LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 07-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
alvin
User

Default "Hashmark" Bolo, who did this?

It's a well known variation: postwar Bolo in certain s/n range had its short barrel cut off, and a long barrel welded on it, with hashmarks nicely added around the welding position. Coming with "Germany", 50-1000 sight leaf with flat sight ramp, and pinned front sight. All of them (that I have seen), regardless of their current condition, appear in the same way. Another thing common across instances -- the finish on the barrel is poorer than the gun body. Muzzle picture shows the possibility of bore being relined (so the barrel might not be 7,63 originally, but relined to this caliber).

Is there any record indicating this was done by the factory, by an exporter, or by an importer in 1920s? Any thought?

Here is an instance, with some detail pictures:

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/12228122
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

I have never seen or heard of a 'hashmarked' barrel; it is much easier to mimic the M30 stepped barrel when replacing a barrel...That it is welded indicates to me that the 'new' barrel is not threaded but simply inserted & welded...The 'hashmarks' are to hide the weld??? Hmph...Which looks worse; a weld or a hashmark??? Re-blued, and the grips fit a lot sloppier than any of my C96/M30 grips...

I've also never seen a pinned front sight blade on a C96, have you??? In fact, I've never seen a 'band' for the front sight on a C96/M30...

71 bids and up to $3006...I find that unbelievable...

I can't tell if the book illustration shows the 'hashmarks'...Do you have the book??? Does it show 'hashmarks'???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
alvin
User

This type of bolo was documented in Schroeder's and Erickson's books. It has been there for long long time, definitely not recently modified. It's scarce, not showing up frequently. But we still see them for sale occasionally.

Postwar bolo's grip panels just fit like this. Not abnormal.

Individually and randomly reworked Mausers could be in any form. But pinned front sight is universal on "hashmark bolo". it's safe to assume it's modified by a single organization in 1920s. At least, I think so. But it's hard to guess who did it.

Back one or two months ago, another hashmark bolo instance was sold online. The metal of the gun is excellent, not rust, not pits, the edge is crisp, the grip wood is VG, the bore is excellent, but finish is all gone. The gun was in white. Looks like someone erased the blue chemically. Why did the previous owner erase the blue? Could it because the blue was so uneven on barrel, and the owner felt that's annoying so he erased all blue making it all white?? Don't know. Just one possibility.
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
alvin
User

It's $3805 now. Still has 6 days to go. I bookmarked it.

The more I look at this bolo, the more I feel I should keep my Flatside for a good day in future These Mausers are in current price range simply because China and Russia have extremely strict gun law. Otherwise, all of them will flow out of this country's gun market. Lucky here.