LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 02-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Barrel replacement services update!

Hi to all! Well, the roads been bumpy, but really has been fun so far! Just when you think you've got a handle on things, you find out you are still in the "Baby turtle stage!" But, that having been said, I have had continued success and have brought a couple of old soldiers back to life... It's a real good feeling to see these old war horses perform like they did 100 years ago.. Just a few small springs, maybe a small part or two, and they run like new... I've reached a point in my efforts, where new and better fixtures are warranted, and as I add to my work bench, the job gets a'little more fool proof" all the time... And, as I mentioned earlier, I have acquired a lifetime of "fool" to overcome?? ...... I am getting quite a bit of help from some of our own forum members, and hope to enlist their aid whenever possible, or agreeable to them.. A very skilled bunch here.. ... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 11 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default help along the way!

Hello to all! Well, I've had to chamber a few.. and it's pretty amazing the range of chambers I've found on even the best of original barrels?? It seems as though barrels from the same era as the receivers are the very best bet! I have had quite a bit of excellent help along the way, as sheepherder and Olle have been helping me get to the next level....... Hey, this isn't for the faint of heart... as every step is a disaster in the making.. why do you think there are so many barrels with pipe wrench marks on them?? ... All in all, it's going well, let me know if any of you need a shooter re-barreled... I will do my best..BTW, waiting on a range report from Doc, his needed just about every ounce of my ability to straighten out??... Went a little outside my skill sets.. but, that's where my forum friends shine... BTW squared! Had some parts blued by Thor, another outstanding job as always, went the extra step and then some... As I've said before, a lot of talent here...... best to all, til..lat'r...GT
The following 2 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,440 Times in 2,328 Posts

Is there anyone in your sphere of influence who does bluing??? Not buffing, necessarily, but dip-bluing...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts

Rich,

You could give GunBlack http://www.gunblack.com/ a call. They're close to me, in Interlaken. The owner's son, Steve, is quality-conscious, really seems to know his stuff/processes, and is a nice guy, to boot. And I've been able to pay with a couple of bottles of La Fin du Monde, or similar, each time. You can save a lot if whatever you send is stripped down and prepped--they will degrease and acid dip, then hot blue. Great quality finish!

I've had them blue the barrel sleeve spacer for my Luger-to-.22 conversion kit, and a half dozen parts for my Thompson's soon-to-be removable butt stock. (I'm having the lower frame milled to receive an adapter plate, which my machinist is also making [He can probably make more adapters, once the recipe is established. I'm pretty sure John S. wants one for his Tommy project.])
Unread 04-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
You could give GunBlack http://www.gunblack.com/ a call.
I've filled out their contact form with a short explanation of my 'dip only' requirements. I'll be interested to see how they respond.
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Gerry, if I wanted to shorten a carbine or artillery barrel, could you saw off the front sight band, bore it out, turn down the barrel stub and silver-solder the front sight band back on???

I would try it myself but I am not confident in my ability to solder the band back on without slobbering up the entire muzzle with solder...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarbineTest1a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	41453  

The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #7
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Rich,

I could send you a coil or two of 1/32" D silver brazing alloy from my roll. The small D. would enable you to apply tiny amounts at a time to keep the surrounding area neat. Clean the surfaces to be joined well first, then when fluxing remember more is less. The flux will "clean" the bluing right off if you're not careful; and these areas will risk wicking the solder to follow wherever the flux has been. If you get an errant blob of solder, re-heat this area somewhat to make the alloy plastic, then a quick swipe of a wire brush will remove dimension from the deposit, leaving mostly only a surface coating, which is less work to sand off. Theoretically, the joint should be a .001 or two between the surfaces. Pre-flux, like a plumbing joint and slowly heat until the flux melts and runs, which distributes the flux and its chemical cleaning power to wherever it goes. The flux will probably bubble out a bit, as its water content expands and escapes. Wipe excess unwanted flux off with a damp rag. Heat both sides as evenly as you can, and the fused solder should wick into the joint, leaving very little where you don't want it.

Or you could drive down between the lakes and we can do it at my shop...
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #8
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,676 Posts

I think Rich is asking partially on my behalf as I have a "fat barrel Baby" Luger project that he and I have been discussing and the barrel band attachment is part of the process. He has really been responsible for my thinking about rekindling the project that I started probably close to 30 years ago! Just yesterday he gave me a heads up on a "Fat Barrel" in 7.65mm that is threaded for the long receiver that I need which is being offered by Sarco. I have one ordered so we will see if that becomes part of the solution. I have done quite a bit of jewelry silver soldering years ago but I don't have the tools or ability to do the machine work for the barrel band modification.
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Olle
User

To add to what David is saying: I would tin the surfaces first, it seems to help the solder "find its way" to the right place. You flux the surface, then heat it and apply the solder, once it's good and runny you wipe it with a rag, Q-tips or whatever works to get the excess off. This will leave a very thin coat of solder on the surfaces. Slip the barrel band on and put it in a padded vise, with the muzzle up. Apply a little bit of flux, reheat and apply a tiny amount of solder. If everything works as intended, the solder will wick into the seam and fill it completely. It takes a minimal amount to fill the seam, so the thinner diameter solder David is talking about should work well to minimize the amount you add.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:31 AM   #10
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,676 Posts

Olle,
The tinning approach is what I have in mind. I have read that "tinning and sweating" is how some gunsmiths attach sights or join barrels on a double rifle.
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Or you could drive down between the lakes and we can do it at my shop...
I doubt there is enough beer in Mecklenburg for that...

