LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 03-07-2019, 05:47 AM   #1
Stewman
User

Default Does this look correct?

Looking at lugers on gunbroker and came across this one. Is the side plate correct for that year? The pics are low resolution also so you cannot see the finnish or grips very well.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802311492
Stewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

I only see one photo of the side plate and see no issues. As I recall that one should have the first 2 digits of the serial number, plus (or minus) one, stamped on the inside of the side plate. But overall, given the quantity and quality of the photos (not good) I see no problems.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
4 Scale
User

I agree you cannot see the finish or grips very well. IMO for that amount of money you should have clear photos and more than ten of them.

At his bid minimum I'd expect a matching magazine and he is silent on the magazine. The lack of data on the magazine alone would tend to steer me away, magazines are an important part of any Luger purchase. I am also put off by gushing descriptions such as he uses in his remarks.

Personally I find judging high condition pistols as a potential purchase to be a challenge. I see many refinishes where the seller tries to pass it off as original. Not saying that is the case here, I can't tell.

Personally all these questions and the price would make me pass, it would not be a close call.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2019, 09:10 AM   #4
abukafura
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Agree with the above comments. The lack of any wear at all on the barrel edge and the bump on side plate would also cause me some concern.
abukafura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

I believe it is a nice, near new 1938 Mauser pistol, I'd ask if the magazine matches and the grips if I were interested.

That said, it is no bargain at $2500 starting, but then I don't understand why Mauser lugers bring the $$ they do- mystique I guess. I'd rather have a nice Imperial luger for $500 to $800 less.
JMHO.
The following 3 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 03-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #6
4 Scale
User

On this pistol, I'd add that he doesn't specify his return policy and he doesn't take credit cards. These are more negatives for me. Credit cards give you tremendous leverage if the piece is not as advertised. Better businesses will almost always take credit cards. A business that does not take CCs is not per se bad, but the odds increase that they may be.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote