LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-19-2001, 12:22 AM   #1
mac

Default S-date Krieghoff

Keep a glass of water near you in case you catch fire reading this message. First, rank the value of the following:

1. original condition as-manufactured S-date HK Suhl luger with 98% finish and non-matched magazine.

2. mismatched import dip-blued S-date HK Suhl luger with mismatched magazine and replaced grips.

3. 60% finish S-date HK Suhl luger with uneven finish (finish differs in wear on differing parts), some scratches on the front grip strap but as-manufactured grips and all. Has a mismatched magazine but is all original, if uneven and worn, finish. Slight chance of cold blue on sideplate but my inspection suggests it is typical inconsistent HK finish.

4. Reblued and restrawed (well-done "restoration" grade rework) HK Suhl S-date luger in 99% finish with all original matched parts and a period mismatched magazine (not HK mag).

I spoke with someone who wishes to restore a 60% HK S-date luger. The belief is it will have more value restored.

Some data so far: Simpson's LTD lists 95% S-date HK lugers like this at around $2800-3000. The restoration might have a value of $1850 or so as it appears the collector mkt may be increasing the value of reworked lugers. It seems reworked lugers sell slowly; River Bend had a K-date restoration that was for sale for a long time though it was advertised as a quality restoration. Other restorations also seem to hang around quite a while on his list.

Ok, what are your rankings and your opinions on whether the 60% (could be 50-70% depending on your evaluation) luger should be left as is, restored, or something else?

dm

Unread 02-19-2001, 05:57 AM   #2
Joe DeLong

Default Re: S-date Krieghoff

What's to get hot about? Too easy.

1. $3000.00 (If I were selling it.)

2. $400.00 (Junk shooter. But we'll add 50 bucks for the Krieghoff link.)

3. $1000.00 (If I were selling it. It's still a Krieghoff.)

4. $800.00 (A "pretty" shooter costs a little more.)

Leave the original alone.

Unread 02-19-2001, 06:42 AM   #3
Mavin

I must agree with Joe on this one. I would rather have a Krieghoff in original 50-60% condition than one that has been restored. The imoport marked, dip blued pistol would be a candidate to me for restoration because it has already been "dinked" with and the restoring it back may add some value back to it. The cost of the restoration would not be eveident immediatly, but over the years you could recoup your original costs.

Marvin

Unread 02-20-2001, 02:02 PM   #4
Dieter Kastel

Don't restore guns in original condition! I will collect Lugers (i have two: 1918 Erfurt, 1934 Mauser). An original Krieghoff is in germany very expensive, i'd like to have one. Is it possible to import Lugers back to germany? How are the prices? Many thanks for answering. Dieter from Wuppertal in Germany.

Unread 02-20-2001, 04:00 PM   #5
mac

Perhaps you might contact your federal custom's agency to determine if a luger can be reimported. I know the seller of an original S-date Krieghoff luger and he may restore it if its value is not stronger in original condition.

Let us know what you find out.

dm

Unread 02-20-2001, 04:01 PM   #6
RET
User

Hello Dieter.

Krieghoff Lugers are not cheap in the US either.

Please check the Links and Resources for links to Ralph Shattuck's site. He can likely help you with both procurement and export information.

Best regards,

Bob

Unread 02-20-2001, 04:09 PM   #7
Ted
User

Some original condition guns are in poor shape and I think they are better off being reworked! Just my opinion. Here is a grip strap of a 1914 Erfurt Artillery Luger (LANGE P08)that I reworked. A major Luger dealer saw this gun and rated it worth $1700 in restored condition. It it because not too many were made. I doubt anybody would pay that for that gun in the condition I got it in! Better the restorers bench than the trash can in my view! Ted

http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/tedpit.jpg
Unread 02-21-2001, 02:09 AM   #8
mac

It is a difficult call in some instances. I have drawn my decision criteria from the criteria used by a few museums that have done an outstanding job of preserving and maintaining artifacts in a wide variety of conditions. I strongly err on the side of leaving a gun as is, even if in relatively rough condition. Time favors such treatment. In 100 years, the rough gun will be of more historical and technical value and importance than the restored gun even though in the short run the restored gun might have more market value. That situation is rare but may happen once in a while.

That does not mean I think you should not have restored the 1914 Erfurt, it is a judgment call and depends also on the skill of the restorer. Just any old "restoration" would not be acceptable--most look awful, way too dark, too pretty and too "plastic" (no respect for machining and other details). Some look like the well-known "licked lollipop" reblue. I have come to admire the refinishing work you are doing and appreciate the effort and research you are applying to it. I certainly do not criticize your decision.

1914 Erfurts, though popular collectibles, are not so rare that we don't have original examples to study. If you think it needed rework--and your photo suggests a lot of pitting was present--then that was what was needed. My concern is with guns that retain important information about their manufacture and history--I don't recommend removing that information through rebluing.

I thank everyone for their comments--a very knowledgable group with passionate opinions about history and arms.

DM

Unread 03-02-2001, 04:40 PM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default Hey Ted, if you ever look down this far on the message lists...

how about posting the "after" picture for this rework showing not only the whole gun but the same view as this "before" to show the difference.

Thanks,

John