In the far past, I have done some silver-soldering, but I am 50 years out of practice and don't want to mess up a costly project, mine or someone else's. I also don't have the tools to hold a sight band in place (so it doesn't slip when the solder starts to run). Brownell's does sell such a tool, but really, I have a cabinet full of jigs, fixtures, and specialty tools that were used once or twice and never touched again.
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
...I have a "fat barrel Baby" Luger project...but I don't have the tools or ability to do the machine work for the barrel band modification.
That part is easy (relatively speaking). The band & barrel stub could even be threaded, although I can't think of why anyone would want to...

In any case, I'm not trying to muscle in on G.T.'s business; I just wanted to know if he could provide that service. I don't need it yet, but might in the future.
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

In the "good ole days" when I did such work, and was out of the THIN silver solder, I would take some nice round solder from the reel and pound it flat on the anvil ... with a clean surface you can wrap the flat solder around the area to be tinned and then heat it until it 'runs'...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Late to the party!

Hi Rich and all! Sorry, just got back to this thread! And, I'm afraid I'm in the same boat as the rest of you, when it comes to silver solder???... I've not done enough to trust my limited experience... The machining wouldn't be too tough??... But, then again, I've not yet attempted it... Best to all, til...lat'r....GT BTW, Rich, I'll certainly help you out in any way I can!! ...
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #15
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Oxy-acetylene/propane will give plenty of heat to do the job; in a pinch, one can use two propane bottle torches. Sweating is good, but I think unnecessary, in that even if only the extremities of the joint are solid it would be plenty to hold the assembly in perpetuity.

I once hired out to one of those places around here that manufactures turbine blades. The particular order was too much for their in house welder, and I was taken on for a couple weeks. We used an RF generator to heat the materials between the tubes of its loop. We were silver soldering Stellite (an alloy that resists erosion from low pressure steam) strips into pockets milled on the blades' leading edges.

All parts had a final cleanse in alcohol; then a coat of paste flux, a strip of flat silver alloy clamped in between components, then turn on the juice/heat. An optical temp sensor helped us prevent over-temp. A bit of art work was involved because the heated piece had a significantly different shape than when cold. Our work was good enough to pass X-ray inspection at an acceptable rate, so I'm confident that if it can be done to a long set of dissimilar metals that changed shape that much when heated, not many would have problems doing such a straightforward chore as a barrel band. As an old timer at a scrap yard I worked in WAY back in the day, "Go right at it just like you knew what you was doin'!"
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I also don't have the tools to hold a sight band in place (so it doesn't slip when the solder starts to run).
I can't see why the band would slip...? If the barrel is turned down, it will have a shoulder as a positive stop. Just heat it, solder it and tap it lightly while it's still hot to make sure that it's all the way home. If you're worried about the indexing, keep in mind that it's very easy to adjust by simply heating it again.
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:52 PM   #17
Olle
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
In the "good ole days" when I did such work, and was out of the THIN silver solder, I would take some nice round solder from the reel and pound it flat on the anvil ... with a clean surface you can wrap the flat solder around the area to be tinned and then heat it until it 'runs'...
Thanks, I will add that to my book of "down and dirty tricks". I guess the "thin" solder you refer to is the ribbon? I'm thinking about getting some of that, haven't tried it yet but I figure that it's one of those things that "may come in handy one day".
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #18
GySgt1811
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

(Geez, I gotta quietly stick my nose in here...

I am following this wonderful thread with awe! You guys are fantastic; do you mind if I genuflect?

Enraptured,

Gunny John)

PS. Wow! And I ain't kiddin'!
GySgt1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #19
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle View Post
I can't see why the band would slip...?
You can't have it both ways...It's either a slip fit or an interference fit. And back when I did do brazing/silver-soldering, parts did move when heated & the solder/braze flowed. Sometimes parts would fall off.

I might be able to make up a 'clamp' out of a clothes pin spring, a piece of rod stuck in the bore, and another rod or strip bent to hold the band in place...Maybe even a big alligator clip...

But that's not my biggest misgiving. I did get a roll of Silvaloy, a jar of UltraFlux, and some soldering talc sticks from my last Brownell's order. I've had braze flow where I don't want it. Back in the day, I used 'Bear Snot' to keep solder from running on elevator cables, when we soldered steel ferrules on the ends (1" steel woven cable). But I don't have any anymore.

G.T. sent me a Luger barrel to practice on. I'll give it a try sometime soon. It's old and corroded, like they all are, maybe that'll help keep the solder from spreading.
Unread 04-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #20
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

You folks have definitly evolved from your high school shop class!
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to cirelaw for your post: