LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 10-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Josafoot
User

Default C96 Red 9 Grips on Bolo Mauseer

Has anyone experimented with putting standard c96 "broomhandle" grips onto a Bolo C96?

I presume that the frame of the bolo mauser would be too small for the standard grips.

My reasoning being that the c96 is one of my favorite firearms to shoot; however, the small grip of the bolo mauser is slightly uncomfortable. I feel like the grip is small enough that I do not have the best control over the firearm when shooting it (generally I am shooting it single handed).

Perhaps I am not used to to the design.I feel like the grip is similar in size to a Ruger Bear-cat and I have no problem shooting that; perhaps it is the 9mm Para combined with the small handle.

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Josafoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
alvin
User

Won't fit.

If pay close attention to market, it's not hard to find excellent original large grip Mauser in $1200 - $1500. Treat it as a high-end shooter, and shoot it. Many Mauser variations have modest monetary value among its collectors in current market,,, unless it has matching stock. Gun alone in excellent shape does not go high in many cases. Take advantage of that.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post:
Unread 10-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #3
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

There are aftermarket, plastic, oversize grips for the bolo that would improve the grip size for shooting.

I have a pair somewhere, I'll find them and post a picture for you.
Unread 10-16-2017, 12:47 AM   #4
Josafoot
User

Thanks for the advice.

I am keeping an eye out for normal c96's. Inreally like that my bolo is chambered in 9x19mm.

I would really be interested in the repro grips.

Are the shansei (spelling?) Copies any good? I have seen a few kikcking around here and there.
Unread 10-16-2017, 06:01 AM   #5
Kyrie
User

I had the same issue with Bolo C96s at first, but got used to them with use. OTOH, there are some really extreme solutions done by people who just don't like the C96s' frame/grips:

Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Kyrie for your post:
Unread 10-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #6
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josafoot View Post
Are the shansei (spelling?) Copies any good? I have seen a few kikcking around here and there.
It's good for collectors who don't shoot their guns, most of those do NOT work as is. I heard some people could adjust those to make them work. One guy even offered me to adjust mine, but I had already sold it a few years ago. I have seen a few samples with deformed bolt lock, bolt and receiver... that's an indicator of some Shansei using soft steel to make critical guns parts, not good. Most Shansei floating on market are recent assembly, there are some originals, maybe original 1928 Shansei shoots better? Most likely, but I have NOT met any guy willing to shoot their original Shansei yet... people could shoot $20,000 West Hurley Thompson happily in range (a low end Tommy made in 1970s and 1980s, but counted as C&R), why can't they shoot a $5,000 Shansei C96 is beyond my understanding, but looks like that's the way it is. If you go to youtube.com, you saw people shooting this and shooting that, but you never see a guy shooting Shansei. Individuals either shoot or not shoot their guns, but statistically, that's abnormal.

For looking, they have some value. Be aware most Shansei on market are 1980s assembly. Not 1928. If you need one but don't know this variation, a simple rule to tell is this: any Shansei with more than 30% finish is new assembly. No need to look any other details, by that rule alone, you will be correct 99% of time. Know what it is, and pay accordingly. Recent assembly can be found around $1000 - $1500 back a few years ago. But the price of this type is also raising on market now. It's an interesting item to hold in hand, very heavy.

And, if you met a sample that actually works in range, please post a video on youtube.com. That will fill a black hole in gun shooting. The major problem that I met in the past was that they jammed like crazy on Winchester white box .45ACP ammo. In C96 domain, shooting a gun is an important way to reveal some facts.

Last edited by alvin; 10-16-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Unread 10-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #7
Josafoot
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrie View Post
I had the same issue with Bolo C96s at first, but got used to them with use. OTOH, there are some really extreme solutions done by people who just don't like the C96s' frame/grips:

]
That is an interesting looking gun. I am not sure I could do that to an old gun but that grip does look functional. I have a C96 (M712) Gas Airsoft pistol that I use as a sidearm and find the original grip fairly comfortable. Perhaps this is because there is less recoil; the recoil on the Gas airsoft pistols is more comparable to a .22 LR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
And, if you met a sample that actually works in range, please post a video on youtube.com. That will fill a black hole in gun shooting. The major problem that I met in the past was that they jammed like crazy on Winchester white box .45ACP ammo. In C96 domain, shooting a gun is an important way to reveal some facts.
I have heard that the Shansei pistols tend to be made with softer steel. I vaguely remember someone telling me to get the one with the "Yin Yang" looking symbol on the receiver as they are "proofed" and better quality. That marking is not a proof mark, but those ones were put through a proofing process before being released.

I have heard the "soft metal" has more to to with the fact that modern .45 ACP tends to have higher pressure than what the older shansei's were designed for.

Maybe I will just get used to the smaller grips. I learned how to deal with it on my Bear-Cat so I welcome the challenge.
Unread 10-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #8
alvin
User

Yeah, find range working items. Range performance tells a lot on item's quality and state. Generally speaking, "yellow metal tarnished in white hot torch flame is not gold". Good luck.

Tags
c96, mauser, rednine