LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-28-2001, 07:59 PM   #1
Mike

Default S 42 question

Looked at a 1939 S 42 today and have a couple of questions-piece is excellent+ in and out but the side plate has some blotchey looking reddish discoloration-also the # on the side plate "09" looks like the rest of the #'s on the gun but has a faint circle surrounding it-on the inside of the side plate there is a similar mark opposite the outside-not a dent, tho-I have not fooled much with lugers in the last few years and am unfamiliar with the current fakery and remarking techniques.

Wondering if this is a faked #. Gun is real nice with a real nice 42 holster-one unmatched mag no tool-what is ball park figure on this piece?

Mike P

Unread 02-28-2001, 10:33 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: S 42 question

Mike,

The sideplate is the only small part on a Mauser that can be told with almost certainty whether it is correct or not. If you would like to e-mail me I will help you with the sideplate.

Unread 03-01-2001, 10:59 AM   #3
Dok
RIP

Default Why don't you answer in forum...

so that everyone may benefit from that insight?

Unread 03-01-2001, 12:07 PM   #4
Hugh
RIP

Default Re: Why don't you answer in forum...

I have read somewhere that the numbers stamped inside the sideplate of Mauser made Lugers would be either (a) same as the first two digits of the serial #, (b) same as the last two digits of the serial #, or (c) one number off from the last two digits of the serial number.

Unread 03-01-2001, 02:32 PM   #5
Joe DeLong

Thought everyone knew this. Beginning in mid-'37, along with the other changes, Mauser began to place a small, two-digit number on the inside of the sideplate, that when combined with the outside number; give the serial. THIS IS NOT A HARD AND FAST RULE! I have seen pistols I knew to be original, that were un-marked on the inside of the sideplate. In general, they are marked several ways. The most common is the first two digits of the guns' serial; plus one. OR; actual two numbers. OR; actual two numbers in reverse order. For a three-digit serial; actual number. As an example, 1939, 42, serial 5324, has 24 on the outside of the sideplate, and 54 on the inside. It could also be 53, or 35 on the inside. Pistol S/42, 1938, serial 8297, has 97 outside, and 82 inside. There is no rhyme or reason to the method employed; if at all. That is; certain letter blocks were done one way, or certain years / codes done another way. Enjoy!

Unread 03-01-2001, 02:53 PM   #6
Johnny Peppers
User

He didn't post his serial number, and thought he might want to handle it off forum.

Unread 03-01-2001, 10:39 PM   #7
Mike

Folks-

thanks for the concern-I don't have the gun in my posession and don't have the whole #-am going to get the details.

Have just discovered this forum and have enjoyed the info provided-has revived some of my interest in P08s-I have 12 of them I scrounged up over the last 35 years at random and at current prices probably won't acquire a whole lot more-Can't get into rebuilds or reblues but that's just me.

Appreciate the atitudes most of youse guys seem to have on sharing info.

regards,

Mike