LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-28-2001, 10:17 AM   #1
Ted
User

Default Luger Rigs

I have noticed some people like to have a matching holster, mag type and take down tool. Does anyone here feel that way or do you just collect Lugers. I am starting to lean myself towards wanting the completed rig! I do have some catching up to do! Ted

Unread 02-28-2001, 10:25 AM   #2
bob
User

Default Re: Luger Rigs

Ted,

I try to have a complete set with all my weapons in my collection, from 1911s, 1917s, C-96s, PPs, PPks, P-38s and of course LUGERS.

Would you not like to have a Naval or Artillery with all the goodies????

Unread 02-28-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Default To each his (or her) own !!

I really believe that each of us has their own preferences. Some collect Lugers, some P38's, some PPK's, etc. If you want to collect rigs, then so be it. I have several, but my feeling is that I would rather spend the bucks on a pistol. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth !!

Unread 02-28-2001, 11:26 AM   #4
Marvin Cook

I have a complete rig with all my Lugers except one. Most them are rigs which I have assembled with the correct tool and the proper mismatched magazine. I do have several that have the complete original rig because I got them from the veteran. I do collect pistols first and if I can get a complete rig I do so, but the pistol is the forst priority.

My collection consists of all handguns used by the Third Reich forces with the Luger and P.38 be the most prevalent.

marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 04:57 PM   #5
Hugh
RIP

I have assembled complete rigs (with correct but unmatched extra mag)for some of my better grade Lugers, but don't try to do it with all of them.

Unread 02-28-2001, 05:08 PM   #6
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

The only rigs I have are those that I had to get when I bought a Luger I wanted. Except the 1917 Arty, which I am still trying to complete. And the 1917 Navy, which I haven't started.

Unread 02-28-2001, 06:17 PM   #7
Marvin
User

Frank,

Good Luck on finding a nice holster rig for your Artillery. I have a 1917 artillery in approx. 95-96% condition and it came in an unmarked Art. holster with the cleaning rod. I bought this from a dealer whom I know and he said he got the rig from a veteran from WWII. i don't know how it was carried, but there are no shoulder straps and it did not come with the rest of the harness. I did add a shoulder stock to it about 1 year ago. I sure wish I knew some history behind it.

marvin

Unread 02-28-2001, 06:54 PM   #8
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Marvin, I got the gun, I got the holster, I got the stock. I got a repro boot, I got a repro boot strap, I got a commercial magazine pouch. I need original boot, boot strap, magazine pouch and shoulder straps. I accept your good lucks. Man they are hard to find !!!!

Unread 03-01-2001, 12:07 AM   #9
BILL
User

Normally I would say "doesn't everyone try to acquire the full rig to match their pistol?" but with all the emotions surrounding this practice (and all the tiptoeing around it) I guess I will have to just say "I do, and I am". I have always tried to have a correct mag and rig for any military pistols that I have. A western tooled cowboy holster with a cartridge loop belt for a 1908 commercial just wouldn't seem right (well, maybe if it had the leather tie down straps). If I had 1600+ Lugers then it would be a different story.

Unread 03-01-2001, 06:53 AM   #10
Marvin
User

Speaking of rigs. The way holsters were shipped from the factory to the distribution depots, and finally to the local armory, a Luger could have a holster one year before or one year after the pistol date and still be correct. As holsters were put into inventory, the stamps did not mean anything to anyone as they were issued. The Germans used the last in, first out system of distribution. If a large depot had a big quantity of holsters, the ones put in first may not get shipped to the local areas for a while. I also like to get the same year holster with the pistol, but the one year before or after also works.

In addition, a rig may be 100% correct for the early Lugers (1935, 1936, etc.) because I am sure the holsters would be replaced in a few years if they were damaged and they would be the later years production. So, a 1936 Luger would be correct if it had a 1942 holster. What are some other thoughts?

Marvin

Unread 03-01-2001, 08:34 AM   #11
tom heller

Ted et al, The only Luger holsters that I've run into that were serialized to the pistol, have been Police issue, or insome cases, military with the same (as grip strap marking on pistol) unit ID coding. Here it makes a lot of sense to keep these with the gun that they are matched to and adds considerably to the value of the package. In most cases, the military drew their holster (separately from the pistol shipments) from clothing depots and issued them at random, so that just about any combination is possible. As others have mentioned, you can spend a lot of time and money finding that 1935 dated military holster to go with your G date luger, so its really a matter of your personal priorities and luck finding what's appropriate. Tom

Unread 03-01-2001, 08:20 PM   #12
Steve
User

As to rigs, it seems to me that trying to find a matching dated rig when it comes to K or G date Lugers would be the most difficult. There are far more 1934 manufactured holsters around than 1935 even though production of G date

Lugers was much higher than K dates. I have a fairly nice K

date holster but no K date Luger; same situation with my G date Luger, no G date holster. I would consider it to be proper though to find a G date with a K date holster.(My G

date came with a 1940 mfg marked holster.)Steve