803
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to skeeter4206 for your post:
Unread 10-21-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
RockinWR
User

Hi Glenn,
* Hope the attached link(s) help explain the E.C.C.S.A Importer's mark on your Luger.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ighlight=ECCSA

* FWIW: I also have run across an AutoMag report indicating E.C.C.S.A. stands for "East Coast Combat Shooter's Assoc." which was owned by the same fellow who owned the Cross Roads Gun Shop in Pensauken.

Respectfully,
Bob

Last edited by RockinWR; 10-21-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Add info
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Schupo
User

Glenn,

Buffing out markings is not typical of Deutsche Volkspolizei (DVP) work done at their Suhl armory. Some generalized buffing to remove rust or pits may have occurred prior to a reblue but old marking were either left intact or struck through to cancel them just as had been done prior to 1945. You can see this practice on the struck out "84" & "55" marks in your photograph. It is possible that the exporter or importer may have done a polish and re-blue prior to resale.

The magazine has a new "2/1001" marked new body and an old aluminum base it seems. I would expect the whole magazine to be newly made at the Thalmann works. If the base is old I would find it odd. If it is new it has been re-numbered to this pistol, probably by the importer.

I hope this is helpful.
Unread 10-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #4
skeeter4206
User

That is helpful. Looking through the web pictures and other pics I have seen of VOPO lugers, this was a first having the markings removed like this. I figured it would be an interesting topic. I wonder if there was another style import stamp along the whole side of the receiver that was removed as well before they stamped the E.C.C.S.A. on it.

Thanks
skeeter4206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2015, 10:18 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinWR View Post
* FWIW: I also have run across an AutoMag report indicating E.C.C.S.A. stands for "East Coast Combat Shooter's Assoc." which was owned by the same fellow who owned the Cross Roads Gun Shop in Pensauken.
Bob -

Can you scan that article or at least the part about E.C.C.S.A???

It's not that I doubt you (it seems logical) but in the future others will ask if that is a 'real' association...(I Googled it and nothing came up).

BTW: I own a handgun with the E.C.C.S.A. stamp on it. I knew where it came from, always wondered what it meant.

There is a brief description of the legal difficulties that Cross Roads ran into posted somewhere here on the Forum...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2015, 02:01 AM   #6
RockinWR
User

Hi Richard,
* The Auto-Mag article appeared in Vol. XX, Issue #5 (8/87), Pg. 94 . It provides little more on the E,C.C.S.A. meaning than what I have posted above. Author did not cite his source(s) for the "East Coast Combat Shooting Assoc." meaning he reported. Hence my caution to take what was reported as "FWIW".
* This series of reports/questions (4/87-8/87) indicate the author personally reviewed hundreds of the P.08's. P.38's, and High Powers which were marked w/ the E.C.C.S.A. Importer's mark. Apparently these pistols were reviewed @ and were distributed by Davidson's (Greensboro, N.C.), Navy Arms, Delaware Shooter's Wholesale and possibly others.
* I have a byf'41, "all matching", excellent condition P.08 with this Importer's stamp on the R/H side flat. EG C/N rebarrel, DDR sunburst/numeral enrayed shield, bullseye VOPO plastic grips, and the sweetest single stage trigger I've ever experienced on a Luger. Qiute a shooter now bordering on a collectable.
* Trust this responds to your inquiry.
Respectfully
Bob

Last edited by RockinWR; 10-25-2015 at 04:30 PM.
RockinWR is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to RockinWR for your post:
Unread 10-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Thanks Bob!

I did see one of your posts over at Still's site, and found a couple more Philly newspaper reports about his legal difficulties stemming from Customs seizing his 1,000 Lugers for import violations. ECCSA's problems seem to date back to the mid to late 80's. Too bad.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote