LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-28-2002, 06:52 PM   #1
ronin
User

Post Where�´s the Luger? (dumb question #1)

Hi guys,

Let me ask you where is the Luger here. I apologize if the question does not make too much sense for you.

I�´ve started looking for a shooter and just spoke to someone trying to sell one for U$D 500 (faily reasonable price for what i want to spend and current market values). This guy, who doesn�´t know much about Lugers either and whom i just gave this board as a must see reference, told me that his gun is supposed to be a DMW with the date 1913 stamped on the chamber but non matching mumbers on the barrel /toggle and the rest of the gun (frame?).

Where is the gun? Is it more important the slide/top or the frame if you want to date or determine which kind of gun are you getting? I understand that once you�´re talking of a non collectable shooter it shouldn�´t matter so much but since these are fine guns with some history... i just wonder.

Thank you all for your time,

0-0
ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 07:15 PM   #2
wterrell
User

Ronin,
The serial number of the Luger is the frame number. The other parts should be matched to it.
wterrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
Frank
RIP
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Red face

Ronin, I have seen Lugers with the frame from one pistol, a barrel & receiver from another and the toggle linkage made up from parts of several others. Who knows where some of the small parts came from. The governing serial number is the one on the frame, below the barrel. That's about all one can use for heritage. [img]confused.gif[/img]
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2002, 08:57 PM   #4
ronin
User

Thank you Gentlemen.

I�´m learning already, I can feel it!!! [img]wink.gif[/img]

0-0
Unread 07-05-2002, 10:46 AM   #5
edalpha
User

Ronin, I own a lugar with a 1936 s/42 frame and 1942 Byf cannon. The serial number on the frame is the governing number that is used for ID and registation purposes. What is interesting about this gun is that the 2 digit part numbers all match to either the frame or the cannon. This gun is made from one complete half of another gun. The guy that I bought it from said that he thought that it was "slapped" together during the war in a desperate attempt to get more weapons out into the field. Who Knows! All I know is that it is still considered a "shooter" and I love it. It's kind-of-nice having the 2 different years combined together. I like the looks of the strawed parts on the 1936 frame and the cannon is in excellent condition. I'm also amazed that for a gun which has never been reblued, both halves match very well.

ED
edalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2002, 12:51 PM   #6
ronin
User

Ok, so definitely Lugers are not only fine guns but also some also have a piece of history hopefully attached to them.

Very interesting, is that a feature or a bonus?

0-0