LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 08-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts
Default "Alpini" WWI on the Austrian border

Eric

I've fund these old videos about the Italian Alpine troops (Alpini) related to the 1st World War .
Both my grand fathers were there, one of them was a "Bersagliere" (Italian light-infantryman, those with bantam feathers on their hats).

I thouht you might have been interested.

Sergio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gyWPZg5yXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l18Egd73miY
Unread 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Sergio,

Thank you. This brought back some memories!! Not of WWI, of course, but of the Alpini and Bersagliere. In the early 60s, I commanded a Special Weapons Detachment attached to the Italian Army's Third Missile Brigade (Tertia Brigata Missili). We operated in the North; in areas where many WWI battles were fought. Alpini units provided much of our security and occasionally we would exercise with the Bersaglieri.

Lots of good memories, great meals at 5-7,000 feet up in the Alps, and liters of great wine and Cafe Correcto consumed.

Saluti,

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to guns3545 for your post:
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:12 PM   #3
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

For me it was (1986-1988)Communication Site Chief, 54th Signal Company, 509th Signal Battalion, attached to 34th U.S. Army Air Defense (Nike Hercules) assigned to :
1ª Brigata Aerea , 16° Stormo , 57° Gruppo Intercettori, Aeronautica Militare, Ceggia
(1st Air Brigade, 16th Wing, 57th Interceptor Group, Italian Air Force (Ceggia Missle Base)).

Two of the best years of my life.

Our security was provided by the Carabinieri Detachment. But met many Alpini while I was there. I have a good friend here in Washington DC who took Alpini training... and has the hat to prove it!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

To both Johns...we have a bit in common. I commanded a double Nike Hercules battery in New Jersey back in the days of the North American Air Defense and a Special Weapons team in Germany.
Unread 08-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Ron... at Sandy Hook, NJ? I used to go the beach there while teaching at Fort Monmouth in 1974-75...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #6
guns3545
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

John S: For me it was (1986-1988)Communication Site Chief, 54th Signal Company, 509th Signal Battalion, attached to 34th U.S. Army Air Defense (Nike Hercules) .

John R: I know the 509th. We used the Italian Comms systems for most tactical communications.

But, Special Weapons release codes came over Sideband, which at that time was state of the art. The 509th provided that support. Tested and exercised a lot but only used twice for real in 4 years. August 1961 and October 1962. Things got a bit tense for a while.

BTW, we were the 29th USA Missile Detachment. There was also the 28th.

And, I knew a few of the guys from the 31st and 34th. They were Fort Bliss guys and worked with the Italian Air Force.. We were Fort Sill guys and worked with the Italian Army. Mainly Honest John and 8 inch howitzer, a little ADM.

John
guns3545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sabato View Post
Ron... at Sandy Hook, NJ? I used to go the beach there while teaching at Fort Monmouth in 1974-75...
Nope, I had the larger battery (one more launcher section!) at Clementon, 1969-70.
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Above I mentioned the so called "BERSAGLIERI", for whoever is interested to know somehing more about this corps:

The Bersaglieri (Italian pronunciation: [bersaʎˈːɛri]) (Marksmen in English) are a corps of the Italian Army originally created by General Alessandro La Marmora on 18 June 1836 to serve in the Piedmontese Army, later to become the Royal Italian Army. They have always been a high-mobility infantry unit, and can still be recognized by the distinctive wide brimmed hat that they wear (only in dress uniform in modern times), decorated with black capercaillie feathers. The feathers are usually applied to their combat helmets. Another distinctive trait of the Bersaglieri is the fast jog pace they keep on parades, instead of marching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSLEVILTZgk

Hope you all enjoy it.

Sergio