LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Luger Accessories

Unread 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #21
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Rich, I recall reading that the bullet has left the barrel before the toggle is unlocked. If so, suppressor would have no effect?

Some years ago someone made a system that cancelled all road noise in small cars with little insulation and replaced it with the growl of a Ferrari. Outside no difference, but inside, a different car!
Unread 03-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #22
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default The First Reference To A Luger Silencer In 1958

In fred Datig's book 'The Luger Pistol' Way COOOL!!!! Eric~~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SILENCER 001.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	40886  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #23
stressed
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Get yours here:
http://www.1022fungun.com/store/pc/home.asp

Kinda hit & miss on finding a reliable 50 rd drum magazine, some work and some don't by the same manuf, and no make is more reliable than the other! You can get a dummy with the kit that holds 10 rounds.
Nice, they even have an Thompson "squad leader" which is the one I would go with. I actually have a nice M1 carbine stock conversion on my 10/22 right now.

A silenced luger will be much more quiet even with it's action. You would want to run 147gr bullets or suppresser specific 124gr.

And no, suppressers don't quiet it down to just "Phvvvt" like the movies, and they don't sound anything like that. There are some silenced sub guns and carbines, like the .45 ACP DeLisle carbine for picking off sentries in WWII, and the sterling Mk5 where literally all you hear is the action working.
Looking for any Mauser S/42 #89 parts
stressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 03:45 PM   #24
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Rich, I recall reading that the bullet has left the barrel before the toggle is unlocked. If so, suppressor would have no effect?
I think there would still be residual sound waves traveling in that direction...And escaping through the open breech...

also: If you're using the cartridge to cycle the action, would it still be subsonic???
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #25
gunbugs
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 1,139 Times in 377 Posts

A couple points here.
A suppressor doesn't quiet the bullet, it only captures the gasses escaping the muzzle, and allows them to expand and cool inside the suppressor, thus quieting the muzzle blast.
If the projectile, or bullet is still supersonic, it will make a noise as it breaks the sound barrier at approx. 1100 feet per second, a small "sonic boom".
There may be residual noise that escapes the breech when it opens, as there may be residual pressure from the firing of the cartridge, and the suppressor contains the muzzle blast, instead of allowing it to escape freely into the atmosphere. It thus may cause some "back pressure". Most folks who own "cans" can speak to this.
The oil filter adapter is ATF trouble waiting to happen. The minute you screw an oil filter onto the muzzle of your firearm, you have an un registered NFA item. ATF does not have a sense of humor about this. You should have VERY deep pockets to pay an attorney if you plan on having to fight the feds in their courtroom.
Just buy a commercially made can and pay the tax. Way cheaper and easier. Plus, a well made can is kinda nice.
gunbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to gunbugs for your post:
Unread 04-06-2014, 10:00 PM   #26
Dick Herman
User

There is an interesting narrative in "Borchardt & Lugers" (B&L). Volume III, page 1421 on "Silencers." One of the pictured Lugers has details similar to the pistols shown in Datig and Kenyon. In B&L the narrative refers to silenced Lugers as part of the UK MoD Pattern Room collection. The article refers to this type pistol development by the British Special Operations Executive (SOE). The SOE supplied this type pistol to the Resistance during WWII.
Dick Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Dick Herman for your post:
Unread 04-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #27
nukem556
User

Supposedly Roy Boehm, one of the first Navy Seals, clipped one of Castro's boys in the Dominican Republic in the late '50s with a suppressed Luger.
nukem556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
GreyHammer
User

This adapter is available for about $250 from the UK, but it only works on .30 Cal Luger barrels.

This is what Mark McWillis' opinion of this concept (www.trosusa.com) said in an email:

"No I don't make anything like that and they're a BAD idea. They depend on the OD of the barrel being concentric with the bore. I have threaded thousands of barrels and that is almost NEVER the case."

If they were not so expensive, I might try one of these adapters. Now, the thread is likely 1/2 - 20, and US suppressors for 9mm are usually 1/2-28, so a second adapter is likely needed. I also think that these adapters were made by the Swiss by the same folks who made the Luger flash suppressor currently for sale on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Luger-Swiss-...item20e3fedba1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LugerAdapter.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	41513  

Last edited by GreyHammer; 05-03-2014 at 08:38 PM. Reason: More information
GreyHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to GreyHammer for your post:
Unread 05-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #29
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

The item above is new production and sold from the "Prior Lake, Minnesota" source on ebay that has had so many public complaints about authenticity... I would be wary of the product if I were you... Just my $0.02 ...spend it wisely.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM   #30
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

CMR in the UK has what looks like the same item -

http://cmrfirearms.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=334

But listed for 7.65 & 9mm...Doesn't require barrel removal, but it's not clear if it is a two-piece unit or all one piece...

Should be no problem getting that imported and sent to your front door...
Attached Images

sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #31
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

I would not recommend passing a 115-124 grain projectile through this device at around 1200 FPS... Tolerances are not close enough to HOPE that the bore is concentric with the attachment. You pays your money and you takes your chances! Not a chance I would take.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #32
aldo35
User

Default Luger Barrel Extension

Hi,

I attended a Militaria Fair today in La Gleize, Belgium and was pleasantly surprised by the number of exhibitor offering Luger parts.

I purchase a fluted firing pin for 6E and saw many other parts reasonably price in the 20E to 50E. Why am writing in this thread I saw two exhibitors offering the above barrel extension. These had a WWII German Eagle over a number and P08 stamped on the flat surface. One table wanted 50E and only had one pc. The other table had several and wanted 30E/ea. These were described y the seller as a devise one placed on the barrel prior to running the cleaning rod down. It seemed to be a strange application. Does anyone have any ideas as to the correct use as I have seen this advertised on eBay as a barrel extension.

Aldo35
aldo35 is offline   Reply With Quote