LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
tmea
User

Default History of my P08

All:
I'm hoping you can assist me with identifying the history of my P08. I have had it for several years. It is a great shooter and in excellent condition. I'm having trouble nailing down its origions and history.

As best I can discerne it is a Mauser production weapon that was post war reworked and sold commercially here in the U.S. I suspect from the box that it's rework and commercial resale origions are from the former East Germay (DDR) because the box states German Government contract and not West German Government contract.

As you can see it was stamped with new serial numbers when reconditioned. With the exception of the side plate all serial numbers match either the origional or subsequent serial number. Barrel, frame and most other numbers match the origional number.

I would appreciate your comments and insights.

v/r
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	49955  

tmea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
tmea
User

Default re. pics

I've uploaded several pics. After initiating it says that the uploads were a failure. One or two howver appear on the post then are gone. Frusterating.. I've tried twice. Not sure what the problem is. I'll try another approach and see if that works.

Tom
Unread 06-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Sometimes the site wants you to make at least 5 or so posts before it lets you upload anything. This is to keep spam bots from posting non-relevant stuff on the site.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
tmea
User

Tried again. Upload failed. Pics are under the minimum size too. Frustrating, I'm doing everything the sticky on pic posting says. Not much help you can give me without pictures. Thanks for reading anyway. I'll have to find another venue/site to post my question in. Any recommendations?

Tom
Unread 06-26-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
alanint
User

Don't give up! A member here may accept your photos and post them for you.

Let's wait, as I an unsure about this process.
Unread 06-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

tmea,
send me your pictures and I'll give it a try.

Welcome to the board.

donvoigt at hotmail.com
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Yeah, you can create an album in your personal account area.
Then it's easier to link to the photos which become "attachment" files.
I'm happy to help post your photos, too.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
tmea
User

Will see if this works. If so, here is my origional question/post:

All:
I'm hoping you can assist me with identifying the history of my P08. I have had it for several years. It is a great shooter and in excellent condition. I'm having trouble nailing down its origions and history.

As best I can discerne it is a Mauser production weapon that was post war reworked and sold commercially here in the U.S. I suspect from the box that it's rework and commercial resale origions are from the former East Germay (DDR) because the box states German Government contract and not West German Government contract.

As you can see it was stamped with new serial numbers when reconditioned. With the exception of the side plate all serial numbers match either the origional or subsequent serial number. Barrel, frame and most other numbers match the origional number.

I would appreciate your comments and insights.

v/r
Tom

[IMG][/IMG]

Unread 06-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
alanint
User

What is the chamber date?
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #10
tmea
User

Sorry,1938.
Unread 06-27-2015, 05:14 PM   #11
tmea
User

Correction 1936
Unread 06-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #12
tmea
User

Default Anyone?

Have an idea or recommend a site taat can answer my question? I thought this would surely be the place for answers.

Tom
Unread 06-30-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,348 Times in 2,038 Posts

It is as good a place as any, I thought your question was answered.

Maybe you can re-state what it is you want to know?
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

No one and no site can give you an itemized history of your pistol. There are no such records still existing.

We can generally tell you who manufactured your pistol, and parts and a close estimate of time of manufacture. We can generally tell you who proof marked or inspected your pistol. The history of which unit, or who it was issued to, and where it travelled will likely never be known. If you are blessed enough to personally know the veteran who brought it home from the war, you would have a general idea of who he captured it from, and where it happened, but the chances of ever knowing more than that are unlikely.

Some World War 1 pistols, and police issued pistols were stamped with their initial units, but they generally stopped that practice well before WW2.

Sorry---but you are not the only one who wishes he could know more.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 08-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #15
4 Scale
User

It would help if the picture of the left side of the gun above the takedown lever was clear, there is some sort of non-standard marking there but I can't read it. In general all your photos should be bigger and sharper if you wish a careful photo inspection by those here. A photo of every single marking would be helpful. Magazines are also of interest to collectors and you might include detailed pictures of that, again trying to get clear pictures of any markings on the magazine. Luger fans love big, well-lit, clear photos of any P.08. It is the best way to get people interested in and commenting on the pistol.

Also full views of the top and both sides of the pistol. Photos taken in indirect sunlight, sharp and clear and large enough to fully show the subject are ideal.

That said, it seems you have a 1936 Mauser that has been buffed and reblued. On the front right of the frame, from what is visible there appear to be standard inspection and acceptance proofs meaning the gun was accepted into service in the German army. As such, it joins roughly 80,000 other guns from that year as I recall. 1936 Mausers are considered by some to be a desirable year in terms of workmanship and appearance. The trigger, takedown lever, safety lever and magazine catch should be a yellowish color if correct - those parts were originally strawed, not blued. The toggle designation "S/42" is correct for that year, however it does not appear to be numbered to the gun. The extractor appears un-numbered and therefore a replacement part.

Perhaps someone will be able to id the box; I cannot help you there.

I have two 1936s and love looking at others, thanks for posting.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote